iphone personal hotspot or Mobile Hotspots / Verizon Jetpack

gabshere

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 20, 2006
Rison , Arkansas
my wife and I currently have Verizon plan that is shared i think it has700m voice, unlimited messages, 2gb data ( for about 160 p/month)

my iphone 4 has the ability to be a hotspot ( i think it says i have to check with verizon to set it up ) don't know if this entails a cost

we mostly wifi when we are at home so our data usage is normally low ( maybe 250 mb per month at most) but my job change has recently and wifi isn't always available for me plus i would like to surf the internet a bit with my laptop

i think my usage would be low for personal hotspot also but i think the iphone is limited to 3g and the Verizon Jetpack is 4g/LTE

my plan is not a share everything plan but if i understood this plan i could have the 2 iphones ( $40 each) get the jet pack ($20) and get the data plan and still clock in close to what i'm paying now (2gb @ $60 or 4GB @$70 ) for a total of $160 or $170

is my thinking correct on this ?

thanks

Yep I think you have the pricing right. We have the share everything plan with 3 iPhones and 3 basic phones. We also have an LTE iPad 4 and LTE iPad Mini but we never bothered to activate those because personal hotspot is able to give those devices Internet from our iPads with no additional fees.

The share everything plans include mobile hotspot for free. The older separate plans require an additional fee to use that feature. We always connect our devices through my iPhone 5 when we are traveling together because it can do up to 40Mb or 50Mb download over LTE. The other two are iPhone 4S 3G devices. They are usable with hotspot but you'd be lucky to hit 3Mb download.

If you don't have an LTE phone to use hotspot you would probably want that jetpack for any real usage. If you have an upgrade available I would consider moving up to an iPhone 5 or LTE android phone though. You can get the same jetpack LTE sharing performance without paying the $20 monthly fee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

thanks this was exactly what i was thinking ... my upgrade comes in the middle of August so i will try to search my options. as for Iphone 5 or android type phones

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts