Iphone prices dropped

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Was doing a little reading at work (I work for AT&T Wireless) and the Iphones have a price drop starting today through Jan 31, 08

$200 off now........so its $299 for 4GB model and $399 for 8GB model

also they discontinued the 4GB model

just thought I'd let you guys know :)

Looks like Apple decided that the iPhone was not moving off the shelves quick enough.

I am glad that I didn't rush out to buy one when they first hit the market.

yep :)

If you got one in the last 14 days you can get the price adjustment but before that...nope

Looks like Apple decided that the iPhone was not moving off the shelves quick enough.

I don't know about this one. They are set to sell their 1,000,000 iPhone in September. Not bad numbers since they have only been out for a couple of months. Just think what the numbers could have been if they didn't do the AT&T exclusive.

IPod / iPhone / iEverything for that matter; seems people will soon catch on that there are better alternatives (cost & quality). IMHO in the case of the iPhone (for the money) I will carry the one extra device if need be. So is the screen size (the most useful separating feature to me) worth all that extra cash along with being forced to use crappy AT&T?

IPod / iPhone / iEverything for that matter; seems people will soon catch on that there are better alternatives (cost & quality). IMHO in the case of the iPhone (for the money) I will carry the one extra device if need be. So is the screen size (the most useful separating feature to me) worth all that extra cash along with being forced to use crappy AT&T?

I'm happy with the Mogul on Sprint's EVDO network. Stream TV, Videos, MP3's etc via Orb from the home pc. A lot cheaper and much faster network.

Can you change the batteries on the new Ipods?

I saw this kid...yes kid...looked 10..with an IPhone outside the restaurant waiting like everyone else. He was marking out to his IPhone to everyone..I told him "I betcha I can do something faster with my Mogul than your IPhone." "My IPhone is fast man!" "I'll even turn mine off and you leave yours on. I'll go first." So I popped the battery cover off pulled the battery out...popped it back in... "Your turn..." He gave me this blank stare.

They must have figured out everybody willing to pay the big bucks already got theirs, and they want to sell some more of them.

We have several customers wanting to blame our standards-based SMTP/IMAP/POP3 for their email problems. Funny thing, nobody using any other device to access our email servers has any problems.

This sucks. I am at the end of my US Cellular contract and was planning on buying 2 Helio Oceans because of the price/features. Now the 4Gig iPhone steps in at the same price range, many of the features I was looking for, and on a network that is better known in my area. Now I gotta decide whether EDGE web browsing will be sufficient, or if the "true" web browsing of the Ocean is worth the risk of a relatively unknown provider (and now my wife is gonna dogg me about getting the iPhone because it is "cool", and "everybody has an iPhone", and "nobody has even heard of this helio thing")

EDGE is ok for browsing in an emergency. I do not reccomend using it all the time, but it is convient when you want to look something up. Faster than dialup, but what else works in the store when you want find out if something is really a good buy or such. 5 minutes to look something up much better than having to go find out some other way. I have had it on my cell phone for a couple years, I use it a couple times a week. I have considered an iPhone, but I really want a 16GB version.

When I travel the EDGE comes in handy, can check email, bring up weather radar, etc. I have tethered it to the laptop for extensive use (probably cannot tether an iPhone). It seems faster than dialup.

mike- GPRS was advertised at 120kbps max but typical was 60 kbps when you had good T-Mobile signal. The Edge is said to top out at 4 times that. I have not heard too many Edge users brag about who great it is.

The only really great wireless broadband is EVDO (A) this is only available now on laptops with the latest Express card transceiver. I have that and often get 2.4 Mbps but in the country, it goes down to 1.5 Mbps. At these rates, surfing the internet appears as fast as cable modems.

The Apple price drop was predicted but not until November.
Personally, I like to see one when they release a CDMA version with EVDO (A). Add battery replacement and mini or micro SD card, and then the iphone will be the device it bragged it would be. I may even pay the original asking price for one.

Ice- you said they quoted bew a price for the 4 Gig iphone and then that it was discontinued. Does that make sense?

With the price drop one wonders if a new model is coming out soon. I wonder if this is the Sony PS3 60 strategy. Drop the price, sell through inventory (probably a lot of inventory), then come out with a new one at the original price. I would like to see 16-32GB memory and a faster connection (EDVO would be nice).

Mike- EVDO will only work on a CDMA system. GSM may support future technology that is faster than G3 but as of right now it will be a long way from EVDO, and now, EVDO (A).

As many people point out, they don't need that speed in their mobile device. I'm not in that camp. I travel way too much to be restricted by available wifi, so for me to demo a video stream in a hurry when out with a customer can make a huge difference in signing up another VOD customer for my business.

I continue to predict that Apple will (soon) release a CDMA version unless they have an agreement with AT&T not to. Since the CDMA would be an entirely different phone technology, I'd think that it would be exempt from exclusivity restrictions, but I haven't seen their agreement. One thing is certain, there are not many loose lips in this business.

Also, I just heard that AT&T is really hopping mad at Apple over the Hotz Crack. Reports are that AT&T is using the David & Goliath approach in threatening any website that publishes the unlocking method, since they can't resolve it in court. Should be interesting whether these 3rd parties will actually sell the service. But the most hilarious part of the unlocking hack is that T-Mobile is not that much better for service quality than AT&T / Cingular. So, while this unlock is technically interesting, I don't see it as anything to get excited over business wise.

Well it looks like too many were upset about the price drop. Apple is now offering $100 rebates to those that bought more than 14 days ago, 14 and less can get the full 200 refunded.

I heard it was $100 off another purchase at the apple store?
Same thing.... anybody who paid that price for a phone from Apple is an Apple fanboy and will be spending more money in their stores in the future. 100 dollar store credit just helps them out by not requiring them to bring their wallet with them next time ;) (just kidding... sorta)

New Computer Build

PC will not recognize MP3 player?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts