iPhone vs PDA phone

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
BACKGROUND:

So my Motorola RAZR is 2 years old, which means the carefully designed in obsolescence has kicked in. The battery sorely needs replacement, and the outside screen no longer works.

Of course, I went to the amazing dot com place to see about ordering a new battery. Plenty of such batteries for $5-$10, but apparently they are all counterfeits. Sometimes they work, sometimes not. IIRC the Cingular- ah, uh, err- the AT&T store online "might" have it available for a price a bit over $40. I think Motorola no longer has such batteries available. Other places online showed "unavailable" or had no listing.

I went to a local AT&T store. Not a franchise shop, a real, corporate operated AT&T store.

Side note: For a couple years, I carried around an iPAQ 3850 PDA. Stopped because it was too bulky & I looked ridiculous with a phone and a PDA on my belt.

THE iPHONE

I looked over a few phones there, as the place was a little crowded. When my chance at a sales critter arose, I took it. I told the guy I wanted a PDA phone, since I really missed some PDA functions. I forget exactly why, but we quickly narrowed down to the iPhone 3G.

I was looking for something that would sync with my Outlook calendar. I also wanted something that could at least read a small Excel spreadsheet, and preferably allow some editing (adding a line comprised of 3 or 4 columns). Some minimal word processing was assumed. I wasn't too interested in music, or much online stuff (although I admitted if I had it, I would use it). The only way I'd hit email on it would be via web mail. The calculator I saw was fine. Being able to read some news, perhaps via RSS subs, would be nice. Reading an e-book or magazine was desired but not an absolute requirement. A bookmarkable audio book would be nice.

I'm on a 3 phone family plan, paying just over $100 per month. Sales Critter said I'd pay an additional $30 per month, no more, for unlimited service, including internet and all data services.

I walked out of the store with an 8GB iPhone. He set up my BT headset for me.

THE DREAM SOURS

I later learned he thought spreadsheets were a part of Outlook. Ungood.

I discovered, much to my shock, that the iPhone does not support voice dialing. My Motorolas and Nokias do. Or, did. Well, that is a VERY BIG drawback for me, but, maybe I could do without.

I couldn't find anything supporting spreadsheets.

No real word processing, just a very minimalist "Notes." Might be good enough for a grocery list.

Called the store with questions and went thru a voicemail system that eventually hung up on me. Drove over. Asked questions. Ungood answers. Had me call, in store (I think they wanted to know the answers too) to Customer Service. CS Verified no SS support (although maybe something about reading an email attachment) and no known 3rd party product for that. No voice dialing feature, and there will never be a 3rd party solution because the phone simply cannot support it.

The idiot guide online is of almost no use. The PDF is better, but not great- at least of what I've seen of it so far. Mapping is slow and I'm not too sure how useful it would be, but frankly that's not what I was looking for, so any functionality in that area is lagniappe.

Camera seems nice enough, overall interface is nice. The "App Store" seems to connect about half the time, although I'm in a strong signal area.

Can't move over my "Riverdance" ring tone from my Motorola. It seems I must go to the iTunes store, buy some music, and they'll convert it into a ring tone for me. DK if they have Riverdance, but I doubt it. And I must do this from a PC!

iTunes button doesn't work except on wifi. I assume it will dl music and little else.

Still need to reset weather to local area. Weather and time default to Cupertino.

I did visit SatGuys using it, and learned to double tap to make the print just large enough to read, with reading glasses on top of my bifocal contact lenses. PDA mode helped.

Actually, I was expecting too much from the store- they sell the product but are not experts on it. I was referred to certain Apple Stores in the area. Where I should call and schedule an appointment in order to be ushered in to their august presence, and where I might get some answers. You'd think I was asking for an appointment with Bill Gates.

THE QUESTIONS

Those of you familiar with the iPhone or any "smart" phone- does what I'm looking for exist? Too much to expect?

Is there any way to at least read a small Excel SS on the iPhone?

Is the sync with Outlook truly functional, to where I can read, and dare I say it, "add" or "edit" calendar entries?

Just how useful is the "Notes" function?

Any knowledge about eBooks or audio books?

I can return it for a 10% restocking fee. But then I'd still need a phone, since the RAZR is dying and it's battery is almost dead (& I may or may not be able to buy a genuine replacement). If I should return it, is there a phone that will do what I need, or is it back to a phone and a separate PDA? Maybe a new, smaller, PDA?

It sounds like you need a phone with Windows mobile on it. The problem I had with the Windows mobile phones is the Windows part. I am pretty sure that the Moto Q does pretty much everythng you are looking for.

Have you also seen ispreadsheet in the app store. Never used it but it might do the trick for you.

Never heard of it. But googling it, it sure seems to fit the bill. Maybe I'd better make that appointment after all.

Looks like I can get books & video for it from the local library.

This sucker might be a keeper.

Is there any way to at least read a small Excel SS on the iPhone?
You should be able to read a spreadsheet but not edit it. I am not famiiar with the app mentioned, but go for it. Windows Mobile is the only platform that lets you edit Excel spreadsheets in native form. However, most screens are very small, and the phone functions are far less than the PC functions.[/quote]

Is the sync with Outlook truly functional, to where I can read, and dare I say it, "add" or "edit" calendar entries?
If you have an Exchange Server you can do everything on the iPhone you can do from your PC desktop, including manage and sync email, contacts and appointments. What changes on your iPhone changes on your Exchange server and vice versa. What's missing is Tasks -- a notable omission, IMHO. Blackberry and Windows Mobile enable you to do all, plus allow you to seamlessly turn emails into calendar appointments. You need to have a Microsoft Exchange server account with some provider (generally about $15 a month). Blackberry capability requires a BB Enterprise account (generally a small add-on from your Exchange server host), plus Blackberry BES service from your wireless provider.[/quote]

Just how useful is the "Notes" function?
Nowhere near as usable as Windows Mobile and Blackberry. The iPhone also has as lot of catching up to do to come up with a desktop app that shows your messages, appointments, tasks and notes at a glance, the way Windows Mobile and, to some extent, Blackberry do.

Any knowledge about eBooks or audio books?
None. Sorry.

Bottom line:
Windows Mobile would be the perfect platform if it had: way faster speeds; sharper and more colorful screen and the ability to be seen outdoors; and far greater stability. Because it doesn't yet, I can't give it a hardy recommendation. My experience with Windows Mobile was I got more frustrated about the lack of all those than about what it could do.

Blackberry is far more seamless than Windows Mobile but it lacks some of the attributes, including a lousy browser. Desktop integration also is awkward, and the BES fee for full on-the-go integration is extortionate. However, BB phones are consistently well-made and very stable, they give superb reception and control over the phone individuality, and the newest model, available from Verizon soon, is supposed to be able to give you better editing access to Office docs, a touch screen and a better browser.

IPhone: I use one because I work with a developer. I have found the web browser far over anything else's, and the ease of use and stunning screen graphics is without peer. The reception is quite good where AT&T signal is strong. (There are a few places in Des Moines where it isn't; grrrrrr.) And it is wi-fi capable, which is a big plus considering how slow AT&T is to roll out its 3G network. Its minuses are as I described, plus no external memory or removable battery. But if there's one thing you can count on from Apple, it is they are quick to respond to consumer demand, and I wouldn't be surprised if firmware upgrades in the months to come address some of these concerns.

So . . .

If you need a PC in your pocket, go for the Windows Mobile phone, and be prepared to reset it several times a day. If you want greater business functionality, don't care about paying more for it, and don't mind that it speaks business and not friendliness, go for the Blackberry. If you want some of what's good now and want to gamble that Apple will come thru for its phone the way it's come thru for its other consumer enterprises, go with the iPhone.

The other app you might want to check out in the App store is "Air Sharing". It allows you to sync with your computer and save various files (Word, Excel etc..) to your iPhone. (Note: Viewing only- no editing allowed)

As much as it might sound like heresy between the iPhone and WinMob, the Palm OS based phones might be an option. There is support for most document formats as well as PDFs.

My MotoQ seems to do what you've asked for. I can't believe that the Almighty iPhone would not surpass my old antiquated MotoQ in all areas of usability and such :( I like my simple, usable, and cheap old motoQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts