Iptv Coming To The Big Dish

whitewolf8214

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
May 13, 2004
Space
IPTV coming to the Big Dish by NPS as soon as spring of 2007.What do you think. A receiver as low as 250.00 and you can keep the dish on one satellite.

Whatever can be done on the big dish should be able to be done on the small dish even better I would think. I wonder how they are going to accomplish this and what the offerings are going to be and the price of getting the content.

The issue here is it will still be compressed, just because its sent in IP format does not mean better quality. IPTV Via satellite is just a different transmission method over DVB, which in its own right is a digital tranmission.

I think, the main reason that NPS is looking at this technology is that a lot of the programming is going to formats that are not compatible with the 4DTV receivers. It's not a matter of better picture it's a matter of being able to display the channels at all. In particular, are the HD channels. Most HD channels can't be decoded by our receivers. There's also a lot of SD, but NPS has been doing a pretty good job of re-uplinking most of those channels. They just don't have space to re-uplink HD channels though.

Last I heard, IPTV was still in the planning stages for NPS. They're looking at various providers but they've got a ways to go yet.

Isn't this also being looked at to offer VOD? This way you can access any program at any time? That is the future of television.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)