IPtv + OTA + DBS/FTA + PVR/DVR + ...

mobav

Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
Dallas, Texas, U.S.
Recently decided to bite the bullet and find a way to live with 'less' paid media services .
Specifically for this discussion that mainly means getting some sort of combination of capabilities (IPtv + OTA + FTA + PVR/DVR + etc.) which will replace the 1st tier cable services (ie, TimeWarner or Verizon FiOS) that I have been subscribed to here in my neighborhood.

My search for suitable technology products has so far lead me to a Roku 2 XS which I have ordered and should arrive here in a few days. The other two pieces of capability that I'd like to find a solution for are OTA and PVR/DVR. Ideally those would interoperate with the Roku 2 XS in some smooth fashion (ie. - OTA streams to Roku , Roku streams to PVR , aggregated EPG for OTA + IPtv) .

Since I haven't had hands on experience with the Roku yet, I'm not sure what is possible as far as integration of OTA and PVR . But, from a reading of Roku information it looks like it is well supported by the mfg and the developer community ... so, hopefully a good integration of these capabilities becomes apparent, soon.

Maybe this forum / community can advise what is known to work well for Roku + OTA + DBS/FTA + PVR/DVR . DBS/FTA is not a high priority initially, but I mention it because I have thoughts of somehow making use of a DishNetwork Dish 500 Plus system that I have sitting around from previous subscribed service ~5yrs ago. However, I am reluctant to subscribe to DishNetwork again - not because of any dissatisfaction with previous DishNetwork service, but because the whole goal of this effort is to minimize any recurring subscription fees .

Another idea for OTA + PVR is to purchase a FTA receiver like an iLink or Pansat that has ATSC + PVR capability. I don't have any practical experience with FTA or time and $ to pursue that feature set at this point. But, if the ATSC + PVR features of the FTA receiver was a straight forward solution working with the Roku then it might be a reasonable purchase at this time , and I may have time and $ later to build out the rest of the FTA system.

Anyhow, lots of ideas floating around ... but I'd be pretty happy to save time by just cloning someone's known working suite of components that provides most of the needed capability.

Finally, a budget for this needs to be <$200 ... hopefully .

Thanks in advance for some good ideas and details about well functioning Roku + OTA + PVR integrations .

hi,
nice project you are doing, i am also trying to do similar thing like that...but i all terms you are mentioning is new to me...i have trying to do set up a basic ISP and IpTV network
ISP only is getting tough for me right now...hope somebody will point you the right direction soon

You would really need a 30" dish, minimum, for FTA. As for a combo of IPtv+FTA+OTA+PVR, there are only a couple that you will find and each have their faults (Coolsat 8100 & Pansat 9200). There's also the AZBox, but they've discontinued the ones that could take two tuners. Check out: http://www.satelliteguys.us/azbox-discussion/259074-azbox-does-all-3.html. Also, you could build your own, using Win7 or Linux (check out: Video Components) and maybe add a FTA card on it too.

For just IPtv+OTA+PVR, there is also TIVO (TiVo Premiere: much more than a DVR - TiVo) and Channel Master (Channel Master TV | www.channelmaster.com) boxes.

For just IPtv+OTA+PVR, there is also TIVO (TiVo Premiere: much more than a DVR - TiVo) and Channel Master (Channel Master TV | Home) boxes.

I looked at TIVO Premiere and it is enticing at $150, except for the subscription aspect and a "1-year commitment" or a $350 purchase price plus a $20 No-commitment monthly service pricing . Although it's only ~$15/mo it's still a subscription which is what I'm trying to minimize ... most contracts are anathema IMHO. That said, the TIVO Premiere may be an acceptable compromise given the $15 subscription .vs. a minimum of ~$80 for a moderately configured cable subscription . Then there is the question of content availability ; does Tivo Premiere have as much content available (without a cable subscription) as Roku ?

For now, I'm still going to pursue Roku + something.

Another piece of tech that looks sort of promising on paper is the SiliconDust network connected ATSC tuner products : HDHR3-US and TECH3-US .
I haven't yet determined if Roku can stream content from these SiliconDust boxes .

I looked at TIVO Premiere and it is enticing at $150, except for the subscription aspect and a "1-year commitment" or a $350 purchase price plus a $20 No-commitment monthly service pricing . Although it's only ~$15/mo it's still a subscription which is what I'm trying to minimize ... most contracts are anathema IMHO. That said, the TIVO Premiere may be an acceptable compromise given the $15 subscription .vs. a minimum of ~$80 for a moderately configured cable subscription . Then there is the question of content availability ; does Tivo Premiere have as much content available (without a cable subscription) as Roku ?For now, I'm still going to pursue Roku + something.Another piece of tech that looks sort of promising on paper is the SiliconDust network connected ATSC tuner products : HDHR3-US and TECH3-US .I haven't yet determined if Roku can stream content from these SiliconDust boxes .
Plex has a HD Homerun plug-in that allows streaming of ota signals from a networked HD Homerun. It should work with the Plex Channel in a Roku box. But since I don't have a HD Homerun yet, I can't confirm. Some Plex plug-ins have problems with Roku devices.

Plex has a HD Homerun plug-in that allows streaming of ota signals from a networked HD Homerun. It should work with the Plex Channel in a Roku box. But since I don't have a HD Homerun yet, I can't confirm. Some Plex plug-ins have problems with Roku devices.

I think he will need a PC with the Plex server software on it, then add the plugin for HD Homerun and finally add the Plex add-on to the Roku. Given that the Roku is compatible with only a few stream types, the Plex server may need to transcode the stream for the Roku, which may require a decently powerful PC...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)