IPTV Users...

@ the highlighted:
I find that confusing too. What version of VLC are you using?

I'm not positive. I have a half dozen different versions loaded here. It was one of the following 3 though, in the order of likelihood:
0.9.0 Grishenko
1.0.3 Goldeneye
0.8.5-svn-20051216-1318

I'm not positive. I have a half dozen different versions loaded here. It was one of the following 3 though, in the order of likelihood:
0.9.0 Grishenko
1.0.3 Goldeneye
0.8.5-svn-20051216-1318

I use the one highlighted above. I tried using the latest 1.10, or is it 1.0.10, but it didn't work either. Besides, it does not have the drop down to chose UDP, Http, etc in menu.

iptv also seemed to break my pvr capabilities. last night i could record 1 hour then it quit. then any attempt to record again would fail. today i removed the iptv channels and the http_streams file and im recording again.

crackt out,.

:confused: Then I'm an idiot too, because I don't understand completely either.:eek:
But UDP and HTTP are just 2 formats that are used to transfer data across a network, ie user datagram protocol and hypertext transfer protocol. I'm not completely sure why, but it seems like HTTP (which is also used for web page communications too), seems most commonly used for live streaming of video data, and UDP seems to be more applicable for transfer of files. I'm not sure which format is the fastest. With my Roku HD1000, HTTP streaming is significantly faster than UDP streaming, however with the Azbox, it seems like UDP is about twice as fast as HTTP, so I'm guessing that the differences must be mainly in the efficiency of the programs doing the streaming more than the specific protocols. BTW, there are a lot of data transponders on satellite that are sending IP/DVB type data, and if you have TSREADER, you can see the specifics of the transfers. Whenever you see a handfull of mac addresses with high IP#s, starting in the 224.x.x.x range or 239.x.x.x, these are often transfer of video by UDP format, whereas if you see a bunch of mac numbers sending in http format, it's usually regular internet transfers.
I am not sure about this, just guessing, but I get the impression that UDP is usually used within a LAN rather than over the internet, and is usually used for binary data, and I THINK that UDP involves less overhead of communications between sender and receiver, and may be a little less reliable relative to errors. I also think that UDP can be used to send to multiple receivers, but I have no idea of how that works. I do know that sometimes if you find a UDP stream on sat, that sometimes you can have that stream repeated over your network, and VLC can play the video if you key in the proper destination IP#, but usually you can't do this because the data is often in proprietary formats.
Anyway, I'm really confused by the differences between these two formats, because it seems like UDP would be better for streaming live video, but it seems like HTTP is what is used, and I don't have a clue why.

UDP is a connectionless protocol and it doesn't verify packets. In other words, it doesn't guarantee that the sent packet was received. That's why it's faster because HTTP utilizes TCP which does verify packet transmission and is therefore slower.

whats the url? there is an iptv option under the tv settings in the menu. enter the info there and an iptv category appears under the live tv channel menu. its listed with the sats youve scanned. the info can also be placed in a file called http_streams.txt. this file is ftp'd to DISK2 and after a reboot the same iptv category will appear.

crackt out,.

IPTV

My experience with iptv is it leaves too much to be desired. If you do not have at least 3g high speed, the buffer will make it next to impossible to watch television. Then, after one has iptv, myself, and several others have reported that it makes your receiver flaky. Well, it does! It caused my receiver to have grayed out channel list.
Finally, I had to reformat my receiver, and now with the latest firmware my receiver performs like brand new. Myself, I would never reinstall the feature iptv. There are televisions on the market now that feature iptv. Google it, and you can find numerous televisions that provide this feature.

I could watch only 1 iptv channel on the http_streams.txt file. Is anybody able to watch say 50% of the channels? Only DW shows on my azbox.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts