IR Question for Dish Receivers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Monomach

Original poster
May 26, 2004
I just setup a new home theater PC with Windows Vista Ulimate and can see the satellite signal from my 6000u Dish receiver using the TV tuner card. My problems started when I tried to use the Windows Media Center remote with an IR blaster to control the 6000u receiver. I could not get it to work and some research shows while the remote does both IR and UHF the IR is apparently only for additional components you would want to control with that remote if you were using it as a universal remote.

This leads me to two questions:

1) Does anyone know if it is possible to switch the 6000u to use IR for the set-top-box? I saw this was possible for some receivers (811) but have yet to find anything for the 6000u.

2) If this isn't possible can anyone recommend a good receiver that DOES use IR (either by default or is able to be switched to it). I don't really need a PVR since Windows Vista can do that just a quality receiver. Perhaps someone is using one successfully with Vista and MCE and would like to share some pointers or their experience.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks

I just setup a new home theater PC with Windows Vista Ulimate and can see the satellite signal from my 6000u Dish receiver using the TV tuner card. My problems started when I tried to use the Windows Media Center remote with an IR blaster to control the 6000u receiver. I could not get it to work and some research shows while the remote does both IR and UHF the IR is apparently only for additional components you would want to control with that remote if you were using it as a universal remote.

This leads me to two questions:

1) Does anyone know if it is possible to switch the 6000u to use IR for the set-top-box? I saw this was possible for some receivers (811) but have yet to find anything for the 6000u.

2) If this isn't possible can anyone recommend a good receiver that DOES use IR (either by default or is able to be switched to it). I don't really need a PVR since Windows Vista can do that just a quality receiver. Perhaps someone is using one successfully with Vista and MCE and would like to share some pointers or their experience.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
If your using a 6000 still you can't be very interested in HDTV so any basic DISH receiver should give you the IR capabilities.

I'm not really interested in the HD part of it. I have a vip 622 for my main room. I just want to watch some shows when I use the PC in another room so down convert to SD is fine.

n0qcu -
I know the remote does IR but will the box receive it? I have tried a universal remote and cannot seem to control the 6000u. Is there anything I need to do on the 6000u to tell it to use the IR instead of the UHF?

Most universa.l remotes use DISH remote address of 1.
You miht need to change the address the 6000 is using to 1 if it is any other setting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)