IRENE

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

R0ss

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 14, 2009
Ayer, Ma
Realistically I was anticipating a significant loss of signal at some point as Irene passed through North Central Mass.
Was very pleased that, with the exception of a couple of very brief loss of signal episodes, we had signal thus news and weather throughout.
Rain was very heavy, as was the wind. Knowing the cloud cover was thick, full of moisture, and swirling I am very pleased with Dish at the moment.

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Here in Florida (around Tampa) I've ridden through several hurricanes, albeit on their fringes with no loss of signal. However, in summer, LOS is a near daily occurance with the thunderstorms which roll though.

Frankly, being almost directly in the line of the eye, I was expecting my dish (1000.4 without any brace arms) and my neighbors' to come flying past my window at any moment. Not only did it stay affixed, but it appears to be still aimed properly.

Most of the meteorologists got the track a bit wrong (the eye appeared to actually pass just to the west of Manhattan, while I'm just to the East) but their big error was intensity. Winds were quite a bit more tame than they predicted. The only guys who seemed to know what they were talking about were our local guy on CBS (Lonnie Quinn) and the Fox meteorologist, Rick Reichmuth (sp?).

Last edited:
Realistically I was anticipating a significant loss of signal at some point as Irene passed through North Central Mass.
Was very pleased that, with the exception of a couple of very brief loss of signal episodes, we had signal thus news and weather throughout.
Rain was very heavy, as was the wind. Knowing the cloud cover was thick, full of moisture, and swirling I am very pleased with Dish at the moment.

Ross

Wow, neighbor near by in Ayer :) No loss here either... worked like a charm through the whole storm which made me very happy.

-Mike

nlk10010 said:
Frankly, being almost directly in the line of the eye, I was expecting my dish (1000.4 without any brace arms) and my neighbors' to come flying past my window at any moment. Not only did it stay affixed, but it appears to be still aimed properly.

Most of the meteorologists got the track a bit wrong (the eye appeared to actually pass just to the west of Manhattan, while I'm just to the East) but their big error was intensity. Winds were quite a bit more tame than they predicted. The only guys who seemed to know what they were talking about were our local guy on CBS (Lonnie Quinn) and the Fox meteorologist, Rick Reichmuth (sp?).

Frankly I was pretty happy with the outcome. Sure the track was off a bit, but it was much more accurate than before computer models and even early weather sats.
Glad the winds were not as intense too. However it is better to be prepared for something worse than what happens.

Ross

Central NJ. We lost locals only several times on Sunday for 20 minutes or so each time. All OTA (except for NJN) was also out during those periods. Seemed like their transmission went down in Manhattan.

ESPN supposedly switched ABC programming to ESPN so the local channel could report on Irene, but we never saw the (Satutday) LLWS or NASCAR events like they said. Instead we got ESPN and ESPNU showing the same content. On Sunday, the LLWS final was on the ESPN alternate channel in SD.

Bad wind all night & lots of rain, but no damage. Dish had no problems at all until loss of power at midnight Sat. Switched in the Generator early Sunday & Dish was still on-line. OTA was shaky/in-and-out all evening with the wind/rain.

Dish trumps the local Power Co; still waiting for the power...

Frankly I was pretty happy with the outcome. Sure the track was off a bit, but it was much more accurate than before computer models and even early weather sats.
Glad the winds were not as intense too. However it is better to be prepared for something worse than what happens.

Ross

I agree, the very reason you need to take these things (e.g. hurricanes) seriously is because weather prediction has been and is still quite often inaccurate, at least until the storm is right on top of you, when it does little good. But, as you pointed out, weather science has improved from virtually non-existent to at least having a formal structure with some early warning benefits.

The western track of Irene came to the forefront about a day in advance of its landing in NY and, as I say, the intensity was off somewhat. The inland damage was "amazingly terrible", however, and my sympathies to those who suffer(ed) from it.

Central NJ. We lost locals only several times on Sunday for 20 minutes or so each time. All OTA (except for NJN) was also out during those periods. Seemed like their transmission went down in Manhattan.

I watched coverage on both WWOR and WPIX, never lost the signal for either station. Wondering if the stations use separate uplink facilities for the NYC market and cities not part of the DMA that get them as Superstations.

After huricane Wilma less than 10% of my sat customers had issues mostly impact damage from down trees etc. Most had tv as soon as they hooked up their generators. No power for weeks, but Fema was subsidizing generators so tv was no problem. I sold a lot of new sat customers due to comcast beeing out for weeks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)