Iron Man - or, how to shake people's confidence in Blu-Ray

The ones in my part of Oklahoma were charging $29.96. I guess a Target or some other big box store has to be nearby for Wal-Mart to go any lower. Sam's Club had it for just under $29. Called other stores like Hastings, fye, etc. They wanted $35. Blah. Amazon gets my business yet again.
There are a few states, Oklahoma is one, where they are not allowed to sell anything at a "loss", so that kills a lot of sales at stores in those states.

When Toshiba sold off all their HD-A2 players for $99, Okies still had to pay full price.

There are a few states, Oklahoma is one, where they are not allowed to sell anything at a "loss", so that kills a lot of sales at stores in those states.

When Toshiba sold off all their HD-A2 players for $99, Okies still had to pay full price.

Perhaps, and perhaps not, the HD-A2 were sold at a loss. But this BD is not being sold at a loss. MSRP is way above cost to the retailers.

Picked it up yesterday at BB and ~$25 here as well. When prompted at the BDLive screen, took about 10s - 20s to download; obviously the initial load on their servers seems to be ok for now. PS3 played it without a problem and quality of audio and video was great. I hadn't seen this in the theatres and was looking forward to this movie. It didn't let me down. :)

-Mike

Ditto, same experience here. Great movie........

Not sure about most retailers. Its $25.95 at Target and $25.86 at Wal-mart For once even Best Buy has it at $25.99.
$25.99 + tax is about $30 for a movie. Who the hell wants to spend that? BD prices have been crazy from the start and with no comp don't look forward to prices falling. If I'm going to get raped for $30 a pop I'd expect the product to be flawless which alot of these disk are far from.

Most probably didn't even look at the price of Iron Man. It's the other titles that you've got a good point about. I'll pay $30+ for Iron Man, Hulk, Dark Knight. Not sure anything else will come out until next fall that I could justify paying that much for though, by then hopefully we get closer to a $15 catalog $20 new release pricing scheme.

When you're starting a collection of movies in Blu-ray format a few bucks saved on each title definitely adds up to a significant amount of money.

If I had paid $29.96 + tax for my copy of Iron Man that would have been nearly $7 above what Amazon charged ($25.95 and no sales tax & free shipping).

I saved even more ordering The Godfather online. It was $61 at Amazon. The lowest local retail price was nearly $70 plus sales tax (bringing the total over $75).

Earlier in September, I ordered the Kill Bill movies from Amazon for $20 each. Local retailers were wanting nearly $30 each. So instead of paying $60 plus tax I spent $40 instead.

Over the past month I've saved close to $40 on four different Blu-ray releases by getting them online versus paying for "instant gratification" via retail.

During the early years of the DVD format prices on movie discs were pretty high, so I ordered online quite a bit more often. I started buying from retail stores more often when movie studios started getting aggressive in their pricing strategies (like pricing The Matrix DVD under $15 when it was first released).

Sony announces wholesale Blu-Ray movie prices - Engadget HD

Given the age, less than what that link says. Im sure someone can find a better source.

Dude, that was a link from 2006 - they aren't competing with HDDVD anymore so I seriously doubt they stayed that low. I'm betting whatever Walmart sells them for regularly is a 3% markup from their cost, which is lower than wholesale and when they go on sale the first week out, they are selling them at a loss wherever they can, within MAP limits if they apply.

But like was suggested, I'll pay what they ask for Iron Man or Dark Knight. They should cut prices in half for any title that is one year old or older.

$25.99 + tax is about $30 for a movie. Who the hell wants to spend that? BD prices have been crazy from the start and with no comp don't look forward to prices falling. If I'm going to get raped for $30 a pop I'd expect the product to be flawless which alot of these disk are far from.

You are paying more than 15% tax. Ow! I thought 8.625% (my local and NY tax) was high. Time to consider some other source such as the internet.

ps: In NY, Amazon.com is now collecting taxes.

When you're starting a collection of movies in Blu-ray format a few bucks saved on each title definitely adds up to a significant amount of money.

If I had paid $29.96 + tax for my copy of Iron Man that would have been nearly $7 above what Amazon charged ($25.95 and no sales tax & free shipping).

I saved even more ordering The Godfather online. It was $61 at Amazon. The lowest local retail price was nearly $70 plus sales tax (bringing the total over $75).

Earlier in September, I ordered the Kill Bill movies from Amazon for $20 each. Local retailers were wanting nearly $30 each. So instead of paying $60 plus tax I spent $40 instead.

Over the past month I've saved close to $40 on four different Blu-ray releases by getting them online versus paying for "instant gratification" via retail.

During the early years of the DVD format prices on movie discs were pretty high, so I ordered online quite a bit more often. I started buying from retail stores more often when movie studios started getting aggressive in their pricing strategies (like pricing The Matrix DVD under $15 when it was first released).

Amazon is definitely the easiest way to guarantee a good price, but they can be found at retail, too, if you do a little shopping.

Kill Bill could be found a few weeks ago at Fry's (which I realize everyone doesn't have) for something like $26 or $27 minus $10 if you bought both together, plus they had a $10 per movie rebate from the studio...for a total of like $12 or $13 per movie. Wal-Mart.com had them for $23 also, and BB would price match that (I know, I did it), and I still used the $10 rebate which, by the way, the Amazon copies didn't have. So I'm actually getting mine cheaper than I would have from Amazon.

Same thing for the Godfather - BB.com and Wal-Mart.com both had it for $61.95 the first week it was out, and even if you couldn't find it for that at BB, again, you could take a walmart.com printout in there and get BB to price-match. Yes, you'd still pay sales tax, but still...

And don't forget, many websites will sell cheaper than their B&M counterparts, but most of them offer some version of in-store pickup, where you can still have it in your hands the same day.

It is a little more work, I admit, but I always prefer to walk in and pick something up as opposed to waiting for it to be delivered.

Good ratio IMO given the target audience... just comic fans who subscribe to the Marvel newsletter:

Which version of the "Iron Man" DVD do you plan on buying?

Just the bare necessities for me-I'll be grabbing the one-disc edition!...14.4%

It's all about the extras, baby-has to be the two-disc edition!...57.4%

Blu-ray all the way!...7.5%

I'll definitely be renting it!...19.5%

has anyone watched the outtakes? i noticed that they kept switching from a full screen 16x9 to the widescreen even on some of the same scenes. What gives should the film especially the same scenes be shot in the same aspect ratio? and when they were showing the widescreen it would have a frame going around so you could see what was missing on the top and bottom of the screen.

has anyone watched the outtakes? i noticed that they kept switching from a full screen 16x9 to the widescreen even on some of the same scenes. What gives should the film especially the same scenes be shot in the same aspect ratio? and when they were showing the widescreen it would have a frame going around so you could see what was missing on the top and bottom of the screen.
Many movies are shot on a wider frame and then masked down later to the actual aspect planned for the movie. Gives the director and his editor a chance to adjust the shots. Since they didn't finalize the scene you can see all sorts of aspects color filtering etc. And with scenes with special effects this becomes compounded by what scenes were genereated fully or partly by computer.

It was kinda neat to see the longer drawn out ending to the Monger vs Man sequence, but instead of it being some deleted scene, it was unfinished, and hacked together... timecode and all. You could tell was were pickup shots and stuff late in production too by the dates, looks like they tried to salvage it and then went another direction.

Howard was merely OK in the role. It sounds like he overestimated his contribution to teh success of the film and demanded too much....

Cheadle will probably chew up the scenery even better...

Meanwhile Downey Jr. and Paltrow were the main reasons it was so successful, Bridges as well. I hope they do as good a job casting the villain in the next one....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts