Is 278 HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

slangalang

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
I just checked my HR20 listings, and I have Mythbusters HD from channel 278 (regular Discovery). It has the little HD logo, and says "Hi-Def" but the show is clearly not HD when I watch it. Is this just a typ-o, or is 278 going HD?

The original show may be filmed in HD but 278 is an SD Channel.
Understood, but the show never said HD before now. Besides, my shows only say HD when they are recorded from an HD channel.

I noticed that too, as I was deleting it, so I didn't have a chance to investigate. But yes, it was in SD on 278. I am very much looking forward to the day that Discovery is in HD :D (flagship, Science...not too concerned with Animal Planet).

Also really looking forward to History Channel in HD. I think that was one that was going to go live near the beginning of the big roll-out.

But back on point: I think the clear understanding is that the channel you get now as SD will be visible to your box as HD on that same channel. So Discovery (HD) will be the same mapped channel as Discovery (SD). I don't think they are remapping the channels to have all the HD in one range - like they do now with the 72-99 range. So sometime soon, when you come home from work on a Wednesday night, and turn on Mythbusters, it will be a pleasant surprise!! :)

But wouldn't HIST be almost all up-converted stuff? Except for newly filmed sequences. I am all for everything in HD, but this is one channel that just SEEMS like it would be so low on the list because of their content. At least Animal Planet, Weather Channel, etc is new content.

History Channel has been letterboxed for a year or more if IIRC. There will be upconverts, but they do have some quality new programming that is of interest to me as well as the old stuff. If it is upconverted, it can't look any worse than TNTHD. :p

I noticed that too, as I was deleting it, so I didn't have a chance to investigate. But yes, it was in SD on 278. I am very much looking forward to the day that Discovery is in HD :D (flagship, Science...not too concerned with Animal Planet).

Also really looking forward to History Channel in HD. I think that was one that was going to go live near the beginning of the big roll-out.

But back on point: I think the clear understanding is that the channel you get now as SD will be visible to your box as HD on that same channel. So Discovery (HD) will be the same mapped channel as Discovery (SD). I don't think they are remapping the channels to have all the HD in one range - like they do now with the 72-99 range. So sometime soon, when you come home from work on a Wednesday night, and turn on Mythbusters, it will be a pleasant surprise!! :)

So your thinking that D* will place the HD channel in place of the SD channel and NOT have a block of HD channels ?
It's a possibility I suppose. maybe making the HD a 278.1 type of thing ?
I think they will keep all the HD together, but thats just my opinion, possibly throwing them up in another channel block, like maybe 1101-1250 something thats not currently being used, maybe the 800-999 range.

jmo,
Jimbo

I think Directv may do like RSN's where there are 2 versions of a channel, HD and SD. It detects if your receiver is HD to show the HD version and it gets top priority over the SD one. Same channel number. NESN is like this. Its 623 NESNH and 623 NESN.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)