Is 3G from Verizon or Sprint worth it?

tonyp56

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 13, 2004
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
OK, I live less than a mile away from AT&T's DSL coverage area, and have been on Hughesnet for the past three or four years and started noticing Verizon's commericals about 3G coverage. So I went and started doing some research. Verizon and Sprint both have my area within their coverage maps (AT&T does not have hardly any 3G in OKlahoma or nation for that matter) and they both offer similar broadband packages. However, with this, there is no guarentee that the speeds they advertise I would get. (between 700Kbps - 1.4Mbps, or less if I'm not in the right area etc...)

For different reasons, I am wanting to find a better connection than satellite, Xbox Live, no FAP, etc... I do know that from both Sprint and Verizon, it comes with a 5GB cap for $59.99 a month and they both charge $.05 for every MB over that 5GB's. That comes out to 170 MB's per day, less than Hughenets 200MB per day cap, however with 3G there is no FAP.

The deal is, either I put out hundreds of dollars for modem or sign up for two year contract, in either case, if 3G doesn't work fast enough here, it is a waste.

What has others experience been like with 3G internet and what would everyone suggest?

Thanks

Well cellular 3G is much better than any satellite connection. Plus with cell carriers you usually get a 1-2 week trial to return and pay for the days you used it.

I know there is a reseller for Sprint that does not have the 5GB cap. Dig around EVDOForums.com and you'll find them.

Well cellular 3G is much better than any satellite connection. Plus with cell carriers you usually get a 1-2 week trial to return and pay for the days you used it.

I don't really understand how it is much better when 3G runs from 600k to 1.4M and its 59.99 per month with a 5,120 MB per month download limit before you have to pay additional. The ping times may be just a little better but the speeds compared to Hughes or Wildblue are comparable. Also with the download limits if you break it down into days 5120/30=170MB per day while Hughes has 200MB per day on the lowest package which is also 59.99 and is 1MB down. Wildblues 69.99 package which is $10 More but you get 12,000MB down in a months time. Thats almost 2.5 times more. If you went to 12,000MB in a months time with 3G it is an additional $344 :eek:.

The equipment cost for satellite yes is a bit more, but satellite internet reaches more locations than 3G in America.

Thanks Digiblur, i will take a look at EVDOForums.com and see if I can't dig up anything. Gotta remember, I'm in Okie land, LOL doubt there is much out there, but will look, thanks for the info.

Tate I know what you are saying, I'm just hoping to find a alternative. When you've got the choice between satellite or dial-up for as many years as I have, when you find out there is something new, you've got to check it out. Yeah, for 1 GB over the 5GB's, is $52.20 by my calculations, LOL. Almost the same amount for 1 GB as it is for 5. Too bad Sprint doesn't have 4G in my area, because they have a unlimitted plan for 4G, but reverts to normal 3G if 4G is not available (4G isn't even in my state).

On the ping times, I've read it can range from anywhere from 50ms-600ms, but average is around 100ms. On my satellite connection, I am getting anywhere from 600-800ms consistantly.

On 1MB down, do I have to call to get that? It never changed for me, I am still at the old 700Kbps down and 128Kbps up package (during off-peak hours I get about 800Kbps give or take 50Kbps or so). I've got the original dish, but I upgraded to the HN7000s about a year ago. Know they offer it on their website but never changed here.

And finally, upload speed of 3G is much, much faster (granted that is the "advertised" but you might get less) than that of my satellite connection. 128Kbps max compared to 300Kbps+.

On 1MB down, do I have to call to get that?
You've got to change rate plans. Sounds like you're on the Home plan; 700 down/128 up ($59.99/month). It should only take a phonecall to upgrade to the Pro plan: 1000 down/200 up ($69.99/month). Doing so will bring your send side more in line with 3G claims too.

//greg//

I don't really understand how it is much better when 3G runs from 600k to 1.4M and its 59.99 per month with a 5,120 MB per month download limit before you have to pay additional. The ping times may be just a little better but the speeds compared to Hughes or Wildblue are comparable. Also with the download limits if you break it down into days 5120/30=170MB per day while Hughes has 200MB per day on the lowest package which is also 59.99 and is 1MB down. Wildblues 69.99 package which is $10 More but you get 12,000MB down in a months time. Thats almost 2.5 times more. If you went to 12,000MB in a months time with 3G it is an additional $344 :eek:.

The equipment cost for satellite yes is a bit more, but satellite internet reaches more locations than 3G in America.

All about the latency... plus EVDO can connect up to 2.4 megabits or so. Granted 5 gig isn't much, that's why I suggested the reseller with no cap.

Too bad Clear (/ Sprint 4G) is not available in OK. Probably a year or two, not a solution for today.

Maybe something is available through your employers wireless or cell provider?

Same situation for me, I can see buildings that have the $10/mo AT&T DSL from my house. I can get some sort of discount from Sprint through my employer but it is only 3G. Need to borrow some equipment and take it home for a few days for trial. Wish Clear was in the Birmingham area, Sprint owns 51% of Clear.

I can only speak from my experience - I've found Verizon's 3G mobile broadband (non-mobile - at home!) is much faster than Hughesnet.

Had hughesnet for 2 years, never more than 1.0Mbps download; occasional outages with weather. Moved to Verizon 3G using a Novatel MiFi 2200 modem connection. Usually 1.5-2.0 Mbps download; but more importantly, using it, it is noticably more responsive & faster page loads. Also have been thru a couple of storms that would've dropped the Satellite. I would NEVER go back to satellite.

The 5Gb download limit is a concern. However, my Hughesnet was 300Mb per day FAP, and we triggered it a few times over the 2 years; however, when I examined my monthly usage, it seldom went over 3Gb - the big download days were balanced by weekends away from home, days of little use, etc. I find the same now - I'm running usual months around 2-3Gb per month, although I have days where I'm over 250Mb - the average over the month is a big help.

Thanks everyone, will certainly try 3G out the first chance I get. (money etc.) and since I've read you have a few days (will ask before signing up) I will certainly give it a shot and if it don't work, then return.

It is funny to me, AT&T is supposed to be big in my area, after all I am in their "territory" but yet Sprint and Verizon at least state they have 3G here. That is pretty crappy, even if it isn't 100% still better than what AT&T has around, heck, at least they include this area in their coverage maps, LOL.

Consider yourself lucky that you can't get ATT there.While their DSL works well their billing department has many issues.I fired them back in June of 2009 in Florida due to constant billing problems.They sent me a refund check for 87.00 dollars and I went with Comcast until my house sold in September.When I moved to S.C. i was limited on choices so I gave ATT another chance.Two weeks of phone calls after my service was supposed to be working and them insisting someone was at my house for every service call a tech finally showed up and hooked up the wires at my house.Finally I had DSL and phone and all was well for two months.Then the letter came from a collection agency saying I owed ATT 87 dollars. Many of phone calls to India I finally got a English speaking person who told me they sent the refund by mistake and I needed to pay them back. Needless to say I came home today and am now using my Sprint broadband to send this message as my phone and DSL are turned off.There was a reason they were broken up years ago, and it will happen again.In the meantime Sprint has served me well and billing has always beeen correct. Speed is pretty good and works everywere I go.

Yeah, I understand how that would not be good. Though I have to say, I have never had any billing problems from AT&T and I've had home phone through SBC/AT&T for years along with my cell phone being from SBC/Cingular/AT&T since 2001. I'm no fan of AT&T and do think they are using an excuse of too expensive to refuse to expand their products and offerings to their own territory. I mean, no DSL, no 3G, no wireless hot-spots, Nada, except dial up (no local access numbers!!!) and re-branded Wild Blue Internet from AT&T for me. And their commercials taught "AT&T has the fastest/best/etc. 3G/DSL" yeah perhaps, but not for me and therefore not really.

For me, my options are one company offering dial-up ($16) with a local access number and crappy wifi (256K up and down) service for $39.99 (no other local access numbers for dial-up service, so my only option is one company) Hughes Net, which honestly, has not been bad except for FAP, I mean if they gave 400 MB in 24 hour period, the same as dial-up (you can download more in a 24 hour period with dial up than you can with satellite, that is just stupid IMHO.) then they would be B+ instead of current C-. Now it is a plus that you kind of have unlimited downloads between 1-5AM (for me anyways), but really I'm in bed usually and never get to experience that (I'm awake now because it is my weekend). Or other option is Wild Blue directly or via AT&T or Dish Network. It does sound like a better deal as far as FAP goes, but really, I would not gain anything by switching IMO.

With supposed coverage from Verizon and Sprint in my area with 3G, it gives me another option, but sadly, I can not see my self switching at this moment because of the CAP. They would have to allow the same amount as Hughes Net before I would consider it any more, but honestly, wouldn't switch unless they allowed at least the same amount one could download with dial-up in a 24 hour period without charging extra. 400MB or so or about 12GB per month instead of 5GB's.

The Wildblue FAP is horrible. You'll be throttled back to basically nothing until your 30 day rolling usage is below 70 of your tier. On the 512 tier, it's only 7.5 gig.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)