Is 9317 new--EDUC channel plays Bonanza, Lucy Show?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bookwalk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
Is this a channel I have only just recently discovered that was always there? Was it under another name? I guess I never noticed it--or did not check this forum for a thread on it?

So, is it new, just name changed? Why is it Educ when it plays Bonanza, Lucy Show, and reaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllly old movies?

9317 is a local channel not available to subscribers. You must be referring to 9417.

And if the rest of us aren't allowed to advertise in our signature lines, why is this guy allowed to? A mod needs to remove that.

Congrats, Iceberg.

BOT, I see 9417, EDUCA, in my guide. The channel bug identifies it as "Educator TV". Right now, it is supposed to be "Heidi" with Shirley Temple, but the movie that is on is in color and looks to be something completely different. The video quality is on par with YouTube. The Point Dish screen identifies it as being on xponder 10 at 61.5?W.

"9417 - EDUCA [MPEG2 SD] - EchoStar5 129W TP 17 ConUS beam changed to Available
9417 - EDUCA [MPEG2 SD] - EchoStar3 61.5W TP 10 ConUS beam changed to Available"

It was turned on Wednesday but I have no idea what type of programming they have.

I noticed this channel yesterday as well. They were showing an old Tarzan movie with Buster Crabbe as Tarzan. I kinda like seeing this old stuff occasionally. I'll keep scanning their programming schedule for interesting stuff. I would really like to be able to see the old 1/2 hour Gunsmoke episodes. Nobody seems to air those.

And it's still considered an FCC Mandated Public Interest Channel.

Is this the start of some kind of change in format?

Maybe TV Land will move to that channel range and long as they carry a few educational shows.. :D

According to our friend Dish Network Channel Chart (Unofficial) - EDUC - 9417 is supposed to be a service for those learning English as a Second Language.

The channel will feature entertainment programming captioned in English and in Spanish, with the English words highlighted as they are spoken. This is apparently a relatively proven technique for increasing literacy - I have read about this being done in foreign countries. I figure if it gets E* subs (or Free PI pack subs, LOL) another channel of "classic TV" - why not? Seems like people are always asking for Classic TV shows, and furthermore, this does seem to fit the public interest, as long as they do in fact get those captions up and running soon.

Plus, since most of the programming is public domain (or so it would seem) then teachers could even tape short segments and use them in ESL classes. Perhaps they could work with Universityhouse - 9411 on setting up some classes to go along with this.

According to our friend Dish Network Channel Chart (Unofficial) - EDUC - 9417 is supposed to be a service for those learning English as a Second Language.

The channel will feature entertainment programming captioned in English and in Spanish, with the English words highlighted as they are spoken. This is apparently a relatively proven technique for increasing literacy - I have read about this being done in foreign countries. I figure if it gets E* subs (or Free PI pack subs, LOL) another channel of "classic TV" - why not? Seems like people are always asking for Classic TV shows, and furthermore, this does seem to fit the public interest, as long as they do in fact get those captions up and running soon.

Plus, since most of the programming is public domain (or so it would seem) then teachers could even tape short segments and use them in ESL classes. Perhaps they could work with Universityhouse - 9411 on setting up some classes to go along with this.
Hopefully this really works for those learning english. The picture quality is awful.

Hopefully this really works for those learning english. The picture quality is awful.

The picture quality is especially awful on the old movies.

Bonanza has the proper episode descriptions but The Lucy Show only keeps saying "Widow Lucy Charmichael raises her kids on the West Coast".

If people want to have fun learning english, they should put on Get Smart.. lol

YEs it looks like very bad vcr quality on the Lucy show. And that is even if I put my hd receiver on 480p instead of 1080i. I haven't seen some of these shows since the 80s when they played them on Nick and Nite and Tv land. I remember they looked a lot better back then. OF course I watched them in reruns the first time in the 70s.

I would guess they may have bad source material on some of these public domain shows. I have heard that there are various sources to buy them from, and some have better quality copies than others.

FWIW, I have not seen subtitles on any Classic TV yet, but I did see an ESL teaching program from Taiwan which was apparently targeted at teaching Chinese speakers to use English. It wasn't bad, but seemed to feature a lot of Disney product placement, which seemed over the top. The presenters wore Disney t-shirts, and the plot of the story revolved around a visit to Hong Kong Disneyland.

The show is called "Let's Talk in English" and the website is here: StudioClassroom.com > Let's Talk in English > Contents - with a schedule page mentioning Dish Network here: StudioClassroom.com > Let's Talk in English > Schedule

It seems to be on EDUCA in between movies. I noticed they are also showing some sort of instructional martial arts series.

Just watched "RocketShip X-M" from 1950 with Lloyd Bridges and Hugh O'Brien on this channel. That was followed by an episode of the "The Lucy Show" with John Wayne.:cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts