VIP 622 Replacement - Shipped to SERVICE address (FYI)

SickPup404

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 15, 2006
Just an FYI (sorry mods if this needs to be moved).

Just got a call from UPS. I arranged to have a replacement 622 after my original started having pixelation issues and the HDMI port failed.

I made it abundantly clear to Tech Support that we receive all of our mail and packages at the Billing Address, and to be sure that it gets sent there, not the Service Address. She said "The request won't go through. Let me try another computer." and when she came back, everything appeared cool.

So, if you have a separate "Service Address", and need to get a replacement shipped to the "Billing Address", not sure what you need to do with Dish to get it to happen. Luckily for me, UPS noticed the name and address and called when they couldn't deliver it.

FYI...

In the past, I have not had problems with Dish shipping to an alternate address, such as the "service address" on a second account. However, since Dish does its shipping via UPS and not USPS, it can not ship to a USPS Post Office Box since no postage is being paid to Uncle Sam.

Dish isn't the only one with such problems, all of the TELCOM providers seem to have a problem understanding the difference between UPS and USPS/USPO/PO BOX. HSN is really bad!

We are full-timers, we live in our RV. We have had the oppurtunity for Dish to ship replacements a couple of times and they always came to where we were.

And heaven forbid you should try to make things easy and change the physical address on the account as the billing address.

Thats what I did, and this was another reason why the audit natzies kept on harrassing me a few weeks ago because they thought my account was at a commercial location (The UPS Store)

What a CSR types in and where a receiver ships actually have very little to do with each other nowadays, but anyways. The reasoning for USPS not being a viable option for PO Box addresses is the postal service does not allow any parcel (packages pretty much larger than a box of checks) to be delivered to PO boxes. Not that that rule hasn't been bent from time to time, but the post office generally doesn't allow parcels to POs.

For customers, the CSRs ship to whatever address happens to be, have been (or ever will be in some cases) on the account. Service, billing, doesn't really enter into their thoughts at the time. A good CSR (like a parrot) will repeat the address they attempt to ship the package using to you when they ask the computer to create a request. ...Um...yeah....good luck!

Claude had the right idea in this case. He also must have broken some poor audit person's heart back in high school and they've had an axe to grind since.

In the past, I have not had problems with Dish shipping to an alternate address, such as the "service address" on a second account. However, since Dish does its shipping via UPS and not USPS, it can not ship to a USPS Post Office Box since no postage is being paid to Uncle Sam.

Dish isn't the only one with such problems, all of the TELCOM providers seem to have a problem understanding the difference between UPS and USPS/USPO/PO BOX. HSN is really bad!

about a month ago I had to replace a 411 (no HDMI output). I talked to tech support. He said he would ship a replacement. He read me my service address. I said can you send it to my billing address. He said no problem and a couple of days later received the new 411 at my biling address.

The reasoning for USPS not being a viable option for PO Box addresses is the postal service does not allow any parcel (packages pretty much larger than a box of checks) to be delivered to PO boxes.
Shipping receivers, switches, remotes, and larger packages to Post Office Boxes is no more difficult than than shipping to a regular street address, such as your home's mailing address, which is also created by the Post-Office. My small PO Box will hold about 2 boxes of checks, but I routinely get boxes larger than a Xerox box of copier paper.

The problem is, UPS is often cheaper than sending via USPS, especially with the corporate discounts. I'm sure the Post-Office would take a UPS package and place it in your PO Box, or put a note in it for you to get the package at the counter - but not without the UPS person standing in line and paying postage to do it. :D

He said no problem and a couple of days later received the new 411 at my biling address.
I really don't see an issue with the billing address. However, was your billing adress a "street address" or a "U.S.P.S. PO Box?"

Shipping receivers, switches, remotes, and larger packages to Post Office Boxes is no more difficult than than shipping to a regular street address, such as your home's mailing address, which is also created by the Post-Office. My small PO Box will hold about 2 boxes of checks, but I routinely get boxes larger than a Xerox box of copier paper.

I never said it was more difficult. I said USPS won't do it for E* equipment...

The problem is, UPS is often cheaper than sending via USPS, especially with the corporate discounts. I'm sure the Post-Office would take a UPS package and place it in your PO Box, or put a note in it for you to get the package at the counter - but not without the UPS person standing in line and paying postage to do it. :D

Actually, snailmail is cheapest for minor deliveries but that's irrelevant since all equipment shipped by E* uses UPS by default, or FedEx when necessary. I'm sure the post office WOULD take a note to hold your package. Now try to get someone at E* to write the note to release the package to you at the counter. Which opens up a whole different issue of liability while shipping.

I really don't see an issue with the billing address. However, was your billing adress a "street address" or a "U.S.P.S. PO Box?"

I know you don't see it, but there's a difference. One a computer system automatically enters, the other is not.

FYI - Got the replacement installed today and activation was a breeze. Back with HDMI baby!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)