is a Dream Box DM500-S any good?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Only 4:2:0 mpeg2 sd decoder and only dvb-s tuner

It can stream hd and h.264 and 4:2:2 to the pc via Ethernet. Still only dvb-s obv

Be aware the 500 hasn't been produced by dream multimedia in years, everything sold new now days are clones. Some bad some good. Clones should never be used with Gemini images (firmware)

Only 4:2:0 mpeg2 sd decoder and only dvb-s tuner

It can stream hd and h.264 and 4:2:2 to the pc via Ethernet. Still only dvb-s obv

Be aware the 500 hasn't been produced by dream multimedia in years, everything sold new now days are clones. Some bad some good. Clones should never be used with Gemini images (firmware)
Short of opening the case & dissecting the stb to determine if it's genuine, are there any markings that distinguish a German DM-500S from the Chinese clones?
I've had this one on a shelf for quite awhile. Put it aside when I got a Coolsat 5000.

Attachments

• IMG_1355.JPG
    IMG_1355.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1352.JPG
    IMG_1352.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_1353.JPG
    IMG_1353.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 213
DREAMBOX are horrible when it comes to CBAND, not recommended.

What's wrong with them and cband? An ird doesn't tune cband or kuband, only lband. So there really isn't any difference.

umm

Umm, I am not sure why you would think they are not any good on C-band. I would disagree totally because mine work just fine on C-Band and Ku-Band. They are great FTA receivers when setup correctly...

To tell the differences in Clones and Real Dreamboxes just remove the cover and look at the pictures on Dreams website. They show the differences and it's really simple to see and not a lot of troubles.

I have one clone and it works fine but as mentioned you can't use just any image on them. The safest is to use PLi other wise you can brick your receiver...

Also note, Dreamboxes are Linux based and you need to know something about Linux. They are not plug and play and if you don't know what you are doing they can be hard to work with. That said, they are wonderful to network with and offer so many options when working with them from your computer. You can stream and do many other things as well...

VLC works well with them and they are a blaste after you learn and get them setup!

Most people who have tried them and didn't like them expected them to be plug and play. They didn't take time to learn and read and experiment with them. They did not know Linux and that is why most people complain about them...

Just note that Dreamboxes are picky about LNB's and switches that are used with them...Remember they are designed to work in European Nations and they use some different equipment than we do...They work fine with the right stuff. I use mine with a Primestar and C-Band dish and have no issues with the Spawn Switches...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)