Is alacart even feasable?

There is nothing preventing the content owners from bundling via Internet. It makes them the most money, so they will do it to us all over again. The current a la carte Internet model only shows how immature the online market is.

Edited to add: I see no way out of this thievery short of laws forcing content owners to unbundle.

There is nothing preventing the content owners from bundling via Internet. It makes them the most money, so they will do it to us all over again. The current a la carte Internet model only shows how immature the online market is.

Edited to add: I see no way out of this thievery short of laws forcing content owners to unbundle.

I certainly agree this will be the case. Well, I wouldn't use the word thievery, ;), but the online programming may well become subscription and package based.

Very clear! Because you don't want to pay $10 for the next tier and want to cherry pick from those extra channels, you and the others who do this will simply drive the price of the upgrade package higher for everyone else. Figure it out. I'm not interested in a price increase to solve your problem.
That's pretty short-sighted. You are ignoring all the potential revenue that Dish would gain from the users currently in the lower tier who might purchase a channel or two who felt that the next tier price wasn't worth the upgrade. It wouldn't be as Chicken Little as you make it out to be. The added choice might actually increase the revenue stream, not lower it and drive up prices.

a la carte would be nice, but I think it can only work for the not-quite-premium channels. IE, Dish holds onto 120 and 200, but allows cherry picking (for a few bucks a piece) channels in 250. Of course, if they do that, some channels may shift from 120 and 200 up to 250.
$$$
The future is in internet delivery, and it looks like it will be alacarte. As a result, I believe we will witness the gradual demise of cable and satellite providers.
Who knows. It could go a la carte, ie by the show even, not even the network. As the system moves to the Internet, which will take a decade at least, packaging may very well develop.

Sat has an advantage over cable (and for now, the Internet), ie no cable. Sat can reach anyone with a clear view of a small portion of sky. It is also secure. The Internet isn't. Also, don't think some TV providers won't get involved with broadcasting over the Internet once the Internet goes completely wireless. Look at what Ergen has done. He seems to be preparing the company for the next wave of broadcasting, where his company has the rights to show the channels, and their own stream to broadcast online.

The Internet is the future, but we aren't there yet, by a long shot. I think some people mistake their ability with having a super fast connection with that of most America.

The Internet is the future, but we aren't there yet, by a long shot. I think some people mistake their ability with having a super fast connection with that of most America.
Yes, it is hard to drag the fiber cable behind the trailer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts