Is alacart even feasable?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

inazsully

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Sun City West, AZ
I normally would not post a question in two different forums but I am this time. Sorry. Alacart programming is constantly being asked for here because who wouldn't want to pay for only what they want to watch. Some have even asked for congress to mandate it. So what if they did. What do you think you would have to pay for say a dozen of your favorite channels? In my case, USA, TNT, TBS, Scifi, Discovery, Animal Planet, A&E, FOXSN, ESPN, ESPN2, Golf Network, Lifetime. (All local national channels are free). What do you think my particular cost would be in an alacart world?

I normally would not post a question in two different forums but I am this time. Sorry. Alacart programming is constantly being asked for here because who wouldn't want to pay for only what they want to watch. Some have even asked for congress to mandate it. So what if they did. What do you think you would have to pay for say a dozen of your favorite channels? In my case, USA, TNT, TBS, Scifi, Discovery, Animal Planet, A&E, FOXSN, ESPN, ESPN2, Golf Network, Lifetime. (All local national channels are free). What do you think my particular cost would be in an alacart world?
Seeing it dosen't exist and programmers will never allow it without Federal intervention I'd guess about a $1000/mo.

Other than that, Alacarte would be a pain in the ass to sell to some people since it would requiring naming off all the channels.

Certain programmers of less poplular channels loose out, and the providers loose out becuase people would get smaller packages.

It would be nice, but I do not see how, in the present climate, any programmer would agree to this method of allowing a provider to sell their product.

I think they should use theme packs like the Canadian satellite services do. Sports packs ,News packs, Movie packs, Family packs etc. You add the packs you want and drop the ones you don't.

The other problem I see is that knowing the nature of people, a la cart wouldn't be enough, people would want to be able to drop a channel and pick up another channel at their own discretion without any time limits applied. I don't see how providers or networks could make any money that way. I like what MikeD-C05 posted about Canada.
Ghpr13:)

I once was on the Ginsu Knife site with the typical package of a bunch of knives for $29.99. They also had where you could but each knife separately at $10 or so. Three knives and the whole package was cheaper.

Too many believe that ala-carte would save money. Each transaction has a cost to it data processing wise. I used to work with a marine parts company and to them, it cost the same to track and sell a $0.45 O-ring as it does to track and sell a $12,000 engine. That is why the O-Ring cost $2.50. It actually cost more to track the O=ring but the costs of data processing get distributed among all the products. A package billing is one transaction, three individual channels is three transactions. That is just business reality.

So if enough people blindly push Congress into mandating ala-carte subscriptions, we will all see our bills go up and everyone will blame Charlie.

Not gonna happen. If they changed you would no longer get the less popular channels. So many channels would lose money because they wouldn't have enough people paying to watch it. They would have to increase the cost for it and no one would want to pay for it. I don't understand why everyone has a problem with the way thins are now.

If you want themed packages switch to a commercial account and pick whatever you want and pay for it.

it's called capitalism. weaker products should die. if you want a station to live you should be willing to pay for it.
Unfortunately, in the TV broadcasting business, weaker generally appeals to more of the masses, so the good stuff usually ends up dying instead. :)

Since this was posted in 2 forums, I'll copy what I wrote in the other one for feedback:

Not to beat a dead horse (a la carte does not work), I believe he is saying to keep the existing packages and price points, require a package purchase to get to a certain level of a la carte choices (individual channels in the next tier package) but allow a la carte selection of channels in the next tier until the total price is higher than the next tier's package price, which would then be more cost effective to just upgrade to the next higher tier.

Here's my real life example: Based on the channels our family watches, the AT200 package best fits our needs, but because 1 or 2 channels (Boomerang, Bio) are in the AT250 package, and my wife and daughter both don't want to go without, we are paying the extra $10 for AT250, in effect for 2 channels. If we could just get AT200 and buy BOOM and BIO for $1-2 each, we would save $6-8 a month.

Now the consumer wins because they can pay less when their viewing needs fall between 2 packages, and Dish wins in the cases where someone decides that they can't afford or don't want to upgrade to the next higher package, but can spend a few extra dollars to get some a la carte channels from that package.

I hope this is explained clearly enough.

I think all of the channels you listed are in Dish America Silver with possibly the exception of FOXSN since I do not see it clearly listed. It may or may not be included, and it may be possible to add it with the MultiSport pack as Sports Channels are on the Dish America lineup card. It does appear that Regional Sports Networks (RSNs) are included according to this site after entering a zip code: http://www.dishnetwork.com/packages/detail.aspx?pack=DAS

Here is a channel lineup card for Dish America
http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/Channel-Lineup/DISHamericaChannelGuide.pdf
However, Dish America Silver would not be an HD for Life package, and it is $10 cheaper than America's Top 200.

To your question on a la carte, I think it depends on what the customer wants. One may be able to pay cheaper if he or she selects a few a la carte offerings. However, if someone wants everything available a la carte, I am sure that the price would be expensive. Check out these prices on Dish's a la carte page: BabyTV, Outdoor Channel & A La Carte TV - DISH Network

How do you know BOOM and BIO would only cost $1-2 each. Chances are the channels are going to be closer to $5 because not as many poeple are are going to want them. There is no inexpensive way to get every channel you want, unless you onlywant 5 channels.

......... What do you think my particular cost would be in an alacart world?

More than you pay now. As pointed out, providers are NOT going to lose. They'll make sure they get as much or more money, even if they provide less. It's a great idea, but the reality is we'll pay more for less.

Haven't we discused thi enough in all the other threads?

:dead

I once was on the Ginsu Knife site with the typical package of a bunch of knives for $29.99. They also had where you could but each knife separately at $10 or so. Three knives and the whole package was cheaper.

Too many believe that ala-carte would save money. Each transaction has a cost to it data processing wise. I used to work with a marine parts company and to them, it cost the same to track and sell a $0.45 O-ring as it does to track and sell a $12,000 engine. That is why the O-Ring cost $2.50. It actually cost more to track the O=ring but the costs of data processing get distributed among all the products. A package billing is one transaction, three individual channels is three transactions. That is just business reality.

So if enough people blindly push Congress into mandating ala-carte subscriptions, we will all see our bills go up and everyone will blame Charlie.

Sounds like you were a Supply Officer or Warehouse Manager, too.

How did the Ginsu Knives work? Could you cut through a soda can and then still slice a tomato paper thin?
Ghpr13:)

Since this was posted in 2 forums, I'll copy what I wrote in the other one for feedback:

Not to beat a dead horse (a la carte does not work), I believe he is saying to keep the existing packages and price points, require a package purchase to get to a certain level of a la carte choices (individual channels in the next tier package) but allow a la carte selection of channels in the next tier until the total price is higher than the next tier's package price, which would then be more cost effective to just upgrade to the next higher tier.

Here's my real life example: Based on the channels our family watches, the AT200 package best fits our needs, but because 1 or 2 channels (Boomerang, Bio) are in the AT250 package, and my wife and daughter both don't want to go without, we are paying the extra $10 for AT250, in effect for 2 channels. If we could just get AT200 and buy BOOM and BIO for $1-2 each, we would save $6-8 a month.

Now the consumer wins because they can pay less when their viewing needs fall between 2 packages, and Dish wins in the cases where someone decides that they can't afford or don't want to upgrade to the next higher package, but can spend a few extra dollars to get some a la carte channels from that package.

I hope this is explained clearly enough.

It is also interesting that Bio (Biography Channel) and Boomerang are in the Dish Family package for $24.99/mo. I take it though that you want some other channels that will not be in that package, though. Boomerang is also in the Welcome Pack [not advertised].

http://www.dishnetwork.com/customerService/programmingGuides/default.aspx

" How did the Ginsu Knives work? Could you cut through a soda can and then still slice a tomato paper thin?
Ghpr13 "

I recently watched a demo where a guy did just that, with another brand of knife. Still.......

BTW, I copied and pasted because for some reason, hitting "Reply with Quote" on your post brings up the first post in the thread in the quote blocks. Did that several times to be sure. Maybe there's some site work going on.

it's called capitalism. weaker products should die. if you want a station to live you should be willing to pay for it.

The strong companies are using their market clout to package channels. That is part of how capitalism works too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts