Is AMC 4 still operational?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mateosat

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Caribbean
Since I am in the southern Caribbean I'm out of Ses1 footprint. Can anyone confirm that AMC 4 KU is still operational? Any info on when it's shutting down?

Thanks!

ParaclipseCKu said:
Its all SES-1 now. AMC-2 is at 79W. Not sure where AMC-4 or if its still in service. I'm sure someone will chime in here.

AMC4 is now licensed at 67w for KU-band operation.

photoman76 said:
It's supposed to serve the Andean Community of Nations (Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru). I'm not sure what the footprint looks like. I haven't seen any signals yet.
SES To Develop Slot for Andean Nations | SpaceNews.com

The AMC4 KU-band North and South American beams are not steerable and should remain similar to the footprints provided when it was at the 101w position.

The AMC4 KU-band North and South American beams are not steerable and should remain similar to the footprints provided when it was at the 101w position.

yes, they are not steerable but they have tilted the satellite to get the coverage area needed. Footprints are quite a bit off from when it provided CONUS service from 101W.

Gotta love those U.S. CONUS outlined footprints that are way off from covering the actual CONUS part of the earth!

International Telecommunication Union (ITU) of Geneva, has been reserved for Ku-band frequencies and has a good angle of view on the Americas and the Caribbean. However, the Andean group’s rights to develop the slot expire in September unless a functioning satellite is placed at the slot before then. >>SES To Develop Slot for Andean Nations | SpaceNews.com
Doesn't mean it's got to be in use, just operational. I think they moved amc4 there so the SA countries retain control of the orbital position.
Also, it appears that I-3R has arrived at 81W, I've been looking for info but have come up blank.

AMC 4 is parked @ 67 W and they have tilted the bird a bit for more South American Coverage if you compared it against its old footprint map. I havent seen any signals but I am on the fringe of the footprint. According to documents filed by SES AMC4 was put at 67W to service some Caribbean customers. I-3R was moved to 81W for a customer in Argentina and only approved for C band usage at that location according to documents filed and approved by the FCC. The FCC only gave Intelsat a short term 6 months usage at 81W and the bird is in a inclined orbit. I expect Intelsat to de-orbit the I-3R after this mission, it is past its expected end of life and since they chose a inclined orbit Im guessing its getting low on station keeping fuel and they are trying to stretch on station time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)