Is Anyone Not Getting Espn-hd??

mattyro

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Had a box swap done today. The reason was I was not getting ESPNHD. Well, new box--same result. The installer blames the software. It is the only channel I dont receive. Actually I get it but it breaks up and is unwatchable. I get espn thru Comcast and Dish but thats no excuse for VOOM telling me I pretty much have to live with the problem.Anyone else have the same trouble?? Anyone got a work-around??

These problems with Starz-HD and ESPN-HD have popped up a few times before. Some people found that a bad LNB or a bad diplexer was at fault. Somewhere there is something wrong with your hardware. I do not believe that you have live with a problem like since they are lots of us who get ESPN-HD without a problem.

I agree.the installer told me to wait for the download tonite. But my previous box was totally up to date as far as software went, I dont have a lot of hope for this. I sure as hell am not looking 4ward to another week of missed committments and tech visits. My dish and Directv equipment never went bad--and I've had them for 5 years--Voom has been 5 months. I WILL SAY THAT THE TECH SAYS HBO AND ESPN COMMONLY FAIL. MAYBE IT WAS BS TO KEEP ME HAPPY.

mattyro said:
I WILL SAY THAT THE TECH SAYS HBO AND ESPN COMMONLY FAIL. MAYBE IT WAS BS TO KEEP ME HAPPY.

That's bull. You probably have a bad LNB or something of that sort. How is your setup? Do you have a multiswitch? Do you have a diplexor? Do you have more than one box?

Sean- I have the simplest set up possible--1 dish, 1 box that's that. If it is equipment, how can only one channel be affected?Only 1 channel and always the same channel. Is there something unique about ESPNHD??

Ilya,

just posted a thread that you should look at. Yes, a bad LNB can cause this. A bad diplexor can cause it as well. There's nothing wrong with the channel. It has to do more with losing power from the LNB to your receiver. Somewhere along the line there is a power loss. It could be the same LNB. Something is wrong. How long you had this problem?

mattyro said:
Is there something unique about ESPNHD??
Yes, this channel requires polarity switching within the LNB. How about 204, 206, 226, 229, 261, 262, and 305? Do you have problems getting those as well?

As Ilya said it's a voltage polarity issue... this can be trouble shooted by an installer. If you had Vavavoom, channel 262/261 would be messed up and you'd have TMC-HD instead of ESPNHD..heh.. I just got over that same issue, for me it was bad coax.

Ive had the problem about 2 weeks. I cant remember the las tevent I watched on espn but I know it started when we had some strong thunderstorms in CT. I didnt think of anything--I thought it wqs rain fade. I'm not home and cant confirm those channels but I dont recall not getting anything but ESPNHD. ESPN standard def is fine.

Basically what I'm hearing is I was lied to by the tech who told methere are "many people who have trbl with espnHD". I didnt believe cuz I read these forums and would be aware of the trbl if it existed.

I don't know if he lied or not, but as you can see from that thread I referred you to there are enough people in this forum who experienced similar issues. The main problem is that most installers don't realize that this is a polarity issue. They may not know that ESPN-HD and the other several channels mentioned above have "Left_Horiz" polarity. It is rather uncommon to have just several channels on a different polarity. If you tell them that, they will know what to do.

I didnt really mean "lied". I guess "taking a wild or uneducated guess" would have been a better way to phrase it. He seemed to think my problem began at the same time a new software download took place.

mattyro said:
Had a box swap done today. The reason was I was not getting ESPNHD. Well, new box--same result. The installer blames the software. It is the only channel I dont receive. Actually I get it but it breaks up and is unwatchable. I get espn thru Comcast and Dish but thats no excuse for VOOM telling me I pretty much have to live with the problem.Anyone else have the same trouble?? Anyone got a work-around??
So, when you tune to the ESPNHD channel, do you get "call 1-800-.... Voom" or do you get "no signal on channel... " ?

I have 2 receivers, and on one of them, I don't get ESPN HD. Thankfully it's not on my HD set, so i don't care. I just had an install guy out to change out my diplexor that failed. When i asked him about the ESPN issue, he said just to call Voom and that something is wrong on their end. He wouldn't give me a new box. I also requested a new box for my HD set because it reboots everynight when i come home. As soon as i type in channel numbers...it starts to reboot. The installer even witnessed it happening and still wouldn't give me a new receiver. said that's how it's suppose to work. ugh!

I wasn't getting ESPN HD and some of the channels were messed up -- got MSNBC on an HBO channel, etc. They swapped out my receiver yesterday and I now get ESPN HD and channels seem to be correct. Request a new receiver.

raptorctr,

in his mind his working on a work order. The work order did not mention swapping receivers and this is why he was not willing to do it. I know it is inconvenient but when you put a service call try to tell them everything that is wrong so that they can authorize it. It works the same way with E*.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)