Is AT&T gutting DIRECTV?

as traditional pay tv loses subs, and vod gains the. vod prices will go up
you will also see unskipable commercials on vod (hulu is doing this iirc)

yep things are changing, and will continue to change, until it all evens out

It is interesting to note, according to some recent articles, that free ad-supported streaming services are gaining quite a few subscribers and that the financials are pretty good in some ways.
Seems people are willing to have ads inserted more than some thought in order to watch TV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

If they are the last, what difference does it make? What improvements could they make to that hardware? I still expect a newer 4K box since they'll need to support 4Kp120 eventually, but there's no point in doing newer HD clients. There also really isn't anything they can do to make the HS17 better (no, they will not add more tuners, it already has 16 hardware tuners, your complaint is how they are choosing to allocate them for transponder bonding)

DirecTV's current crop of receivers are woefully behind the times when compared to DISH Hopper, Comcast X1 or TiVo. They have virtually zero apps at a time when a large and growing percentage of Americans' viewing hours are now on-demand streaming. And the Genie UI just looks tired and outdated now, IMO.

Reactions: edisonprime
DirecTV's current crop of receivers are woefully behind the times when compared to DISH Hopper, Comcast X1 or TiVo. They have virtually zero apps at a time when a large and growing percentage of Americans' viewing hours are now on-demand streaming. And the Genie UI just looks tired and outdated now, IMO.
I wonder if they could run the AT&T TV UI?

I wonder if they could run the AT&T TV UI?

Well, a year or more ago, AT&T's CEO said that eventually their new UI (which was first deployed on DirecTV Now) would spread through all their different TV services, eventually even satellite.

I've speculated at length over the past year+ that the AT&T TV set-top box -- the C71 -- could also be deployed as the next-gen Genie Mini. That's obviously what the model number suggests, given that the current Genie Mini is the C61, and DirecTV tends to simply add 10 to each successive generation's model numbers.

So perhaps come 2020, we'll see the HS17 + C61 set-up for DTV get replaced with an HS17 (or HS27) + C71 configuration. If AT&T's plan is to hold onto DTV for at least a couple more years, then my hunch is that they'll deploy the C71 on it. But if they're gravitating toward spinning or selling it off sooner than that, then they may not even want to bother with it.

Wouldn’t that be a pain after awhile signing up and then cancelling if you only like one show on their service?

Not at all. Just do it like I do with HBO, sub when a series is complete for the season and binge watch. Dead simple and saves money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: dare2be and Ziptied
Reactions: ncted
Wouldn’t that be a pain after awhile signing up and then cancelling if you only like one show on their service?
It's a click of a button on a web site or app.

It's not like the days of being forced to call up DTV and barter with the CSR to let you cancel HBO, and having to listen to 3 or 4 other offers before they'd finally process your cancellation. (and being hit with downgrade fees in some cases)

Just a rumor at this point, but a mutual friend of mine and Scott told me that AT&T is gutting DIRECTV and getting ready to sell the company.

There have been some major changes in Commercial, and they are desperately trying to gain more subscribers at the expense of the dealers.

Hope it’s not true, but things are not looking good.

Thank god I have an exit strategy with the cable providers to get out.

I have not heard anything about this.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts