IS Cablevison going to be sold to finance VOOM?

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
Folks, saw this this morning, what do you think?

Wednesday March 23, 05:38 PM
Cablevision Systems initiated with "hold"
NEW YORK, March 23 (newratings.com) - Analysts at Legg Mason (NYSE: LM - news) initiate coverage of Cablevision Systems Corporation (NYSE: CVC
- news) (ticker: CVC) with a "hold" rating.

In a research note published this morning, the analysts mention that the current valuation of Cablevision Systems' stock reflects robust cable operations and the possible sale of the company at a premium. According to Legg Mason, speculations of Cablevision Systems' sale has been driven by the recent restructuring of the company's programming holdings with NewsCorp, the likely discontinuation of the struggling Voom business and Time Warner (NYSE: TWX - news) 's interest in bidding for Adelphia.

© 2005 New Ratings

This indicates that the CVC stock rates a "hold" and says a Voom dump is part of the reason. There is other speculation that CVC will be sold in an effort to fund the continuation of Voom. There appear to be lots of guesses about what might happen, but very little concrete evidence of any kind.

As a Voom subscriber, this is pretty much what I'm doing too. My own brain indicates a "hold" on Voom service, and let's see what happens.

Fire Jim

If Cablevision is sold and Jim is on the Street it is ok by me. Voom wil continue, voom has more than 9 lives, more like 900, so it shall survive with the leadership of Charles dolan , and funds aquired from sale of Cablevision.

Cable is the past, voom and satellite HD is the future, and Charles Dolan knows it. He pioneered HBO, and was laying cable lines when we were all in diapers, this man knows what is coming around the corner.

The problem with the current agreement is that 4/1/2005 12:01am, VOOM could go DARK. No notice no nothing, if an agreement is not made.

I really hope that something is done and that it isn't all in vain.

I see big things for VOOM in the coming years....

calikarim said:
He pioneered HBO, and was laying cable lines when we were all in diapers, this man knows what is coming around the corner.
No way. It's been 51 years since I had a diaper. I'll drive off a cliff before I even think of wearing one again. :D

philhu said:
The problem with the current agreement is that 4/1/2005 12:01am, VOOM could go DARK. No notice no nothing, if an agreement is not made.

I really hope that something is done and that it isn't all in vain.

I see big things for VOOM in the coming years....

This possibility was discussed and we never decided what would happen if an agreement were not made. Another common opinion was that the 30 day shut-down process would start over again. I highly doubt that they would stop transmitting on April 1st.

"the likely discontinuation of the struggling Voom " only means that Cablevision will discontinue VOOM not that VOOM itself will not continue with new management.

All current advertising (still running) is promoting the VAVA VOOM extras free for another 60 days. You don't let a company go that far out in public unless you have a good idea that your going to be around. If you did shut down, the reputation of the company would be mud. All companies still need a solid reputation and image to stay in any business.

salsadancer7 said:
Folks, saw this this morning, what do you think?

Wednesday March 23, 05:38 PM
Cablevision Systems initiated with "hold"
NEW YORK, March 23 (newratings.com) - Analysts at Legg Mason (NYSE: LM - news) initiate coverage of Cablevision Systems Corporation (NYSE: CVC
- news) (ticker: CVC) with a "hold" rating.

In a research note published this morning, the analysts mention that the current valuation of Cablevision Systems' stock reflects robust cable operations and the possible sale of the company at a premium. According to Legg Mason, speculations of Cablevision Systems' sale has been driven by the recent restructuring of the company's programming holdings with NewsCorp, the likely discontinuation of the struggling Voom business and Time Warner (NYSE: TWX - news) 's interest in bidding for Adelphia.

© 2005 New Ratings
Well my in-laws in South Florida told me that the BrandsMart by them was still running the mail in rebate for VOOM but the receivers were on backorder, but other Brandsmart stores had them. The salperson said they had another large shipment of recivers coming in next week.

gutterAll current advertising (still running) is promoting the VAVA VOOM extras free for another 60 days. You don't let a company go that far out in public unless you have a good idea that your going to be around. If you did shut down said:
Why would anyone care about the reputation of a dead business?? lol

On the otherhand, how could they possibly run the promo? I can hear it now, "We'll give you VAVA VOOM extras for another 60 days if we're still around"

JimP said:
Why would anyone care about the reputation of a dead business?? lol

On the otherhand, how could they possibly run the promo? I can hear it now, "We'll give you VAVA VOOM extras for another 60 days if we're still around"

I think the point was that VOOM is running commercials and infomercials. If Dolan knew he was going out of business do you really think he would be wasting all that money for advertising spots? I think not.

What are all the bashers going to do WHEN it is announced that VOOM lives on?

The article confirms that CVC is ripe for a sale. I think it will be up to Charles Dolan. How about it? In another 3-5 years State of The Art HDTV will be like VOOM. Only question is who gets to do it? It cost DirecTV 5 years and 5 billion before it turned the corner but it only has 3 HD movie channels. With all the HDTV sets being sold I think VOOM could benefit but that may be another 3 years. Right now VOOM depends on Satellite service. But in another 5 years we might all be watching HDTV on Fiber Optics via a phone service. This will be an interesting 7 days. I may watch VOOM 24/7.

Voomin@720p said:
I think the point was that VOOM is running commercials and infomercials. If Dolan knew he was going out of business do you really think he would be wasting all that money for advertising spots? I think not.

He has to. He's trying to save a business, he has to keep running it business as usual. He can't pull advertising and stop signing up new customers or his effort wouldn't be taken seriously. Is it a good sign he's willing to put up his own money, sure. But it's not the happy ending everybody is looking for. Not yet.

Voomin@720p said:
What are all the bashers going to do WHEN it is announced that VOOM lives on?

D* HD Lite

VOOM's Promo's

VOOM is trying to stay alive right now and they are doing everything they can to do so. This includes the VA VA free for 60 days.

I had a customer tell me the other day that she would not sign up for VOOM if she got it for 6 months for free because of all of the problems she has heard about with the installation delays, and the imminent shut down.

All of this press and speculation is not doing anybody any good...especially VOOM.

The promo's they are running are trying to get them more customers so that it looks like they can make it on thier own, which is what Dolan is probably trying to do, but the news reports, articles and rumors aren't helping any. Retailers like us are still trying to sell VOOM, but it is kind of hard with the unknown.

The only thing anyone can do is wait until next Thursday/Friday to see what happens.

AxE said:
VOOM is trying to stay alive right now and they are doing everything they can to do so. This includes the VA VA free for 60 days.

I had a customer tell me the other day that she would not sign up for VOOM if she got it for 6 months for free because of all of the problems she has heard about with the installation delays, and the imminent shut down.

All of this press and speculation is not doing anybody any good...especially VOOM.

The promo's they are running are trying to get them more customers so that it looks like they can make it on thier own, which is what Dolan is probably trying to do, but the news reports, articles and rumors aren't helping any. Retailers like us are still trying to sell VOOM, but it is kind of hard with the unknown.

The only thing anyone can do is wait until next Thursday/Friday to see what happens.
Good Job but your logo say's it all:::::

AxE said:

AxE, your avatar is CLASSIC!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)