Is Carbon interface not just a reskinning of the same software

AlaJoe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
I am somewhat surprised at all the bugs reported in the new hopper. Is the H3 not the same hopper that we have had for years with a faster processor, more tuners and a new GUI (Graphical User Interface). How do you break software putting a new GUI on it. While I am not a programmer a new user interface just does not seem as if it should create the problem it apparently has.

It is my understanding that the Carbon user interface is actually a completely new software re-write. Also, keep in mind, the Hopper 3 has been out for 2 WEEKS, so don't expect perfection right out of the box, if you were expecting a 100% bug free experience, you should have waited a while. That being said, I have had hardly any problems since 01/30 when I installed and activated mine.

It is my understanding that the Carbon user interface is actually a completely new software re-write.

That's correct. It's pretty much all new tech from what I hear. One of the reasons why you can't have a prior type of Hopper on the same satellite connection as the new H3. The new baby brother just doesn't play friendly with his older siblings from another mother. ;)

Reactions: charlesrshell
It is my understanding that the Carbon user interface is actually a completely new software re-write. Also, keep in mind, the Hopper 3 has been out for 2 WEEKS, so don't expect perfection right out of the box, if you were expecting a 100% bug free experience, you should have waited a while. That being said, I have had hardly any problems since 01/30 when I installed and activated mine.

It seems like it, because many of the things I was used to require a completely different move now. Transferring to the EHD is just one.

One of the reasons why you can't have a prior type of Hopper on the same satellite connection as the new H3.
If the Carbon UI only existed on the Hopper 3, that might make more sense.

IMO, the new UI is just a skin or theme on top of the same software. Yes, they've fixed bugs, made changes, etc, but they would do that with or without the new interface (over time). There are some bugs that existed before the new UI that still exist....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)