Status
Please reply by conversation.

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
Watching a show at this minute on SMithsonian HD. Water/stream scenes are macroblocking just like they do on mpeg2 discoveryHD theater. Whenever you want to see the worst a channel can offer wait for a show with a close up of a bear catching a fish in a stream. Water is always a torture test for HD and this mpeg4 channel is failing.

Nah Just because D* is up to 5 channels per transponder is no reason to say its falling. Even if it was EIGHT channels per transponder nobody would notice on this forum

I've heard people complain about Smithsonian (saying the PQ is soft) almost since the day it came on the air. If a drop in quality is found on some of the channels like Starz! that has had tremendous PQ, then I'll be more worried.

I can only compare it to E* picture, just switched to D* a week ago and still got prepaid most E* HD channels (from 129, 110-119 is replaced with Slimline). D* HD PQ is mostly much better the same channels on E*. Starz is just so much better on D*.
I read a lot things about D* HD DVR. What I can tell is it si different from E*, it will take some time to adjust to it, but overal is close to 622. My only complaint is VERY SLOW CHANNEL CHANGE

I read a lot things about D* HD DVR. What I can tell is it si different from E*, it will take some time to adjust to it, but overal is close to 622. My only complaint is VERY SLOW CHANNEL CHANGE

They slow channel changes on the HR20 is my only complaint about it too. The H20 changes channels much faster.

Nah Just because D* is up to 5 channels per transponder is no reason to say its falling. Even if it was EIGHT channels per transponder nobody would notice on this forum

Let me guess, you are a Dish customer, yes? Another guess, you think only Dish customers have good eyesight, yes? I could go on, but only Dish customers don't get my point.

I can only compare it to E* picture, just switched to D* a week ago and still got prepaid most E* HD channels (from 129, 110-119 is replaced with Slimline). D* HD PQ is mostly much better the same channels on E*. Starz is just so much better on D*.

They slow channel changes on the HR20 is my only complaint about it too. The H20 changes channels much faster.
Are you guys set up for Native ON or OFF, that will make a difference in the channel changing speed,if you tell the D* rec. to do the processing it will change quicker, if you want your TV to do the processing (like I perfer, My TV is better than the box for this) it will take a slight bit longer, also if your using HDMI it needs to do the handshake before you'll see the picture, another thing to slow the channel change down.

Jimbo

Now, for the OP statement, MAYBE.....
When the channels are there, they are very good, but there are periodic times when for some reason , I will lose ALL my MPeg4 channels for a few minutes at a time. My signal strength would drop to 0 on the 103b, this could happen for a few minutes up to 15 minutes and then it would work for the rest of the day. When they are working my SS on the 103b is in the mid 90's.
I have checked the connections today and replaced the 2 cables on the older 5 LNB AT9.
I originally thought it might be my HR20-700, but this last time when they went out,I checked my H-20 and they were out as well.
SS's are usually in the mid 90's on all sats except the 103a which doesn't have anything on it in my area that I am aware of.

Any thoughts guys ?

Jimbo

Da Nile:
river 4160 miles (6693 kilometers) E Africa flowing from Lake Victoria in Uganda N into the Mediterranean in Egypt; in various sections called specifically: Vic·to·ria Nile \vik-?to?r-?-?\ or Som·er·set Nile \?s?-m?r-s?t, -?set\ between Lake Victoria & Lake Albert; Al·bert Nile \?al-b?rt\ between Lake Albert & Lake No; & White Nile from Lake No to Khartoum — see blue nile

Are you guys set up for Native ON or OFF, that will make a difference in the channel changing speed,if you tell the D* rec. to do the processing it will change quicker, if you want your TV to do the processing (like I perfer, My TV is better than the box for this) it will take a slight bit longer, also if your using HDMI it needs to do the handshake before you'll see the picture, another thing to slow the channel change down.

Jimbo
Both my HR20 and H20 are set to native off but the H20 changes channels much faster than the HR20, especially when changing among HD channels.

Watching a show at this minute on SMithsonian HD. Water/stream scenes are macroblocking just like they do on mpeg2 discoveryHD theater. Whenever you want to see the worst a channel can offer wait for a show with a close up of a bear catching a fish in a stream. Water is always a torture test for HD and this mpeg4 channel is failing.
I was thinking HD Theater doesn't look as good as it did.

Do you always ask questions that you don't want answered? A thumbs up for Juan, HA HA HA HA HA, guy bashes every chance he gets no matter what the statement is. A true E* fanboy. Geeez Vurbano, get a grip.

Both my HR20 and H20 are set to native off but the H20 changes channels much faster than the HR20, especially when changing among HD channels.

Could that have anything with the fact that the HR20 has to record the show before you see it, you always have the buffer running regardless.

Jimbo

I think it is because of the buffer. If I pause a channel then "catch up" sometimes I see the picture jump or freeze. If I press pause for even a second the jumping goes away. I think the DVR needs a second or two to buffer then displays the show.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)