Is D* Mpeg4 quality failing?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Mine are looking great.

HGTV and Food are much cleaner than what I had on Dish, FXHD movie PQ is great as well as Nip Tuck. The movies I record off MGM and HDNET look good.

My main requests now are that ESPN fix whatever issues it has along with D* getting all the mepg 2 channels over to the new setup.

Now, for the OP statement, MAYBE.....
When the channels are there, they are very good, but there are periodic times when for some reason , I will lose ALL my MPeg4 channels for a few minutes at a time. My signal strength would drop to 0 on the 103b, this could happen for a few minutes up to 15 minutes and then it would work for the rest of the day. When they are working my SS on the 103b is in the mid 90's.
I have checked the connections today and replaced the 2 cables on the older 5 LNB AT9.
I originally thought it might be my HR20-700, but this last time when they went out,I checked my H-20 and they were out as well.
SS's are usually in the mid 90's on all sats except the 103a which doesn't have anything on it in my area that I am aware of.

Any thoughts guys ?

Jimbo
I had a simlar problem but the channels were lost at different times of the day. DTV changed the dish then the Multi switch still NG. Finally checked the cables between the dish & switch and found a bad cable. Installed a new one and have not had a problem since then.

Again with the PQ. Maybe I'm blind, because I'm not seeing ANY problems. But then I'm too busy watching the show instead of my TV set. Maybe some of these people should be watching test signals, since they don't seem to have any interest in the shows. With the writer's strike I'm having more problems finding something worth watching, though. On the other hand, my kids have always been great amusement for me.

Im very happy with the fact 90% of my recordings are in HD, no complaints here.

Ive been very busy watching HD rentals and HD TV.

Again with the PQ. Maybe I'm blind, because I'm not seeing ANY problems. But then I'm too busy watching the show instead of my TV set. Maybe some of these people should be watching test signals, since they don't seem to have any interest in the shows. With the writer's strike I'm having more problems finding something worth watching, though. On the other hand, my kids have always been great amusement for me.

Reminds me of the hi fi snobs. They spend all of their time listening to their systems instead of the music!

I know what you mean. I only get stingy on PQ when its REALLY bad.
I don't like the PQ of NBC, ESPN, and TNT, but other ones I don't have many complaints about. I would like to see some of these stations (Spike, Cartoon Network, CNN) start showing a bit more HD content. I hate when they just launch a station and then decide to add content later.

I don't like the PQ of NBC, ESPN, and TNT, but other ones I don't have many complaints about. I would like to see some of these stations (Spike, Cartoon Network, CNN) start showing a bit more HD content. I hate when they just launch a station and then decide to add content later.

Better to have upconverted sd than regular sd! The hd content will come soon enough.

Paul,
You would definatly see it, while watching my shows if it decides to screw up, I will lose the HD channel all together.
I was going to call them today but with the weather I've been outside clearing peoples driveways every several hours.
(Only the MPEG4 channels)

Jimbo

ESPN (s) is still a MPEG2 channel, that could be part of the problem ...

Jimbo

ESPN (s) is still a MPEG2 channel, that could be part of the problem ...

Jimbo
The problem is it is over compressed. The reason it is overcompressed is bandwidth on the sat that it is on is at a premium. Mpeg4 would help lessen that, but it isnt bad JUST because its MPEG 2. Mpeg 2 can look GREAT if done right.

To vurb, I didnt see the program you were talking about, but the channels I watch look as good today as they did at launch.

The problem is it is over compressed. The reason it is overcompressed is bandwidth on the sat that it is on is at a premium. Mpeg4 would help lessen that, but it isnt bad JUST because its MPEG 2. Mpeg 2 can look GREAT if done right.

To vurb, I didnt see the program you were talking about, but the channels I watch look as good today as they did at launch.

I understand , but if the went to MPeg4 it would lessen the bandwidth demand for at least awhile anyways.

You would think that ESPN would have the best PQ, seeing it is the main SPORTS programming channel out there.
Yes, they need to do something with ESPN and D to work this out, unfortunatly, I am having MPEG4 issues

Jimbo

I understand , but if the went to MPeg4 it would lessen the bandwidth demand for at least awhile anyways.

You would think that ESPN would have the best PQ, seeing it is the main SPORTS programming channel out there.
Yes, they need to do something with ESPN and D to work this out, unfortunatly, I am having MPEG4 issues

Jimbo
I agree 100%, it just read wrong, wanted to clear up the misconception(although I knew that you knew what i posted)

I knew that you knew that I knew what you meant! :eek: :haha

I also knew that....oh, forget it. But I agree, watch the damn shows. Geeez.
Last week my Projector basically blew. Had blue all over the left side. Still watched my shows, they were great. Yep, now that i just installed my new Panny PT AX200U, things are looking freakin great, but, I still got enjoyment from seeing my showas on a projector at about 25% of what it should be. Enjoy the freaking programming, if you can find something to watch!

New to Directv...Nov. 24th,

just checked SMITHSONIANHD & HDTHEATER and the pics look great.

Only irritation I have experienced is a lip-sync issue that I've noticed on CNNHD, Weather Channel, and a couple of other channels.

Glad I made the move. DISH can't provide an HD signal here in the Seattle area and their promises over the last year-and-a-half to remedy the situation have yielded zip.

Again, Smithsonian never had great quality that I noticed. When StarzHD is suffering macroblocking, I will be worried.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)