Is Directv customer service this terrible or just us?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

lacubs

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
Erie, Pa
Is Directv customer service this terrible or just us? Tonight I my mom had my call for an upgrade to DVR/On-Demand and others questions, Mine mom own a local restaurant, so she is profession women but we both handicapped, they told us we can hook the DVR/On-Demand box by our self how is that possible without a tech? Then, I ask my mom to ask Directv if we were eligible for our locals for free. At first they said yes! Then they couldn’t figure how to turn them on they made do all type of stuff and they told us might need a dish then amazing 2 hr later they told us if we paid for them we can get them, of course we did and the channels pops without a problem, but why lie to us, they see our bill and its not cheap, I don’t understand why we keep running into this with Directv

sounds like you got a bad rep.

they told us we can hook the DVR/On-Demand box by our self how is that possible without a tech?
normally if you have the right dish they will send you the receiver if you ordered one. If you already have a DVR just plug the ethernet cable into the back and the VOD will work. You can request a tech visit if you added a receiver but that will cost you.

As for the locals if you currently didnt subscribe to locals your bill will be $3 less. If you are not being billed for locals right now the rep can't just turn them on. They do have to charge for them

sounds like you got a bad rep.

normally if you have the right dish they will send you the receiver if you ordered one. If you already have a DVR just plug the ethernet cable into the back and the VOD will work. You can request a tech visit if you added a receiver but that will cost you.

As for the locals if you currently didnt subscribe to locals your bill will be $3 less. If you are not being billed for locals right now the rep can't just turn them on. They do have to charge for them

hey, we fine paiding $3 more just tell us up front, not 2hrs later, and ethernet cable would make more sense they just said a phone cord to my mom

As a Independent Contractor who does installations of DirecTV I have to deal with customer service on a regular basis myself. I can tell you that DirecTV does its best in the area. Many Customer Service representatives are not 100% informed on the capabilities of the various system / systems. I can tell you that there is much room for improvement. The largest complaint that I hear from customers is on COST. Everything cost something, Even if you own your own receivers it is still $5 per month per receiver (Just one example of many).

In order to access the On demand features that the High Definition receivers HR22 and up you must have an Ethernet cable connected to the back of the DVR. If you have the New SWiM system you can connect via an Ethernet cable to the single DVR or you can connect the whole system (All Receivers) using the Broadband DECA. It is installed installed via your internet connection and router / modem and to the Satellite system via another line running to it just like a receiver.

Your Customer service representative must have been a tad confused Most of the time when I am dealing with customer service while in a customers home I have no problems. Getting to the proper department can be an issue at times but remember if you would like to talk to someone else just ask and the representative should have no problem transferring you.

Locals however are not free. The Cable companies advertise them as such but even they charge for them you just don't see it because it is included in the price of your service. This has been an issue for years and is something only congress, the FCC, the cable companies, and the Satellite Television providers can iron out. Apparently BY LAW the Satellite television providers must list locals as a separate charge and must inform you that is is a separate item of your programming package. Cable companies and the networks lobbied to have restrictions placed upon Satellite television companies because they wanted regional control over thier own broadcasting. In other words they did not want you to be able to watch Fox 11 Los Angeles in a Fox 5 Atlanta market.

I hope this helps.

Andre MacDonough

I don't know why you keep having issues with D* but you sure do seem to have a lot.
I know there are bad CSR's but you seem to get more then your fair share.
This leads me to believe there is more to this as there are 2 sides to every story or you are just really unlucky.

I am thinking there is a huge lack of understanding either on your part of what they can do for you or on their part of what you are trying to achieve.

To be honest I expect alot form my agents and they deliver and hence why they tend to do well on QC monitored calls. Now that being said I will say I seen agent notes that I just facepalm my self thinking what the hell.
There is something big for agents coming around mid Feb that will help improve the customer experience with the agents on the phone.

I don't know the other side of the story regarding the OP's issues with D* (perhaps there's not another side?), but I have been a D* subs since '99 and have had no significant issues with Cust Svc. Now, there's have been times were I needed to hang up politely, and reach a different CSR for one reason or another but I've always completed the phone call satisfied. I've had to do that in other situations as well, not-related to D*, calling other service vendors. It's just part of life's minor issues, I guess.

The part that I really appreciate from a customer that's calling CSR's is that I've never been routed to an overseas call center. I've heard that there are certain times of the day (late night in the continental US?) where some calls are routed to an overseas center but it's not happend to me in the 11+ years as a subs.

i will wait until to get the box to see what i need by Ethernet Cable, because my brother box (that's he got hook up last week is wireless)

I don't know for sure but based on some of the posts there may be a language and understanding barrier. Maybe the OP can work through someone that can talk to DirecTV for him.

I don't know for sure but based on some of the posts there may be a language and understanding barrier. Maybe the OP can work through someone that can talk to DirecTV for him.

i know most of mine post isn't perfect english, that why i keeping telling you my mother is the one calling D, when i email them i get CCO calling my mother just dumbfounded at how this could happen does the new box's have dongle? my brother did say something about a dongle

Wireless

DirecTV does not have a Wireless box nor does it have one that has WIFI built into it as of yet. The rumor mill being what it is says that WIFI may be a feature included in the the new DVR. That being said, I would not count my eggs before they hatch. Believe me it would make things much easier when doing installations in homes that have internet and WIFI Routers.

kjuled and stonecold are correct.

I am sure your issues are a lack of understanding on both sides of the isle. If the Customer Service Agent does not know exactly what the issue with the system is then He / She can not come up with an accurate solution. This will most likely end up in your frustration and dissatisfaction or a costly service call if you are not signed up for the DirecTV protection plan.

Patience is a must. The customer service agents field a lot of calls on a daily basis with a WIDE range of issues. Be patient with them. It is in their best interest to find a workable and satisfactory solution to your problem.

DirecTV takes Quality Control VERY seriously. I know on a first hand basis. If I fail a QC inspection on one of my installations It costs me a substantial amount of money. It is in my interest to make sure that the customer has the best installation that I can possibly provide. From how the Antenna is mounted Right down to the connectors on the ends of the cable. Yes DirecTV does come to random sights and inspects installations on a regular basis. My lively hood and a huge revenue stream for my company is based solely upon how I perform the installation. The Customer Service Representatives have quality Control validations and reviews of their own.

MacPointMan

i will wait until to get the box to see what i need by Ethernet Cable, because my brother box (that's he got hook up last week is wireless)

Currently there is no such thing as a wireless connection the internet and D*

There are 3 ways to connect a DVR to the internet for On Demand

1) Directly with a ethernet cable from your router to the ethernet port on the DVR.
2) Home plug - This is an ethernet port that runs a connection through your electrical lines.
3) D* DECA system (you must have SWM for this to work)

none are true wireless but 2 and 3 could be misrepresented as such.

As far as future receivers having wireless capabilities, I have no idea but there is nothing available at this moment.

well, i am ready either way, all i would need is a long Ethernet Cable from wallmart

Cat 5 From your HD DVR to your router.

Simply run a length of cat 5e from your HD DVR to your router. There is no need for more expensive cat 6 cable unless you have a Gigabit Ethernet router. The Network Adapters in the DVRs are 10/100 NICs.

IF I did your installation or ran a service call to your location I would have just made one for you. All you would have to do is ask. I carry a box of Cat 5e on my van for just this occurrence.

LNB3 Slimline Upgrades can benefit from this. I have made many a customer happy by just making them a cable and plugging them up. Heck sometimes our shop even has Ethernet cables we can pick up for free. I like Free.

MacPointMan

CAT6 is not that much more and why not be prepared for a very likely upgrade than buying twice? Now THAT is more expensive; and nto shopping SMART. Most new switches and routers being released will likely have gigabit and PC and laptops have been getting gigabit for a while so just be prepared.

20' example price: $2.43 (CAT5e) vs $3.16 (CAT6) = NO BRAINER

Why continue to keep customers in the dark by spreading mis-info?

i know most of mine post isn't perfect english, that why i keeping telling you my mother is the one calling D, when i email them i get CCO calling my mother just dumbfounded at how this could happen does the new box's have dongle? my brother did say something about a dongle

As an installer, I know there are ample Spanish language Customer Service Representatives (CSR) who are very smart and current on Directv procedures. There are also CSRs who have other language skills. Just ask for someone who speaks a language in which you are comfortable.

Dongle ?

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)