Is Directv DVRs that bad?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Some of my own observations between E's 622 and D's HR21. I have the 622 from E. My cousin has the hr21. Simple observations -- E's channel changing is faster, OTA reception is a plus and recall on recorded shows is easier to use. PQ for both is pretty much on even par. I think it depends on what you are watching and what your signal strength is. However, after saying that I saw alot of macro blocking on my cousins setup hence my questioning the signal strength and its effect on the PQ. Perhaps the slower operation of D's dvr is due to more window dressing. Their menus are prettier then E's. Also, I can record 3 shows while viewing a fourth that is already recorded -- I don't believe that any D dvr can do that yet.

I like all the HD that D is showing and if you are a true blue sports fan nobody is doing sports better the D. That being said, I am a movie buff and I believe that E edges out D in movies in HD. We all know that is going to go back and forth.

After playing with my cousin's setup for about two hours I can't see going to a D dvr for one thing -- it is just too slow! When I press a button I want action and I am not impressed if it takes a few seconds for the dvr to respond. I don't know if D can get the receiver to work faster but they need too. Accessing features and changing channels just takes too long. My guess is that if you have never used a 622 from E then you would not notice just how slow D's dvr is -- but it is slow.

As for customer service -- I have never had a problem with E's customer service. When I needed to exchange my 622 because the HDMI dropped out I had no problem getting it done for free even though I had had the DVR for over a year and I don't pay for equipment replacement ($5 a month I believe). I also do not have any problems with HD content or PQ on true HD shows.

My guess is that if you had E's HD service with one of their HD dvrs then you might have some disatisfaction with D's HD dvrs. However, if not, you will be like my cousin, you will like the dvr and the product that D is delivering to your home. So enjoy your choice of HD reguardless of which service you choose.

OK, I must be jinxed - It is Tuesday, the day the tech is supposed to be here. We are at the midpoint of the timeframe in which he is to come and he's not here yet - no big deal - I know that things happen and they run behind.

Phone rings - I answer it is DirecTV - woman on the phone seems really unsure of what she is doing, she asks for ... naming the two names on the account, I say "I am Mr. SoAndSo". She then says "Is this a commercial account?". "No it isn't" - I would think that they would know better than I.

Then she launches into her "Thank you for being a DirecTV customer since 1998......This is in reference to a recent call you made to DirecTV.......Are you satisfied with your DirecTV service?"

I respond "Actually I'm not"

She then asks what my last call was in regards to. (I would hope that they would have this information) I respond that I have been having a number of issues with my HD DVR.

She responds "You called on ..." <Click> That's right we got disconnected.

Well I will continue to wait for the tech and see what if anything gets resolved by realigning the dish (from the signal strength meter it needs it anyway) and then I'll call back and try to work through the other issues.

OK, I must be jinxed - It is Tuesday, the day the tech is supposed to be here. We are at the midpoint of the timeframe in which he is to come and he's not here yet - no big deal - I know that things happen and they run behind.

Remember if they run too far behind call D* and complain about it, you might get the $100 missed appointment credit on your bill.

Then she launches into her "Thank you for being a DirecTV customer since 1998......This is in reference to a recent call you made to DirecTV.......Are you satisfied with your DirecTV service?"
I'd be willing to wager that this woman was an employee of a third party survey organization.

Some of my own observations between E's 622 and D's HR21. I have the 622 from E. My cousin has the hr21. Simple observations -- E's channel changing is faster, OTA reception is a plus and recall on recorded shows is easier to use. PQ for both is pretty much on even par. I think it depends on what you are watching and what your signal strength is. However, after saying that I saw alot of macro blocking on my cousins setup hence my questioning the signal strength and its effect on the PQ. Perhaps the slower operation of D's dvr is due to more window dressing. Their menus are prettier then E's. Also, I can record 3 shows while viewing a fourth that is already recorded -- I don't believe that any D dvr can do that yet.

I like all the HD that D is showing and if you are a true blue sports fan nobody is doing sports better the D. That being said, I am a movie buff and I believe that E edges out D in movies in HD. We all know that is going to go back and forth.

After playing with my cousin's setup for about two hours I can't see going to a D dvr for one thing -- it is just too slow! When I press a button I want action and I am not impressed if it takes a few seconds for the dvr to respond. I don't know if D can get the receiver to work faster but they need too. Accessing features and changing channels just takes too long. My guess is that if you have never used a 622 from E then you would not notice just how slow D's dvr is -- but it is slow.

Well since last August when I signed on for this now ill-advised move to DTVs new HD programming, I'm on my 4th HR series receiver. 3 HR20s and my current HR
21. It's been an unbelievable nightmare for me personally. I have 1 yr left on my contract, and unless they come out with better H/W, I will definately move on to another provider.

There is something therapeutic about relating all this on-here. So here is the update for the day.

I had planned on calling at 4:01pm if the tech wasn't there by 4:00 (range was noon to 4). Tech got there around 3pm (there was a bit of a mix up as DirecTV had given him an incorrect address).

The problem for this call was searching for signal on the channels that had just switched satellites (such as ESPN, HBO etc.). He looked at the signal meter and said "Oh yeah, we can do much better". Looked at the dish - said it was mounted pretty good, but pointed out a few things that he thought were wrong. He spent about 10 minutes working on the dish. Voila - I'm getting all channels and signal strength is much better.

I mentioned the lockup problem to him, but I said that I knew he wasn't here for that issue, just asking if he'd encountered DVR locking up only when connected to a network. He said he hadn't.

So one problem solved. I have now plugged it back into the network to see if the lockups reoccur. If they do, I will be back on the phone with DTV and see what can be done.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)