Is Directv DVRs that bad?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cinci4u

Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
I am in the process of getting Directv. I am very concerned about DirectV's DVR performance. All I hear in the news forums is how bad the DVRs are. Is a two year commitment worth the problems? I currently have The Dish Network with a 625 and 622.

I am in the process of getting Directv. I am very concerned about DirectV's DVR performance. All I hear in the news forums is how bad the DVRs are. Is a two year commitment worth the problems? I currently have The Dish Network with a 625 and 622.

We have had alot of receiver trouble, but love all the sports. We are on our 3rd HR20-700 and it is now having trouble. We have to restart it at least once a day. Major hassel.

Why did you decide to switch from Dish to DirecTV? I heard their DVR's are one of the best.

We have had alot of receiver trouble, but love all the sports. We are on our 3rd HR20-700 and it is now having trouble. We have to restart it at least once a day. Major hassel.

Do you have adequate airflow to you entertainment center? I sounds like something is covering the vents and it's overheating.

In the 13 months I've had my HR20-700 I've never had a major issue. Excepting CE testing some known pathological behavior, I don't think I've pressed the reset button more than twice running a national release firmware.

Why did you decide to switch from Dish to DirecTV? I heard their DVR's are one of the best.

What's so great about the Dish Network DVRs?

AFAIK, their main feature over DirecTV (and cable for that matter) are PIP/secondary output. Sure that would be great for Sunday Ticket, but I don't really how that (or any other features their DVRs have) override the absence of any real VOD support.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. I had my HR20 for 8 months and never had a problem. I don't know why everybody is talking bad about Direct TV DVR. I love mine. I used to have the 622 and I wasn't to impress with it. Not enough to keep me with E*. Go ahead and get it. You won't regret it.

I have 3 HD DVR's and havent had not one issue with any of them. Software wise, D*'s DVR is very close to what E*'s DVR is now. I know that everyone used to dog on D*'s dvr in the past but it has improved over 1000% from the good ole days. As a new coustomer it will take a while to get used to but once you do, you will find out that it isnt that bad.

Do you have adequate airflow to you entertainment center? I sounds like something is covering the vents and it's overheating.

In the 13 months I've had my HR20-700 I've never had a major issue. Excepting CE testing some known pathological behavior, I don't think I've pressed the reset button more than twice running a national release firmware.

Yeah it is sitting out in the open. I have had alot of trouble with these babies. We have 3, one has never failed (16 months). One has been replaced twice and the other 3 times. All for the same type of issues.

D* DVR's are that bad, and they are not worth the problems. I can't wait until my contract is up to go back to E*. The HR-20 is just a bad piece of equipment. D*'s advantages are signal strength and sports packages. E*'s advantages are everything else under the sun.

D* DVR's are that bad, and they are not worth the problems. I can't wait until my contract is up to go back to E*. The HR-20 is just a bad piece of equipment. D*'s advantages are signal strength and sports packages. E*'s advantages are everything else under the sun.

I take it you have had a lot of trouble as well.

What good is a DVR, or any receiver for that matter, if you don't get adequate signal strength to watch anything other than "Searching for Satellite"

I've got a HR21, 3 R15's, and an R10 and I've never, ever had a problem with any of them.

Personally, I find that the DirecTV interface is a lot better than the Dish interface that I had when I was a customer.

Edit to add: I also find that D*'s pricing structure is a lot easier to understand and follow than E*'s, who seem to hit you with a different charge everytime you turn around.

Last edited:

Way overstated!

If it's that bad, then you ought to just quit D* and go back to the EVERYTHING under the Sun guy's.
What exactly does DISH have programming wise that D* doesn't that makes the "Everything else under the sun " statement.

Lets see, Dish does NOT have Sports and DISH does have movies, but D* is slowly catching up in that area. Oh ya, btw, D* has a plan for LOCALS and DISH has lawsuits to deal with over thier locala, so ya DISH has D* beat clearly in every area, except I could not find any.

IF ya just don't like D*, thats fine, DON'T come here just to bash them because your bored.... Bring something with you... Everyone can say that D*'s dvr's suk, sure they can, but these are usually people that do not have them anymore or those that do not want to adjust to the NEW stuff D* has.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts