IS DIRECTV Installer wrong......I hope so!!!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MDB in SE La

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
Hammond
I'm a Dish customer that is wanting to switch to Direct probably the first week in May. I saw an installer at a neighbor's house and ask him to come look at my install and he said he'd be here in 15 minutes. I have a residence with a dual tuner and single tuner in my house and a single tuner going to a uncle house still on the property 30 feet behind our house. He has my address and gets his mail here but the installer said it would be a different contract because it's two seperate living establishments. His water, sewer, and electricity come through my home so he has no meters spinning, everything is through me. So I don't understand, why does he have to have a seperate contract. Might make me stay with Dish Network as Dish carries that tv as a 4th tv. Any ideas out there from any of the installers or DirecTV gurus. Thanks in advance.

The installer has no way other than your word and his eyes to make a fast judgment call and he erred on the side of caution; which was right for HIM.

If you are 100% sure that the land parcels are the same and just two homes on the same parcel; then call DirecTV and get installed. Just because he gets his mail and stuff may not be enough, but call and talk to someone else first.

Seeing that your in Louisiana your uncles house if this is an old place you live in is most likely a servants house or an inlaw house. I've seen few places like that here in north georgia though they arent that common anymore with people breaking up old plantations and other historical properties like that. If they want to fuss about it you can always go to the county records and get your property information showing that the outbuilding is indeed not a seperate address, you might also get some good history on the property and what if any role it played in history.

as a former installer I can say that it's a good thing he was asking about the residence, you can share a dish with a seperate address but not the same account to put it simply, though it sounds like its should be no different than running it to my garage, but if it was a seperate property it would be violating federal law to share the same account.

I have done a few of these.

Expect to pay the installer for everything that is not connected to the first (main) building. If it is all the same address you have no problem. If it is a different address a second account is needed.

Technically, it is easier and sometimes cheaper to mount a second dish on the distant structure than run underground or aerial cable. You will be limited to less than 300 ft.(DTV says 125 but they just built the system) by the physics of the cable & receiver output.

If the installer was an in house guy he is under different rules.

Joe

Yeah, only 30 feet away too, don't volunteer any more info, just tell the installer to put the 4th box in that guest house 30 feet away and you are all set.

when he puts the multiswitch in have it wire to someplace in your house and then when the tech leaves go to a audio video store and get your self rg6 cable and do it yourself

........but if it was a seperate property it would be violating federal law to share the same account.

Scarebear.....it's not seperate property, I own the property and he stays there. All the bills come through me not seperately.

taz291819........Just say it's guest quarters, and be done with it.

Taz......you're right, it really is guest quarters, just so happens that the guest is my uncle.

I think the installer was really way off base and am going to try someone else as I want to be completely legal and don't want something coming up like it did with Dish back in 2005 with a 5 receiver and a motorhome. It caused Dish to loose approx 1300/year in premium from me backed down to a really modest annual charge sorta as a penalty but the big dig was when my kids found out exactly and precisely what happened, right now they/we/I can count on two hands.....9 pretty big contracts that Dish lost since then because of that. My problems started the ball rolling and I've ask everyone and they point back to my problems back in 2005as to the original reason of looking to leave. That is also my reason, now that I've lost Sky Angel, to leave Dish. Thanks for all the comments guys.

First never talk to th"Directv" guy, he works them directly. Always go to your local retailer first. I bet they will be more willing to work with you to get the job. Plus you can always walk into your local retailer's store, there is no store for 1800DIRECTV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)