Is Dish 1000Plus worth getting to help with Rain Fade

ScottChez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
While we wait for the Hopper OTA tuner I thought it was time for a TECH question to keep our brains warmed up :)

I am thinking of switching from DireCTV to Hopper (I dont watch sports much).

FIRST QUESTION:
Normally for my area you would get the Western Arch and a normal Dish 1000.2 that is sized at 20.7" x 25.9" This gets Sats at 110 119 and 129

If I sign up AND also get ONE international package at the time of sign up which means they *MUST* also give me the 118.7 sat
I would then get a Dish 1000 Plus that is bigger and it does 110 119 and 129 PLUS 118.7 for international it is sized at 30.9 x 23.8

Is this bigger dish worth getting? The international is $10 a month (lowest priced package) and I could cancel after a couple of months.

I have DirecTV and hardly ever have rain fade its dish is 36 x 22 similar to the Dish 1000Plus

What do you guys think? Anyone having good luck with the Dish 1000 Plus on the Hopper? Do you also need a DPP 44 switch plus the normal hopper switch in this config?

Size=20.7" x 25.9"
Sats=110 119 129

1000Plus
Size=30.9" x 23.8
Sats=110 119 129 118.7

DirecTV
Size=36.0" x 22.0"
Sats=99 101 110 103.0

SECOND QUESTION:
I think I read where all Sats must have public interest channels on it (FCC RULE for DBS sats), does the 118.7 have any free channels under the PI rules for dish customers? I checked the sat list and map links above and could not tell if they are Public Interest (PI)

Last edited:
I have a 1000+, I do get the occassional free preview of an international channel on 118, I don't subscribe to any international pack, I used to get Euronews
But Dish now requires I get an international package with it, so not worth it.

I bought and setup my dish with the DPP44 I don't have a Hopper but I would see no problem using the DPP44 and Hopper.

This Dish is not going to stop Rain Fade.. Making sure your current dish is aligned to it's best is the all you can do.. The Larger DirecTV Dish has the same problems, it just has a Different look angle which changes things in a small way. My DirecTV goes out from rain on the same frequency that my Dish goes out. Just not always at the same time.

Last edited:
I got a Western Arc 1000.4 dish while I still could third party. While,yes,I do get rain fade with 129 during heavy storms,I'm more than satisfied with the western arc 1000.4 Dish,versus the fact that I had an Eastern Arc LNB & a wing dish for 119 if I couldn't receive 129. Well the installer found 129 okay,& now I just shudder every time I read that one or more of the Eastern Arc satellites have gone down seemingly yet again & I think,"that could have been me getting frustrated by EA satellites going off line."

The 1000.4 WA gives on average about 10% boost in signal. For instance, my 1000.2 picks up 129 at about a 59 signal strength. If I had the 1000.4 pointed at WA (I do have one for EA) it would be about 65. Not a significant enough difference to account for anything more than maybe a couple of minutes at most of "rain fade" which is actually more like cloud fade. The 1000 Plus (also known as 1000.5 when used on EA) is slightly larger than the 1000.4 so the difference would be about the same.

The only thing you can do for rain fade is ensure you have a clear LOS, a well-mounted dish, no foliage or other obstructions, and peak the signal as high as you can get it. Oh and in 129's case move farther south so that your look angle is higher (higher look angle = less atmosphere and other obstructions, less atmosphere = less rain fade.)

I am in Omaha.

What about the question of any free Public Interest channels (PI) on this sat to meet FCC requirements. For the person how has this sat and had Internationals do you see any PI channels?

Here is a long list here

http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?page=sub

Check check the 118.7 box

I also searched google and found one listing of a free news channel. Can any one confirm it still works for free with subscription to any dish package, even English ones.

http://www.don-lors.com/Satellite-TV-Residential/Channels/KBSWorld.htm

Last edited:
The signals are sometimes higher on that dish, but as a previous poster mentioned, usually only a few points. However, sometimes it is as much as 10 points. After peaking dishes for a few years now it's interesting how what you're looking at makes a difference. For example; If I find a narrow line of sight for any dish where it's clear by maybe only 3 degrees I can get the signals peaked in completely above limit scans, passing for Dish Network standards, however if I put a dish where there's nothing close to the line of sight with 15, 20 degrees or more I can get the signals noticeably higher. It's as if you get a little 'bonus signal strength' or the outer fringes of the line of sight.

Where I live, I use a k.4 e.a. because be we need 61.5 for local channels. I could use a k.2 ea now as well but just haven't switched it out. I live in a condo where the k.4 and k.2 are not overbearing eyesores.

For me, the highest signals I could get if I wanted to do it would be a 1000+ with a wing dish for 61.5. There is a newer Dish Pro Plus 500+ LNB that has an 'lnb in' port on it. In your case this would eliminate the need for a 44 switch. I would pull the trigger. If you dish is getting roof mounted make sure to request support arms on the mast.

Here are signals from a customer I installed.

119.jpg129.jpg118.jpg110.jpgd

Just a what if type of question, but what if you pointed a dish 500 plus with a single lnbf to each wa slot. Would that increase the signal. Of course you would have 3 different odus and a 44sw or 33sw would be needed but would that bring it up any?

Just a what if type of question, but what if you pointed a dish 500 plus with a single lnbf to each wa slot. Would that increase the signal. Of course you would have 3 different odus and a 44sw or 33sw would be needed but would that bring it up any?

Multiple dishes are better- not aesthetically speaking. Have had a dish500 for ~7 years, and then added a modified directv WNC dish for 129. this setup has worked really well.

Imagine 3 dish 500 plus dishes ,each with a single lnb pointed to 110/119/129. The signal strength would be most likely 100 or higher on each sat. Of course the aesthetic factor would leave something to be desired. But if you do like me and put the dishes out back where no one sees , it could be done. Rain fade ? What is Rain fade?;)

I don't think you can even get over 90 these days.

Also, rain fade will always happen. Once a thick enough cloud passes, well, let's just say it doesn't matter how big the dish is, there is no way that it will strengthen a zero signal.

OR...... if you have the space and want to get a little crazy, 3- 10ft or 12ft modified c-band dishes would would probably eliminate rain fade.

have an extra 36" dish laying around that might just replace that modified dtv dish for 129. been over 100* everyday for a long time now, so it has been on hold.

OR...... if you have the space and want to get a little crazy, 3- 10ft or 12ft modified c-band dishes would would probably eliminate rain fade.

have an extra 36" dish laying around that might just replace that modified dtv dish for 129. been over 100* everyday for a long time now, so it has been on hold.

You must be in Phoenix.

Even BUDs won't completely eliminate rain fade since as I said you can't magnify no signal at all (when tall clouds are rolling through.) Though it would shave some time off.

You must be in Phoenix.

Even BUDs won't completely eliminate rain fade since as I said you can't magnify no signal at all (when tall clouds are rolling through.) Though it would shave some time off.

S. TX, bud. Summer pretty much all the time.

Agreed--> but the clouds that blink out c-band are basketball players compared to the ones that knock out the pizza pans, LOL.

S. TX, bud. Summer pretty much all the time.

Agreed--> but the clouds that blink out c-band are basketball players compared to the ones that knock out the pizza pans, LOL.

Oh forgot about S. TX :p .

Yeah true to an extent however the biggest difference in Ku-vs-C rain fade is the frequency of the signal. C band is 4-8GHz whereas Ku is 12-18. The higher the frequency the higher the attenuation when it comes to rain fade. The Ka band (DirecTV uses it for HD) is even more susceptible to "rain fade" which is more like cloud fade.

Anyway my point was that you said a BUD would greatly reduce rain fade however with it still being the Ku band if the signal is completely blocked by clouds (which is not near as hard as it is with C) then no matter how big the dish is there won't be any signal to magnify. Ku band sats even transmit their signals a lot stronger than C band (thus the reason that smaller dishes can be used) yet they are a good bit more susceptible to rain fade. C band can't be broadcast as strong as Ku as the C band signal that is broadcast down upon the Earth would interfere with terrestrial microwave equipment if the signal were too strong. Otherwise we would have "Pizza Pan" C band dishes instead of dealing with Ku rain fade.

Anyway my point was that you said a BUD would greatly reduce rain fade however with it still being the Ku band if the signal is completely blocked by clouds (which is not near as hard as it is with C) then no matter how big the dish is there won't be any signal to magnify. Ku band sats even transmit their signals a lot stronger than C band (thus the reason that smaller dishes can be used) yet they are a good bit more susceptible to rain fade. C band can't be broadcast as strong as Ku as the C band signal that is broadcast down upon the Earth would interfere with terrestrial microwave equipment if the signal were too strong. Otherwise we would have "Pizza Pan" C band dishes instead of dealing with Ku rain fade.

For sure, but it would be a fun setup. Would do it if we had the space.

I have a 500 plus pan with a 1000.4 WA LNB and 1000.4 arm. My signal levels a noticeably higher than they were with a 1000.2.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)