Is Dish ever going to 1080p for all broadcasts?

Muckrak3r

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Texas
I recently got a 73" 1080p TV and realize the artifacts in the compressed 1080i on Dish. It still looks great overall but I would love to see all the HD shows in 1080p.

Chances are you would still see what you see at 1080i over Dish. Right now anyway.

Now if they raised the bit rate you would see an improvement

Doubtful we will see broadcast 1080p for quite some time due to increased bandwidth for everyone involved...sat, cable, OTA. Years away.

I recently got a 73" 1080p TV and realize the artifacts in the compressed 1080i on Dish. It still looks great overall but I would love to see all the HD shows in 1080p.

Muckrak3r,

There are no companies anywhere by that, OTA broadcast network, or Cable network that are going to provide a signal in 1080p. The only content you will see in 1080p will be select content, available only as a impulse purchase, either VOD or PPV.

John

Muckrak3r,

There are no companies anywhere by that, OTA broadcast network, or Cable network that are going to provide a signal in 1080p. The only content you will see in 1080p will be select content, available only as a impulse purchase, either VOD or PPV.

John

Dont forget about Xbox 360's. You can play games in 1080P. The first provider to go 1080P will most likely be espn, and that wont be for another few years down the line at least!

If they ran it 1080p you would see a whole lot more artifacts as they would have to compress the hell out of it to make it fit.

1080p is a fairly worthless gimmick invented by a few TV manufacturers to sell big screens. There is very little product available for the average consumer at this point.

Ercjncpr,

Agreed, although on a very good encoded BluRay 1080p looks fantastic, case in point the Dark Knight Bluray Disc.

John

Doubtful we will see broadcast 1080p for quite some time due to increased bandwidth for everyone involved...sat, cable, OTA. Years away.

There is no increase in bandwidth for 1080P/24 (i.e. movie based) or for 1080P/30. The only problem is that few of the providers are even experimenting with it and none are currently providing it regularly. Only increased bandwidth is for 1080p/60.

MPEG4

1080p for broadcast TV is just absurd IMO. If the 1080i looked great you wouldnt be wanting it.

Next step in broadcast TV is going to be MPEG4. Just had a talk recently with my Chief Engineer about we need to start preparing for going MPEG4. Haven't heard anything about any provider thinking of going 1080p.

Ercjncpr,

Agreed, although on a very good encoded BluRay 1080p looks fantastic, case in point the Dark Knight Bluray Disc.

John

It does make it tough watching "regular" hd after watching a really good blu ray where details are so life like.

If they ran it 1080p you would see a whole lot more artifacts as they would have to compress the hell out of it to make it fit.
So true. They cannot even get 1080i right -- by "right" I mean not over-compressed. If they would give 1080i the proper bandwidth/bitrate then you wouldn't even be concerned with 1080p.

It does make it tough watching "regular" hd after watching a really good blu ray where details are so life like.
The difference you are seeing is most likely more due to the fact the sat/cable providers aren't giving enough bandwidth to their 1080i broadcasts more than difference between 1080i vs. 1080p.

1080p is a fairly worthless gimmick invented by a few TV manufacturers to sell big screens.
Not entirely true. Panels that can display 1080 natively are much better for doing computer work (1920x1080 vs. 1280x720) -- and more and more people are connecting their big screens to their PCs.

The difference you are seeing is most likely more due to the fact the sat/cable providers aren't giving enough bandwidth to their 1080i broadcasts more than difference between 1080i vs. 1080p.

True. I did say "really good" as in pq. Not all blu ray disc are created equal. There are plenty in the "crappy" pq catagory as well.

Considering that of "all broadcasts", less than 10% are probably in 1080i, maybe we should focus on that first.

Again it is a contest between the number of channels and bandwidth per channel. Right now number of channels wins. Dish/DIRECTV want the bragging rights of the most channels since that sells subscriptions.

Over the long run the picture should improve as they add more capacity and run out of channels to add in HD. Once they have a fairly fixed number of HD channels they will improve with better compression techniques. Right now when they add capacity with new satellites and better compression, they just increase compression to squeeze in more channels, trying to maintain the same perceived PQ.

Where do you get the 10%? Just pull it out of air or what?:D

Major networks, it's more like 35% HD material (7-8 hours per day, more on weekends with football, etc.) of course ABC and FOX are 720p, only CBS, NBC and PBS are 1080i. Then you guestimate the cable channels that call themselves HD, maybe 40% is HD material (WAG).

Of course all generalizations are false.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts