Is Dish ever going to add any more channels?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
TNGTony said:
We are talking about TWO channels a few people are screaming about. That's it. Not EVERYone wants this stuff. Not Everyone cares. If they Did, Dish would not have 10.5 million subscribers out of 24 million.

See ya
Tony
I would love to know how many of those 10.5 million subscribe to an International package. I guarantee that is a substantial share of Dish's subscriber base. Nothing wrong with that. But, one needs to realize it's reality. Dish knows which side its bread is buttered on, and definitely keeps adding more butter to that side.

GaryPen said:
I would love to know how many of those 10.5 million subscribe to an International package. I guarantee that is a substantial share of Dish's subscriber base. Nothing wrong with that. But, one needs to realize it's reality. Dish knows which side its bread is buttered on, and definitely keeps adding more butter to that side.

Dish went after a market that Cable completely (and Direct for the most part) ignored, but I'm not sure if I would say that it was substantial (unless your definition of substantial is a bit different than mine). They way you make it sound, 9 million out of the 10.5 (and actually I believe I remember reading somewhere it's over 11 million now) are international. My guess would be it is 1/3 maybe if even that, but when you can charge the same amount for a 4 pack of international that you can for the top 60 package, it's still a pretty good deal for Dish! Not a bad business strategy if you ask me.

No no. To me, substantial would be 25%. I think that is a conservative estimate of the number of Dish subs who subscribe to, and chose Dish mainly for, International programming. Does that sound like a reasonable guesstimate? (Although, your guess of 33% is even more substantial.)

There is nothing wrong with it. And, it is an excellent business strategy. However, it also explains why Charles In Charge prefers to add Internationals instead of mainstream English language channels. Dish subs need to understand that.

That's why prospective subs who want the most sports and/or mainstream English-language arts and entertainment might do better to investigate DirecTV or their local Cableco's offerings before settling for Dish.

NpaulTodd said:
IS DIsh Going to get the " Horror Channel " , Not quite sure if thats the exact Name of it but its a Channel thats dedicated to Horror Movies 24/7 , I think its available in Canada Now !
not on ExpressVu & StarChoice (those are the 2 canadian dth providers)

chaddux said:
They definitely are NOT basic cable channels. "Basic" cable packages normally have very few channels such as local channels and a few others. They are very limited in content and it would be unlikely they would include very expensive channels such as Oxygen and NFL Network. For my local cable company, Oxygen is only available with their top tier digital package and the NFL Network is NOT available at all. Personally, I don't want my bill going up for Oxygen! Oxygen is a women's channel which makes me wonder why you want it so bad. :D
]

I get both oxygen and the NFL Network with Comcast Digital basic in Chattanooga, TN.

I wouldnt wanna rely on Directv for hd--you have to qualify for the hd nets and you have to buy the package for Starz and Max. Yeah its nice but your talking what, $25 for those two hd channels??

Many International subs also have US programming

I would say that almost all of the international subs that I have installed also take American programming, though usually just AT60. Why? It's a better deal. Why pay $70 for the install of 1 dish and 1 receiver then $30/month for 2 Indian channels when you can get a free install with more receivers and good promotions and only pay $25 for the Indian channels. Sometimes, when you average it out and factor in promotions, it comes to like $10/month more for AT60. No brainer to me.

Of course. It makes perfect sense. Why would they get their English-language programming from another source, if they're already getting Dish for their Internationals?

However, I would count them as International subs, even if they sub to ATxx, as their primary reason for choosing Dish was the availability fof their native language programming.

Dish does need to add some new channels that arnt locals or international. This has been one of my biggest complaints with them. They have added some HD too. I want some more SD channels that cable has. Our cable has Oxygen in the package before the digital service. I wouldn't mind seeing Dish add that but honestly I don't really care about that I however do want to see ESPN U added it would be nice if it was added and you didn't have to pay extra for it but I highly doubt it. I want to see some new channels and would like them to be in the AT120 package or even the AT50 or 60 or whatever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)