Is Dish heading towards dropping locals?

Locast is an app, not a station. It’s just like Netflix, it’s on the Hopper but you can’t record the programming.

Why then does the locast app show up in my apps on my Hopper and then just says they’re not available in my area yet yet. ?

The Locast app installed on the Hopper does not show its listings in the program guide even when you're in an available area. It has it's own guide and no record function. Have you tried recording programming on any of the other Hopper apps?

The Locast app installed on the Hopper does not show its listings in the program guide even when you're in an available area. It has it's own guide and no record function. Have you tried recording programming on any of the other Hopper apps?
There was a really really good ap that had every availble sub and main channel...thats about 40 in nyc...but they charged for dvr services...about $8 a month but the supreme court ruled that illegal..i think it was aereo..something like that

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: NYDutch
There was a really really good ap that had every availble sub and main channel...thats about 40 in nyc...but they charged for dvr services...about $8 a month but the supreme court ruled that illegal..i think it was aereo..something like that

I currently get the Big 4 networks with the "Fitzy TV" app on my FireStick. They offer a $5/month 25-hour DVR option. You do have to have the individual network apps installed and activated though, for Fitzy to recognize them.

The technician came out today to install the OTA antenna on the roof. Signal strength is measuring high all around and picture quality of the local channels is very good. Guide data hasn’t yet filled in for the main channels, and I assume it never will fill-in for many of the sub channels. Not sure I care about sub channels, possibly some of the additional local PBS channels. Discovered a sub channel called Comet that plays sci-fi movies and another called “Heroes and Icons” that has been playing Star Trek all evening. Without guide data, most of the sub channels are going to be removed from our favorites list.

Haven’t tried recording OTA but did pause, rewind, and fast-forward a local channel.

Overall, I am very pleased with the installation even though it does add three or four additional cords behind the television. Taking $12 a month off my bill is big.

Last edited:
Reactions: comfortably_numb
Just an FYI to anyone considering: If you do drop locals, you lose your ability to stream ABC/FOX/NBC through the Hopper and Dish Anywhere. Which might be obvious, but I hadn't realized that I dropped them.

Just an FYI to anyone considering: If you do drop locals, you lose your ability to stream ABC/FOX/NBC through the Hopper and Dish Anywhere. Which might be obvious, but I hadn't realized that I dropped them.

Just tried it and can stream the OTA channels live in Dish Anywhere by going to guide and clicking on the current program.

Last edited:
The technician came out today to install the OTA antenna on the roof. Signal strength is measuring high all around and picture quality of the local channels is very good. Guide data hasn’t yet filled in for the main channels, and I assume it never will fill-in for many of the sub channels. Not sure I care about sub channels, possibly some of the additional local PBS channels. Discovered a sub channel called Comet that plays sci-fi movies and another called “Heroes and Icons” that has been playing Star Trek all evening. Without guide data, most of the sub channels are going to be removed from our favorites list.

Haven’t tried recording OTA but did pause, rewind, and fast-forward a local channel.

Overall, I am very pleased with the installation even though it does add three or four additional cords behind the television. Taking $12 a month off my bill is big.

Assuming the PHX is Phoenix, are you north of South Mountain? I'm 15 or so miles south and with my current directional antenna mounted to the Dish pole on the edge of my roof. I get great reception on all but channel 12. For whatever reason it shows about 70 on the signal strength meter, all others are close to 100. Watching the OTA broadcast I get occasional drops. I'd suspect the antenna or its positioning if I didn't get such strong signals on all other channels.

That misconception bit me as well.
Just tried it and can stream the OTA channels live in Dish Anywhere by going to guide and clicking on the current program.

He's not talking about slinging an OTA channel; he's talking about on-demand.
This is incorrect.

Since when? I dropped satellite delivered locals and record stuff OTA. When I delete one of my OTA recordings, the H3 shows me the same program with an On Demand next to it. If I try to watch any program On Demand, it says I have to subscribe first. If you have a way around this, please spill!

You can get a roku andvuse your dush credentials

Right after I dropped locals, the ABC and NBC apps told me I don't have a subscription to view their content and need to upgrade my programming. The Fox app is also more limited. Don't really watch much CBS, so I don't know if anything changed there, but I assume so.

And, yeah, I forgot to put "On Demand" in my post.

Reactions: dweber and TheKrell
That misconception bit me as well.

He's not talking about slinging an OTA channel; he's talking about on-demand.

Since when? I dropped satellite delivered locals and record stuff OTA. When I delete one of my OTA recordings, the H3 shows me the same program with an On Demand next to it. If I try to watch any program On Demand, it says I have to subscribe first. If you have a way around this, please spill!

He said "you lose the opportunity to stream through the Hopper," which I took to mean slinging the live channel. If that's not what he meant, then I apologize.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts