Is Dish installation mandatory?

mmc-dsm

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
Hi all,

Let's say I'm in Canada and I want to subscribe to dish network and I have a US address because of family living in the US, can I buy my stuff, install it and call dish to activate? Will they refuse or tell me a tech as to come install? For the other details, correct me if I'm wrong, but I need a US address, a US telephone for that address and a credit card at that address? If yes, I have all that.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
You should be good to go but may not get any network locals. It is illegal in Canada to receive Satellite Service from another counrty.

Thanks for the answers.

I know I will have no locals and I'm not expecting any discounts.

One other thing I'm just thinking, since I'm not plugging in any phone line, will it pose any problems? Do they make checks or charge a fee for not plugging the phone line?

No. I haven't had a land line in 15 years. No way to connect my receiver to my cellphone. You just can't get instant pay-per-view.

Hi all,

Let's say I'm in Canada and I want to subscribe to dish network and I have a US address because of family living in the US, can I buy my stuff, install it and call dish to activate? Will they refuse or tell me a tech as to come install? For the other details, correct me if I'm wrong, but I need a US address, a US telephone for that address and a credit card at that address? If yes, I have all that.

Thanks in advance.

It is possible. If possible I suggest get the dish installed at your friends place in the US and then have him ship out the whole equipment to you.
This is mainly to mitigate the dish installation rules. If you get the Hopper or Joey, they will insist on home installation. In my opinion Vip922 or the Hopper are the best selections. 922 is no longer available.
As for Locals, it might still be possible to get them. If you are trying to get the Eastern Arc. Check the listing on the Eastern Arc and check for CONUS Locals and then change the service address to an address to that place. You can keep billing the same as your credit card in the US.

The only downside I see is that you will not receive your bills which can be changed to an autopay so that's a non issue. Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any questions.

Do not get the 922. They appear to be no longer being made available to anyone other than who already own one to replace it, very buggy, and most likely will have no furher updates. That at least appears to be the situation. The 722 or 612, are much better options, and cost less. If you won't have locals, that takes away a feature of the Hopper......

Do not get the 922. They appear to be no longer being made available to anyone other than who already own one to replace it, very buggy, and most likely will have no furher updates. That at least appears to be the situation. The 722 or 612, are much better options, and cost less. If you won't have locals, that takes away a feature of the Hopper......

What is the local's hopper feature?

What is the local's hopper feature?

Prime Time Anytime:

c/p

The PrimeTime Anytime™ feature is exclusive to your Hopper HD DVR and once enabled,
will provide on-demand access to your favorite shows on ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC in
high definition. (Note if any of your local HD channels are not available in your market,
these shows cannot be recorded.) Programs airing during prime-time hours, 8-11 p.m. ET
Monday through Saturday, and 7-11 p.m. ET on Sunday, will be recorded and accessible
for eight days from their initial air dates. And you can always save the shows to your DVR
library to be able to watch them at any time, or delete one or more shows at any time.

Interesting !! I have two Vip's 622 and 922. If I upgrade one to a hopper, the other will have to be upgraded as well. I don't want to change all the equipment, specially after the Locals switch on the eastern arc.

I checked the receivers and will go with the vip612. Dish 1000.4 EA already on the way. Also will go with autopay on the credit card.

I'm just curious about the locals though...I'm in the northeast US locals area so pretty much New England locals area. I would of loved to get NESN but since my US address is in the southeast US area, I just put a cross on that. Changing service address? How would that work?

UPDATE :

Well it worked but with some problems.....

So I call Dish to open a new account and to activate a VIP612K I bought used. Plan is to take America's top 200 on a 2 year contract to get 15$/month rebate for the first year; at that point, 34.99$/first year and 59.99$/second year. Plan is also to have HD free because of the 2 year contract. I know I will to pay for the DVR fee, so that's OK.

Here's the result : I'm told by the CSR that the 2 year contract is only on leased receivers. So I'm f****d because I bought a used receiver. I end up not having the 15$/month rebate for the first year and I end up paying 10$/month for HD. Numbers :

34.99$ + 6.00$ = 40.99$ plus tx "expected" (first year)
59.99$ + 6.00$ + 10.00 = 75.99$ plus tx "now"

Also I'm told by the CSR that I will not be able to get the 10$ credit for taking autopay/paperless again because I have activated a used receiver.

Oh well....

Another note, I bought a 1000.4 EA, no signal on 77W....I saw the threads on that satellite slot, but in the end will it be used someday?

(Also I'm told by the CSR that I will not be able to get the 10$ credit for taking autopay/paperless again because I have activated a used receiver.)

That is a crock of manure.If you sign up for autopay or pay $99 you get HD free for life.makes no difference if its new leased or used receiver.Contact a dirt member here at the site.

True if they know your in CA good luck.That said though if they are gonna allow you to sub then the same rules should apply.HD free with autopay or $99 one time charge.

Oh I agree with the OP getting all credits he's entitled to as a customer. But since it's known he's in Canada, DIRT may be hesitant (or unwilling) to assist.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)