Is DISH migrating channels from 110 and 119 to 72 and 77?

spudmancbr954rr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
I had an appointment scheduled today (1-17-11) for a Dish installer to come out and re-aim the dish that is currently picking up my 110 and 119 signals in order to allow it to now pick up the signal from 72 and 77. I did this because I received a call from Dish Network last week from a woman who told me this needed to be done because sometime in March or April of this year, the signal would be removed from the 110 and 119 satellites. Well, when the installer arrived it didn't take him long to determine that because of very large trees in my yard as well as surrounding yards, I have no line of site to the 72 and 77 locations. The surprising thing though, was when he told me that since I had my second dish already pointing at the 61.5 location for my HD channels, I would be fine leaving the other dish where it is for the 110 and 119 satellites. When I told him that I had been told by Dish that those signals would be going away in a few months, he said he had not heard anything like that.
Seeing as we were in the middle of a heavy snow storm here today anyway, I had no problem with him simply leaving everything the way it was. What I would like to know though is whether or not I will continue to receive programming from the 110 and 119 locations after March or April of this year. If not, I will unfortunately have to cancel my service with Dish and move to AT&T U-Verse, since there is simply nowhere to mount a dish on my property to have a line of sight to those locations. That would truly suck, since I firmly believe that Dish not only has the best DVR on the market today, but also provides the best programming as well.

Without knowing which market you are in, it is hard to predict where you locals will run. Since you cannot see 72/77 you would be best off with 129 instead of 61.5 unless your locals are on 61.5, then a 4 sat solution would be best with 110/119/129/61.5 for the time being. The other issue of course is that Dish could move locals from 61.5 to 77 in the future.

I had an appointment scheduled today (1-17-11) for a Dish installer to come out and re-aim the dish that is currently picking up my 110 and 119 signals in order to allow it to now pick up the signal from 72 and 77. I did this because I received a call from Dish Network last week from a woman who told me this needed to be done because sometime in March or April of this year, the signal would be removed from the 110 and 119 satellites. Well, when the installer arrived it didn't take him long to determine that because of very large trees in my yard as well as surrounding yards, I have no line of site to the 72 and 77 locations. The surprising thing though, was when he told me that since I had my second dish already pointing at the 61.5 location for my HD channels, I would be fine leaving the other dish where it is for the 110 and 119 satellites. When I told him that I had been told by Dish that those signals would be going away in a few months, he said he had not heard anything like that.
Seeing as we were in the middle of a heavy snow storm here today anyway, I had no problem with him simply leaving everything the way it was. What I would like to know though is whether or not I will continue to receive programming from the 110 and 119 locations after March or April of this year. If not, I will unfortunately have to cancel my service with Dish and move to AT&T U-Verse, since there is simply nowhere to mount a dish on my property to have a line of sight to those locations. That would truly suck, since I firmly believe that Dish not only has the best DVR on the market today, but also provides the best programming as well.

You weren't very specific on your statement here. What channels are going away? Are they your locals? Since you are HD you are already missing several HD channels. W/O either 72.7 or 129 many of the HD channels are on those birds. I would have anther tech come and see if there is another place the dish can go to get EA for you. Sounds like you are to be move to it to keep your HD & locals. BTW the tech you had was ID 10 T certified as he doesn't know you are losing HD channels w/ your present set up. You can also do as mike said and have 4 sats if you can pickup 129. You need another tech out there.

Sorry for not including my location in the original thread. I'm about 30 miles north of Milwaukee, WI. Locals are never an issue with me, as my OTA antenna brings them all in at about 95 to 100% signal strength. So I guess what I hear you saying then is that I'll need to keep my ears open as to when exactly Dish may move my HD channels from 61.5 to 77. One other question...since the dish that I currently have pointing at 110 and 119 is one of the larger oval shaped units, would that one also be able to be positioned to pick up 129 as well (all three)?

Interesting...any idea where I can find a list of exactly which HD channels are on the 72.7 bird? I'd love to find out what I'm currently missing, if anything.

Sorry for not including my location in the original thread. I'm about 30 miles north of Milwaukee, WI. Locals are never an issue with me, as my OTA antenna brings them all in at about 95 to 100% signal strength. So I guess what I hear you saying then is that I'll need to keep my ears open as to when exactly Dish may move my HD channels from 61.5 to 77. One other question...since the dish that I currently have pointing at 110 and 119 is one of the larger oval shaped units, would that one also be able to be positioned to pick up 129 as well (all three)?

You need a different dish to get all 3 sats in the west(or the east for that matter). All your LOCAL channels (via sat) are on 61.5 so you don't want to move that dish. Now you need a good tech out there to see if he can find a good place to put you a new EA dish or will he have to see if he can hit all 3 WA sats & leave 61.5.

Got it. Thanks for all your help guys. If there's a link anywhere to a list of exactly what HD channels are on the 72.7 satellite, I'd be much obliged. Thanks again.

Thanks Darrell! That is exactly what I was looking for. Funny thing is, there are HD channels I'm getting now from 61.5 that show up as "Not available" on the 72.7 bird! None of this makes much sense to me, and I'm certainly not going to be in any big rush to have them point my dish toward a new sat. that won't have all the channels I'm currently getting. Time to sit back and enjoy what I have now until the snow is all off the roof and the leaves are filling the trees to see just exactly what my line of sight is (or isn't).

Dish is in the process of moving channels from 61.5. They usually test the uplink a while and then do the switch. They also have to wait on DIRECTV to surrender the transponders. So, it should eventually happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts