Is DishAnywhere really as bad as I read?

syphix

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
Minnesota, USA
Thinking about coming back to Dish as streaming isn’t really that much cheaper now for the channels we’d want, and my wife & live-in mother-in-law are comfortable with the traditional TV setups (we’re coming from DIRECTV). But my one worry is the reviews I read on the iOS and Android DishAnywhere apps. I’ve tried out YouTube TV and Hulu Live TV, and really like the portability of streaming. With my 100/100 mbps internet I have, I was hoping to stream on the go using the DishAnywhere app on my iPhone. But the reviews of it as of late are horrendous.

Is it really that bad??

Also (unrelated to my DA question), could Dish use my DTV mount for their install or would I have to get new holes screwed into my roof/house? Hoping to minimize the “damage”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DISH Anywhere was great... and then DISH was forced to change the technology as the old technology was no longer supported on many devices due to security upgrades. So DISH had to rewrite the entire DISH ANYwhere using new technology from the ground up (a total rewrite) and the people who wrote it before were no longer involved with the project.

With the new version when it came out it SUCKED... but with each new release it has gotten better and better. So much better now then when they were first forced to change it and start from scratch.

It now is almost back to what it was before... plus they added a bunch of new features as DISH has started offering more new things

Your 100 Mb connection will work fine. I believe for best quality it uses around 5 to 8 MBps. As I type this I am using it now while at my office. :)

It is still bad because it forces you to use Chrome and still a complete lack of support for one of the most popular browsers Firefox. Several months now and still they have yet to support anything but Chrome.
There is really no excuse for it at this point.
The app itself on android works fine but again, for computer use the lack of browser support is what would make me give it a 2 star out of 5 rating.

It is still bad because it forces you to use Chrome and still a complete lack of support for one of the most popular browsers Firefox. Several months now and still they have yet to support anything but Chrome.
The app itself on android works fine but again, for computer use the lack of browser support is what would make me give it a 2 star out of 5 rating.
DA also works on the open source Chromium based Microsoft Edge as well as several other derivative browsers.

Dish Anywhere is fantastic. I simply throw my tiny Fire TV stick into my bag and I have my entire DVR in any hotel room. it used to be not great but about a year ago they did something magical and the buffering issues went away.

I used to use the DA app at work, over lunch, until it stopped working. Haven’t tried in a while- watching YT now. I should try it again on my iPhone.

I used to use the DA app at work, over lunch, until it stopped working. Haven’t tried in a while- watching YT now. I should try it again on my iPhone.
As Scott wrote above, the new Dish Anywhere was really bad when it first came out, but I have to agree that it is much better now. Although the old version had some features that are missing in the new app, it is now functional and fairly reliable. Like you, I had abandoned Dish Anywhere, but now I am back to using it frequently.

Dish Anywhere on the Firestick works great. Dish Anywhere on the PC is now functional and reliable enough for me to use a lot.

Great news! Just waiting for another $$$ gift card promo to come in the mail (kids threw the last $400 one away!!) and I’ll be back with Dish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NYDutch
Itr works on MS Edge, too

Reactions: charlesrshell
then DISH was forced to change the technology as the old technology was no longer supported on many devices due to security upgrades.

This is no doubt why my Slng Adapter became useless. :( Probably somebody cracked the encryption and started recording Sling streams.

Used it to stream from work on Friday while on lunch from a place that has such crappy internet, the upload sometimes hardly registers on the Speedtest app but download is ~10 mbps. Worked just fine, no stuttering, pq was better than I anticipated. Skipped forward and back without a hitch. Also have 250mbps up/down internet at home.

Reactions: syphix
Used it to stream from work on Friday while on lunch from a place that has such crappy internet, the upload sometimes hardly registers on the Speedtest app but download is ~10 mbps. Worked just fine, no stuttering, pq was better than I anticipated. Skipped forward and back without a hitch. Also have 250mbps up/down internet at home.
It really helps to have good upload speed at home. My upload is 6 and I have no issues. My neighbor has upload of .6 and he buffers.

Reactions: TheKrell and syphix
This is no doubt why my Slng Adapter became useless. :( Probably somebody cracked the encryption and started recording Sling streams.
The old Sling version was based on Flash, which had serious security concerns, so serious that everyone has abandoned it, thus the Sling software was no longer supported by anyone and had to be replaced.

I actually forgot that they had that . I tried logging on awhile ago and it didn’t work and thought oh well. I personally don’t have any use for it but it was a nice option when I was away and something interesting .

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

It works good when I'm at the house, away not so much. Upload speed struggles to hit 1.5, if it were faster no doubt it would be better.

I think Dish Anywhere is a rip-off. It is advertised as free to watch live TV. BUT, I had to spend $50 to upgrade to a Hopper with Sling box and then they added another $5 a month to the “dvr service”. Or I couldn’t watch my local channels and most of my live regular television programming. So in all it is going to cost me an additional $170 over the 2yr contract to use the free app.

edit added. Plus only one person at a time can use the anywhere app. And the DW is always complaining about how much better the Spectrum cable app is.

I think Dish Anywhere is a rip-off. It is advertised as free to watch live TV. BUT, I had to spend $50 to upgrade to a Hopper with Sling box and then they added another $5 a month to the “dvr service”. Or I couldn’t watch my local channels and most of my live regular television programming. So in all it is going to cost me an additional $170 over the 2yr contract to use the free app.

edit added. Plus only one person at a time can use the anywhere app. And the DW is always complaining about how much better the Spectrum cable app is.
Maybe you should go back to Spectrum then. Truth is, if you're staying with Dish and you want to record, you're going to eventually end up with a Hopper. The Hopper is the focal point, not the online streaming app. The App is the accessory, so no, you're not paying extra to have the app.

Reactions: Poorsha and NYDutch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)