Is DTV taking off one of my local channels?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

User_Name

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 18, 2005
I want to see what channels licenses are about to expire. I was watching fox (wtte-tv local channel) and I caught the tail end of something going accross my screen saying that they might not be carrying this cannel any more. I hope not becuase they already took away trio ( even thought I really never watched trio only reruns of David Lettermen). DTV seems to walk around it when I ask them if I'll be losing this channel.

Yeah I called and was on hold for 1/2 hour and they told me they can't talk about what channels they will or won't have at the end of the month. I don't know. I'm going to watch That 70's show tonight and see if I see it again.

the message you saw was for DISH subs not DIRECTV sub I saw it too some of the locals are airing that no mater what you have E*,D* ECT...

Thanks. I caught the end of it and didn't see where is said Dish. I'm glad it's not for DTV.

DBS providers can't legally talk about specifics of ongoing contract discussions nor would they do so with a subscriber anyway.

99 times out of 100, if your affiliate is running that message it is because they, or their parent company, (which may have many affiliates nationally) is in contract negotiations with your provider and for whatever reason the two sides are not in agreement on a new contract and the current deadline is close to expiration. You guys seem to assume the biz of affiliate retransmission is easy when its not. Call your affiliate or their parent company and complain to them, it is just as much their issue as it is of the DBS provider anyway.

As far as Trio goes, NBC Universal (right after their merger) said they were going to eliminate Trio or reconfigure it with another concept and one can assume that the providers are just dropping it now as opposed to waiting. Maybe you should call NBC Universal and ask them.

charper1 said:
DBS providers can't legally talk about specifics of ongoing contract discussions nor would they do so with a subscriber anyway.

99 times out of 100, if your affiliate is running that message it is because they, or their parent company, (which may have many affiliates nationally) is in contract negotiations with your provider and for whatever reason the two sides are not in agreement on a new contract and the current deadline is close to expiration. You guys seem to assume the biz of affiliate retransmission is easy when its not. Call your affiliate or their parent company and complain to them, it is just as much their issue as it is of the DBS provider anyway.

As far as Trio goes, NBC Universal (right after their merger) said they were going to eliminate Trio or reconfigure it with another concept and one can assume that the providers are just dropping it now as opposed to waiting. Maybe you should call NBC Universal and ask them.
D* has a contract with said company it is Dish that does not (for now)

I got that but was just supplying the info that they can't lay all the blame on the person they send the subscription checks to.

I blame DTV for not warning people about stuff like this. I blame DTV for not answering questions about this kind of stuff. I pay money for the service of these channels and I expect to keep have them. Simply as that. If DTV don't do everything in their power to keep the channels on my TV then I will blame them.

So if your affiliate wants $50,000 a day from DirecTV to maintain retranmission rights, you expect DirecTV to cave-in to keep you happy while the rest of their subs have to subsidize that exorbitant cost? Pure crazy and a lack of knowing what is really going on behind the scenes. Do you REALLY think DirecTV wants you to lose your channel? Do you really think they want you to NOT KNOW? Did aliens really land or crash in Roswell? It's not a conspiracy, they have reasons why they don't and can't tell you some things.

This is generally what the contract issue is between DBS and the affiliate, they want more than their "fair market value" for their service. They then hold the DBS company hostage knowing that there will be people that blindly come down on the DBS company and not the affiliate. The affiliates have known from day one that the DBS companies DO NOT discuss contract issues with their subs; this is why you seem to get no answer or the "run-around".

The affiliate uses this market trick to pressure the DBS companies to pay too much. So can we all thank you for helping keep all of our bills a bit higher when they over-pay to resign your affilate?

This is such misplaced anger you have for your provider; just put up an OTA antenna or get cable, which your affiliate prefers since they are in cahoots with them.

I'm paying for the local channels, I want the local channels I'm paying for. I'm not paying for some half butt service. But DTV isn't removing WTTE so it's not a bother to me and they person I just talked to said they won't remove any local channels. So we can sqwash this. :)

No I talked to a person that let me speak to mtheir super and she told me that the local channels are safe for a while.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts