Is ESPN and ESPN2 going MPEG 4????

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HD#1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Los Angeles
While looking through the guide I noticed that it does not say virtual next ESPN and ESPN 2 anymore these are for channel 206 and 209 so is D* finally starting to convert these channels? All other legacy HD channels still say virtual next to them.

I didn't think they were changing these to later this year, after D11 is operational.

I would love to see all MPEG4 now!!!!!

all of the legacy channels have been remapped in anticipation of them eventually converting to mpeg4. but agree it probably won't happen until after directv 11 is operational in a month or two.

Actually I don't think ESPN and ESPN2 look that bad at all. Are they actually downrezzed at all? They are 720p after all.

Actually I don't think ESPN and ESPN2 look that bad at all. Are they actually downrezzed at all? They are 720p after all.
I dont think they look BAD, I simply dont think they are on the level with the MPEG 4 sports channels. YES, NESN TBS (for sports), ect. Whether this is the compression method or the cameras or some other factor I dont know. I am going with the compression method simply because the MPEG 4 version of ESPN news is so sharp compared to ESPN and 2

what are the chances that sd also goes mpeg4? wouldn't this help a lot with bandwidth issues plus improve sd quality?

what are the chances that sd also goes mpeg4? wouldn't this help a lot with bandwidth issues plus improve sd quality?

Have not heard it yet with Direct, but you are right, it should help with pq and bandwidth a lot.

Dish will be going MPEG4 sd and hd soon. I would really like to get a look at MPEG4 sd.

Does that means when ESPN2 HD goes to MPEG4 it will be transmitted from a different satellite?
Currently I can not get ESPN2 HD because I don have signal on sat. 119.

Eventually, All HD will be off the 99/101/103 location. 110/119 will be changed to SD locals and internationals.

I think this is still 1 year or so away from starting. DirecTV has worked to move some DNS services and sports packags (MLB & NFL) to the new satellite and upgraded those customers to the new equipment. To change the rest of the channels, they have to upgrade all remaining customers to the new HD equipment.

We are talking more than 100k, less than 500k, but my estimate of upgrades that must happen first. DirecTV has said on investor calls they are not in a hurry on this, the longer they wait, the less it costs them (HD hardware manufacturing has been dropping in costs steadily)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts