Is HD Absolute worth it w/ a $6 access fee & $9.99 locals?

Is HD Absolute worth it now if it will cost $16 more per month?

• Yes, because you still get alot of extras and don't need to sub to the top package.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • No! I can do better if it's going to cost me $16 more vs. another package.

Votes: 12 52.2%

• Total voters

getstuff4less

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
CA
Hello,

Apparently some Absolute subs are seeing a $6 access fee. I don't see the fee, but if I call in apparently they are now charging $9.99 for the locals even though it doesn't show on my online bill.

It seems to me that this is the nail in Absolute's coffin. Considering one get's free locals and no access fee on another package.

Opinions?

Last edited:
It seems to me that this is the nail in Absolute's coffin. Considering one get's free locals and no access fee on another package.
Nail in the coffin ? If these fees/rates hold, you've still got HD Absolute, do you not ?

And besides, so far it's not appeared on anyone's actual bill yet.

Well, honestly, if these fees have not appeared on your bill, then I would stay with the package.

If the fees did appear on my bill, then I would compare the package with the fees to other package offerings to see if there was a better deal. However, I would also take into account the channels in each package.

Like I said. It doesn't show online, but if I call in and ask for charges they say I'm being charged $9.99 for locals.

The fee is supposed to be added to accounts that don't subscribe to a "basic" package, i.e. AT120, AEP, etc, etc. I contacted Dish about this and was told
We apologize for the confusion. There will be no $6 access fee on the account as the DishHD Absolute is considered as a basic package.
I didn't ask about the $9.99 locals because they're not charging me that. My account shows "DishHD Absolute w/ locals" for $29.99.

So does mine...
I'm doing a online chat. I will post/edit what I see vs. what I'm told.

Service Date(s) Detailed Activity
Previous Balance $ 44.50
Monthly Charges
Oct 10 - Nov 09 HBO & SHO 24.00
DishHD Absolute w/Locals 34.99
DishHD Absolute w/Locals -15.00
DVR Service 6.00
Dish Network DVR Service -6.00
Service Plan (15/25) 6.00
HD Solo Receiver 7.00
HD Duo (2TV) DVR Receiver 17.00
$ 73.99
Other Charges and Credits
Sep 20 Hbo/show Credit 3 of 3 -24.00
Taxes
Sep 25 State/Local Tax (Sales) -2.18
Total Due by Oct 15, 2010 $ 92.31
vs.

Please wait while we find a representative to assist you...
Welcome to DISH Network Chat.
(03) MK Jean C.V2G: How may I help you?
Customer: Hello, can you run down the charges on my bill please?
Customer: I want to see if they are the same ones I see
(03) MK Jean C.V2G: I'd be happy to assist you with your request.
(03) MK Jean C.V2G: Please give me just 1-2 minutes while I check on that for you.
Customer: OK
(03) MK Jean C.V2G: Thank you.
(03) MK Jean C.V2G: To ensure I have the correct account pulled up, will you please verify your last four digits of Social Security Number?
Customer: XXXX
(03) MK Jean C.V2G: dishHD Absolute $29.99, DVR Service $6.00, HD Duo (2TV) DVR Receiver $17.00, HD Solo Receiver $7.00, Locals $9.99 total of $69.98.
Customer: I see. I got to go, but thanks.
(03) MK Jean C.V2G: You're welcome.
(03) MK Jean C.V2G: Is there anything else that I can assist you with?
Customer: No thanks.
(03) MK Jean C.V2G: Thank you for chatting with Dish Network, have a wonderful day!
Thank you for visiting Dish Network. You may now close this window.
Your session has ended. You may now close this window.
I just edited my name and removed SSN.

I'll respond to the poll if and when any actual changes in my bill occurs. It's too early right now. :)
Me too.:up

FWIW the Dish website lists a $6 "access fee" on my account. BUT the PDF* of my most recent bill (Oct 5th) does NOT include ANY new fees or charges. So despite all of the hand wringing of late, I'm still getting HD absolute w/locals and Cinemax* for UNDER $40/mo. :) Of course, with Dish that could change in a New York second. So I'll keep an eye on the Dish and SatGuys sites to keep informed of any REAL changes. Until then I'll continue to enjoy the best value in paid TV :)

Talon Dancer

* I only get the pdf because I'm on AutoPay for the Cinemax 1 penny deal.

My 09/20/10 PDF statement did not show a $6 Access Fee, but I do see it on the E* website under my account. Guess I'll have to wait to check out my 10/20 PDF to see if what the deal is with this. My account doesn't show anything about $9.99 locals.

I never said it showed on this bill. It may show on the next bill. I wish someone would just do what I did to confirm what I'm saying.

I never said it showed on this bill. It may show on the next bill. I wish someone would just do what I did to confirm what I'm saying.
Dish has a history of not providing accurate/consistent information to its customers or its own CSRs. As a result, Dish CSR's are just as clueless as the Dish Web Site, particularly when it comes to changes in policy, pricing, packaging, etc.. So IMO chatting with a CSR about this issue prior to receiving a real bill (hard copy or pdf) which charges me an "access fee" or extra $ for "locals" isn't very useful. IOW I'm not going to get riled up about possible changes to my Absolute subscription until something actually happens.

Talon Dancer

Dish has a history of not providing accurate/consistent information to its customers or its own CSRs. As a result, Dish CSR's are just as clueless as the Dish Web Site, particularly when it comes to changes in policy, pricing, packaging, etc.. So IMO chatting with a CSR about this issue prior to receiving a real bill (hard copy or pdf) which charges me an "access fee" or extra $ for "locals" isn't very useful. IOW I'm not going to get riled up about possible changes to my Absolute subscription until something actually happens.

Talon Dancer

I know what you are saying. However, that usually means one person getting various answers. If everyone with Absolute gets the same answer that's different IMHO (different subs/CSRs).

I guess those that just want to ignore an upcoming change just because it isn't on paper yet is OK with me. I was just passing along the info given to me.

I don't think it's that we are ignoring. It's just thst Dish's site is notoriously flawed, and always has been. Our prices may very well go up, and if true, we'll cross that bridge at the appointed time. On my acct page, it shows a 9.99 increase, and if true, it's still a good price for what I receive. :)

...On my acct page, it shows a 9.99 increase,....
And on my account page, it shows an additional $6 "access fee" but no mention of a $9.99 increase for locals. What's more, my HD Absolute WITH locals is shown as only $29.99. IOW the web site account information for many of us w/ HD Absolute is completely whacked, showing different values for: HD Absolute w/ locals, "locals" and 'access fee'. This is why I don't think it is time to get concerned yet.

OTOH apparently some subs have been paying $34.99 and others $29.99 for "HD Absolute w/ locals" for awhile now. So with Dish inconsistency in billing is consistent :rolleyes:

Talon Dancer

p.s. a $6 "access fee" was shown on my account page BEFORE I received notice that my current bill (without the access fee) was available for viewing. IOW the predicted amount for my current bill (Oct 5th) was $6 HIGHER than it actually was.

Monthly Charges
DISHHD ABSOLUTE W/LOCALS...$29.99
HD Solo Receiver......................$7.00
DVR Service............................$6.00
Access Fee..............................$6.00
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .................
Total.....................................$62.99 (excludes taxes / credits)

This is what my Monthly Charges show on the Dish website.

My last bill which is for 10/13/10 to 11/12/10 does not show the $6.00 Access Fee.

It is my estimable but uninformed opinion that the $9.99 locals charge is a mistake.

You asked the wrong question on the chat.

You did not question the $9.99 charge, you only asked her to confirm what you saw.

You both may be looking at the same incorrect charges.

OTOH apparently some subs have been paying $34.99 and others $29.99 for "HD Absolute w/ locals" for awhile now. So with Dish inconsistency in billing is consistent
That's when many of us on HD Absolute actually got a price-drop !! They used to charge me for locals, 29.99 + 5.00, but no longer do.

Monthly Charges
DISHHD ABSOLUTE W/LOCALS...$29.99
DVR Service............................$6.00
Access Fee..............................$6.00
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .................
Total.....................................$62.99 (excludes taxes / credits)

This is what my Monthly Charges show on the Dish website.

My last bill which is for 10/13/10 to 11/12/10 does not show the $6.00 Access Fee.

It is my estimable but uninformed opinion that the $9.99 locals charge is a mistake.

You asked the wrong question on the chat.

You did not question the $9.99 charge, you only asked her to confirm what you saw.

You both may be looking at the same incorrect charges.

Thank you,

What is the underlined access fee then? I will ask tonight or tomorrow just in case. I mean they dropped my package price, but added the local charge. BTW: I posted my statement before.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts