Is hopper 3 better/faster than the joey2.0 hooked up to it?

Riker

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Just wondering if the UI is better on the hopper 3 or joey 2.0 in terms of speed etc? I'm thinking of moving the hopper 3 from the family room to my theater room's rack cause it will fit better in the rack unless its not as good.

Oh for sure, the H3 is much faster and smoother. The UI's are the same but there are things on the Joey that will tell you that you can only do these on the H3. But once you select and start playback or a show, I can see no difference in PQ. The Joey tends to jerk a little when you page down in guides, and it takes some time to get the recordings, PTAT, etc when you press the remote button. But it's not like 3 seconds, it's like 1 second a little slower on the UI response time.

That's what I thought. Any idea on 4K Joey vs the Joey 2.0?
Thanks also for the info

I have the Joey 4K, Joey 2.0 and Hopper 3.0
Joey 4K is just as fast as the Hopper 3.0
Reports are the CPU in the Joey 4K is 7 times faster than an old Hopper with Sling, well worth the extra $50 plus some day it can do PIP and is future proof with 4k support.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I've had HWS with the CarbonUI and the Joey 1.0 on Carbon as well and just recently got H3/4K Joey/Joey2.0. Here is what I see for order of speed.

1: Hopper 3 - Without a doubt is blazingly fast.
2: 4K Joey - Might be very slightly slower than H3, but nothing you would notice.
3: Hopper W/Sling - Noticeably slower than the 4K Joey. Not unbearable, but definitely slower.
4: Joey 2.0 - Might be slightly slower than the Hopper W/Sling. It is usable and the kids don't notice. I might even say it ties the HWS.
5: Joey 1.0 - Quite a bit slower than the Joey 2.0. You will notice a lag when bringing up the guide and scrolling through it. It is usable, but barely.

This is just my opinion, but I would definitely go for the H3 with 4K Joeys all around. I haven't seen the wireless Joey's performance, so I really can't say where it fits in the list.

Upgraded to 4k joey. Might go back. The 40.0 remote (why it did not come with the 52.0 I have no idea) doesn't work as well as it does on the joey 2.0. Maybe its the unit and not remote but its range sucks so any quickness in the 4k newer unit is irrelevant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)