Is is possible to have 2 sets of locals

danb

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
I was a "mover" who has since "moved" back to my original service address. Problem is they never switched my locals back. Actually it's not much of a problem, as the only reason for going back to actual address was because of a receiver upgrade and tech had to come out to the house. On the Dish website I get the option of adding my real locals for 5.99. Would that automatically cancel out the locals I'm currently receiving or would I get two sets. I'm currently in a DDA Turbo HD package. Not sure if any of you guys have experience with this. Let me know if you do.

Occasionally, but rarely, the csr will forget to delete access to the locals in the old address, but don't count on it.

I was a "mover" who has since "moved" back to my original service address. Problem is they never switched my locals back.

Same thing happened to me which is alright since I can still view my hometown locals OTA- minus the programming guide. The "locals" I moved to have much more to offer including a CW station in HD which isn't even offered in my home market. I get the best of both worlds.

Yes, if they forget to delete the locals from your account when you move, they stay on there. I know someone with locals from 2 neighboring DMAs, and also get their real locals OTA for a total of 3 DMAs.

Federal regulations prevent E* from providing locals from other than a subscriber's home DMA. The only people getting locals from more than one DMA via satellite (and not OTA) are people that had CSRs make mistakes in their programming.

This has happened to me a couple times after un-moving, but in both instances my actual OTA locals displayed only "Digital Programming" in the guide...no guide data. This happened most recently a couple months ago when I moved from Denver back to my actual address in Indianapolis so I could add another HD DVR.

While it was annoying to not have guide data for my locals, at least my DVR time was correct again (Indiana is 2 hours ahead of Colorado). My wife would always roll her eyes when I would explain to her that the time zone on our DVR has changed again. I wonder if the time zone conflict is the reason for the lack of guide data...

Congress is considering allowing people to get locals from an adjacent DMA. Charlie talked about it on the Charlie Chat. If it gets in a bill before Congress, be sure to call your Congressman and let him know that you favor the bill. Dish will run lots of adds to let you know the bill number and who to write or call when the time comes.

getting 2 dma's + ota

i, too, am doing this and assume it is a csr mistake. i've basically had 3 sets of hd locals now for about 4 months.

i'm wondering if i change my programming online or call and order another receiver if they'll magically disappear???

fingers crossed....

I had two sets of locals for a while. I "moved" to Denver to get HD locals, but the csr never removed Indy locals. So I had both for a year or so. Then, recently, Denver went spotbeam, so I called them to remove Denver from my package. It was no big deal; actually, they apologized for the "inconvenience." I didn't have the heart to tell them they did me a big favor. :)

For those of you who have 2 sets of locals, have you been able to get both sets to 'mapdown' their channel numbers? Or does only one set mapdown and the other stay in the high four-digit number?

I'm from Los Angeles and living in Phoenix. I would love to have the Phoenix and LA locals mostly because of local news and events.

Last edited:
I only get one set of mapdowns, for the address most recently added (moved to). All the locals appear in the 4-digit ranges though. I have run into the problem though where my RSNs only appear on one of my receivers, a Vip222. They do not show on my other receiver which is a Vip622 and I'm afraid if I call into Tech Support for a programming push it may affect the regular locals.

I'm from Los Angeles and living in Phoenix. I would love to have the Phoenix and LA locals mostly because of network news and events.

With locals now being mostly spotbeamed instead of on ConUS beams, your ability to get distant DMAs is very limited. Basically there are some on 77W and 118.7W and that's about it. Indy was placed on a ConUS beam this PM but I have a feeling it won't stay there forever. I also expect the 118.7 markets to get moved in the future as well. Right now Phoenix is on 110 and LA is on 129. I have no idea whether you are in both spotbeams or not. Both the 110 and 129 beams are somewhat narrow so I would think not. Here's the SB map for the LA spot beam:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/database/Subscription/images/CIEL2_SB33.jpg

For those of you who have 2 sets of locals, have you been able to get both sets to 'mapdown' their channel numbers? Or does only one set mapdown and the other stay in the high four-digit number?

There are no overlapping of channel numbers, mapping does not block anything so all channels can be displayed with no problems at the map down location.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts