Is it finally safe to Upgrade to the H3 / Joey 2 from VIP722K's?

mkerdman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
I have (4) VIP722's that simply work as intended without issues.

But Dish charges a lot for the old DVR's and the Hopper 3 promises a lot of updated functionality.

Is the Hopper 3 / Joey 2 Hardware and Software mature and stable enough to finally make the changeover without issues?

Thanks in advance.

I have read here of so many reboot and other issues with the fast evolving H3 Software that I have reservations about making the switchover.

My VIP722K's are dinosaurs, but they are dinosaurs that work everyday just as intended.

Reactions: harshness
I came from an even older ViP622 that worked for 9 years. When the component video output finally died (the HDMI output had broken years ago) I had to upgrade. Yes, the H3 does have bugs but what Dish receiver doesn't? Many of the ViP series problems were solved with an occasional reboot. That works with the H3 too. The difference is the H3 doesn't need to automatically reboot every night too. The biggest problem with my H3 was it not seeing my EHD but that was solved with the latest software update (U336).

Is there any lag on Remote Presses for Skip 30 Sec., Back 10 Sec. or Pause from either the H3 or the Joey 2?

joey 2 has a tic of lag,

i went from a 722k 612, 211 setup a week or 2 ago, very happy so far with the hopper 3 and 2 joey 2.
plus picture quality seems better than the 722k,

I have read here of so many reboot and other issues with the fast evolving H3 Software that I have reservations about making the switchover.

My VIP722K's are dinosaurs, but they are dinosaurs that work everyday just as intended.
My H3 and Joeys have worked flawlessly for three months.

It's been safe to upgrade to an H3 since day one in my opinion, and it has only gotten better.

With more complexity come more potential for bugs, but if you stick with what a VIP does, the issues are very few and far between. The benefits far outweigh any problems. Unless you are the type where any new quirk or glitch gets under your skin, you should be happy with the H3.

Don't let the FUD of some bug reports stop you. Folks come here when they have a problem, sometimes legitimately for support, sometimes just to bitch. It's the nature of any forum.

How many reports have you seen the poster say they wish they had stayed with the VIP/H1/HWS?

It's been safe to upgrade to an H3 since day one in my opinion, and it has only gotten better.

With more complexity come more potential for bugs, but if you stick with what a VIP does, the issues are very few and far between. The benefits far outweigh any problems. Unless you are the type where any new quirk or glitch gets under your skin, you should be happy with the H3.

Don't let the FUD of some bug reports stop you. Folks come here when they have a problem, sometimes legitimately for support, sometimes just to bitch. It's the nature of any forum.

How many reports have you seen the poster say they wish they had stayed with the VIP/H1/HWS?

I go back with DIsh to the days of the DISH 5000 Modulator to get HD, and then progressed through the Dish 921 and so on but stopped at the VIP722K because it has been like an appliance that just worked. No missed Recording Timers, Random Reboots, etc.

But the promise of the 21st Century functionality of the Hopper 3 is a powerful draw.

You are right about FUD and that people post their problems much more than their enjoyment.

I just don't want to regret migrating from a working installation to a newer feature rich platform rife with (not so early) adopter adventures.

The reboots are from Members forcing that Software update from the Tools menu in the Hopper settings.
Scott warned everyone to avoid U336.

While it fixed people EHD issues, it caused a number of other bugs.
Many are reported here.

Let the Hopper download its on software and You will more than likely have no real issues.

You'll wonder why you didn't get a Hopper in 2012.

The reboots are from Members forcing that Software update from the Tools menu in the Hopper settings.
Scott warned everyone to avoid U336.

While it fixed people EHD issues, it caused a number of other bugs.
Many are reported here.

Let the Hopper download its on software and You will more than likely have no real issues.

You'll wonder why you didn't get a Hopper in 2012.

Are there lingering EHD issues?

I've had my Hopper 3 since they came out, and no reboots here. It has worked better than any other piece of DirecTv or DISH equipment that I have had.
I can't comment on the EHD issue as I don't use an EHD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)