Is it just me?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hehdaddy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2004
I am a fairly new Dish customer and I joined this forum to keep up on what's going on. Is it just me or does it seem like this forum is mostly negative? It gets kinda depressing actually. Does Dish really stink that bad?

It's a little ironic. I am writing a post that is negative about negativity.. :)

Well it is hard to write positive stuff all the time...

New Post 1: Can still see satellite TV

New Post 1239173912873: satellite picture still coming in

Essentially only if problems crop up people do research and post about them. This makes the site look negative. It is kind of like the news, they do not report that life is going on like normal for 99.999% of the people.

There are some legitimate complaints concerning Dish,its service,equipment,& installation. There are also people who can never be satisfied & like to gripe. Take it for what it is ,a discussion forum. :)

You guys are right. I will just take another Valium and chill.. I just wish we could get some really good juicy Dish news. Something big, something awesome.. All we get is Charlie... Chatting.. Ugh. See I can be negative too. :)

People tend to come here when they have problems rather than when its just the opposite. It is just like the news you see on tv, most of the news is bad news.

Stargazer said:
People tend to come here when they have problems rather than when its just the opposite. It is just like the news you see on tv, most of the news is bad news.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
The good thing is, boards like these help people with some issues in a way a phone based tech support can't - even with non DN/DTV issues.
We have people from DN here, people who have been installing for years, people like PSB and Tom and countless other members who know what they're talking about and always seem ready to give great advice.

I love this place.

I can not agree any more with Stargazer. This place really enhanced my knowledge about Dish as well as other valuable information. Besides, it also gave me a chance to "vent" my frustration in time :)

Love this place.

Agreed. The internet is full of complaints. Most of us here have their Dish Network working just fine and just like to check in on whats new.

In some respects the forums act as a "Watch Dog" clearing house for the DBS companies. You know, the squeaky wheel thing. If it was all positive with nothing but back patting going on it would be a worthless place. You can find forums of this type, usually hosted by companies themselves, where censorship runs rampant and everything feels like a circle-jerk... not that I know what that feels like.

Agree

I agree, I am very happy with my Dish. I have a couple problems I can live with because the HD and other features out weight the problems. Thanks to all for the help with some issues I have posted.

Thanks

News Flash!

Last night I turned on my TV and found that my Dish service was up and running. I checked my 522 to see if a program timer I set to record the X-Files worked and it did! I was able to watch the entire show without a glich. Wooooo Hooooo!!!

Other good news:
Program grid had 8 days worth of information.
No rain fade.
My Bill was for the correct amount.
My UHF remote works correctly.
I figured out how to create a favorites list.
Didn't have to re-boot this morning.

Bad News:
I still haven't won the HDTV giveaway -- Dish Sucks!

No compaints here,we have a DVR-508 and Dishplayer
7200,both work great and always have.This is our 3'rd Dishplayer,18 months old,referbished,and no problems.Just good news,plus,listening to great
Sirius music and reading the forum,can't get better, except,to win the HTIB HD from Dish or Sat.
Guys.

I think of this and other web boards like Alcoholics Anonomous. Hi my name is Mike and I am a Dish customer. ( the crowd in unision) ; HI MIKE!!!

Seriously though this place gives us a place to share our concerns bugs, gripes, good experiences, new receiver ideas ,etc. We also provide a valuable service for the dish techs who read these messages. They often will take our suggestions and incorporate them into new promos that Dish runs.

They will take our bug reports and sometimes try to write software to correct the bugs. They do read these boards and it does make a difference to them and to the readers like me and you who learn from each other about all things concerning Dish.

I don't feel I am up to speed on what is going on till I check in to this and other web boards each morning ,noon and night. But I am a little obsessed. And for the record I love Dishnetwork and hope my messages on this board help to improve the receivers, promos, and customer practices that Dishnetwork follows.

Sorry if it all looks negative but if you really want to see a board with very little postings check out the Directv posts . They must be estatic bunch of customers because they hardly ever complain. Maybe Dishnetwork ought to read that board and see how the other side lives. :p

There are a few that seem to harbor a pathological hatred for E* (Dish Network = E* which is shorthand for Echostar the parent company.... I'll save you from looking it up elsewhere.... D* = DirectTV V* = Voom)

To get you up to speed, if you like E* you're an E* pom pom waver, and if you don't .... well, just imagine that you are a casual fan who just brought up the Yankees in a pub filled with Red Sox fans. You get the idea..... they REALLY hate E*. E* deserves part of the rep for some of their receivers which aren't as polished and are more bug prone than their D* counterparts. Also, D* will pay whatever it takes to keep NFL Sunday Ticket, while E* would rather go to war to keep prices down.

Meanwhile, the E* haters were silent when they added 60 (soon to be 65 Sirius music channels -- look in the 6000 channel range if you haven't noticed yet) after lording over us for years how "their" music choice was better than the Muzak E* had (which it was).

Bottom line........ good prices, fanatical about keeping price increases down to a fault (he's cut channels for a time to play hardball), buggy receivers, and an annoying lack of commitment to increasing HD Channels beyond what they have (although they did recently add TNT HD and are actively campaigning for national HD Broadcast feeds). Also a few extra movie channels that D* doesn't have (especially Showtime Beyond which I like... a lot of SciFi movies) Also, less compression on HD channels by some anecdotal reports.

D* has the advantage of the NFL Network and out of network football. They also have Tivo brand receivers that just work without any headaches (except for that slow electronic program guide scroll which would drive me to drink). Their freeview programs are actually useful, and they are seen as making some big moves soon as Rupert Murdoch recently took the company over and would love to get back at Charlie his old nemesis who bested him twice before (once in a lawsuit that netted him cheap Fox programming for years as compensation and once when he outbid Rupe for D*, but the Feds eventually shut down the takeover bid after they found out that one satellite company was inherently bad)

Take the negative with a grain of salt and read between te lines for the useful nuggets. Also, don't forget to come here for the IM chats during the Charlie Chats... they are MUCH more entertaining than the chats are straight up........

LER said:
And some of us like to help others and answer other questions.

Welcome, and enjoy :)

LER is right, there a lot of very knowledgeable people on this forum such as Gary, Simon and many others. I would go as far to say that if they couldn't answer your question that it was probably unanswerable. Enjoy the forums.

Bob

For everything that one can find fault with the satellite companies there is probably one or more things they can find that is good with them, but that does not mean that you will see as many good things being posted. I believe it is due to the fact that people do want to vent and have something done about the problems and it helps to talk about it. People try to figure it out while we take for granted what is already right. Some things should have never went wrong in the first place especially for an extended period of time when something could have been done about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts