Is it legal to sell Used Dish receivers on Ebay

bobj2004

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 9, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems like a read you could not sell it with the Smart card, or was thay only Direct TVs policy?

I notice some wont sell to someone in Canada. Is that Illegal or do they just dont want to pay the extra shipping?

bobj2004 said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems like a read you could not sell it with the Smart card, or was thay only Direct TVs policy?

I notice some wont sell to someone in Canada. Is that Illegal or do they just dont want to pay the extra shipping?

If you bought the receiver out right, it is yours to sell to whomever. SmartCard needs to be included in sale. Dish may decide to replace the card for the new owner.

HOWEVER, if you got receiver(s) for "free" or reduced cost as a promotion or Digital Home Plan (DHP), then they may NOT actually be yours to sell. Call Dish. You could get charged upto $300 for selling something that is really Dish's.

Ex: I got a 921. I sold my 6000 that I bought outright on Ebay. I had to return the 301 to Dish that was part of a DHP plan/promotion.

you paid for it, its yours, you may sell any satellite reciever to who ever you want as long as you own it and your not renting it.

Tahoerob said:
HOWEVER, if you got receiver(s) for "free" or reduced cost as a promotion or Digital Home Plan (DHP), then they may NOT actually be yours to sell. Call Dish. You could get charged upto $300 for selling something that is really Dish's.

If he got the equipment for "free" as part of a promo, it is his to sell, burn, or do a jig on top of. (As long as it's not part of DHP, DHA or other lease plan.)

However, if he is still within the commitment period, he will be responsible for an early termination fee, usually $240. It is not a charge for selling something that is not his. It is a charge for cancelling service before the agreed upon term has expired.

Personally, if I had only a few months left, I would reduce the subscription to the minumum AT60 at $25/mo; deactivate all but the most basic receiver; sell all of the equipment, except that one receiver; and sell that receiver once I cancelled completely at the end of the commitment.

That way, if there were 4 months left, he'd only be paying $100, instead of $240. The money from selling the gear will easily pay for that.

If I only have 4 more months for my commitment plan of $30/months, Dish should give me an option to pay in full term (4*30=$120) and then cancel it. A flat $240 charge doesn't make sense in this case.

rjad said:
If I only have 4 more months for my commitment plan of $30/months, Dish should give me an option to pay in full term (4*30=$120) and then cancel it. A flat $240 charge doesn't make sense in this case.

You do have that option. Instead of cancelling, just pay the $30 a month. No one said that you had to actually had to be watching the programming. When your comittment is up, simply cancel then. In the mean time, you could be watching some other provider's programming.

But then nobody else can activate his receivers until the original contract period expires... I'm pretty sure that is what his concern was.

snathanb said:
But then nobody else can activate his receivers until the original contract period expires... I'm pretty sure that is what his concern was.

So four months down the road he puts his equipment up for sale. Yeah, it might be nice to sell it now, but four months is not a long time. In the mean time, if he gets a good deal going with D* or V*, he can get started without losing the window of opportunity.

snathanb said:

Wrong. He has all the receivers, except for the most basic, cheapest model, deactivated. He can sell everything, except the one that's still active, including his dish(es), lnb's, switches, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts