Is it me, or has Dish's PQ gotten markedly worse in the past few weeks?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tspangle

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Title says it all. I've noticed what seems like a lot more compression artifacting lately, especially on channels like TNT, LIfetime, and FX. Mostly macro blocking. I know Dish uses a good amount of compression, always has, but my perception is that it's getting worse lately. Of course, perception can be very deceiving, so I want to know if anyone else has noticed a difference.

Reactions: reddice
OK, fair enough. Maybe I've been watching too much streaming stuff lately, so I'm noticing the contrast more.

streaming picture quality is definitely better than dish..That shows you how bad the quality really is on Dish. To me satellite delivered should be the best quality but quantity is not better than quality. just my 2 cents. I haven't noticed any difference on my Hopper but Directv is much better picture quality.

streaming picture quality is definitely better than dish..That shows you how bad the quality really is on Dish. To me satellite delivered should be the best quality but quantity is not better than quality. just my 2 cents. I haven't noticed any difference on my Hopper but Directv is much better picture quality.

Some HD channels look a little better on DirecTV and some HD channels look a little better on DISH, overall it's pretty much a tie. SD on the other hand is much better on Dish.

Reactions: charlesrshell
OK, fair enough. Maybe I've been watching too much streaming stuff lately, so I'm noticing the contrast more.

Couple of things come to mind. Just because it doesn't appear to be a DISH signal problem doesn't mean you are not seeing problems it could be something on your end.
I have settings for the DISH input on my TV somewhat different than for my FireTV stick, and different for watching OTA directly from the TV, and a little different than for my TIVO. When I set up my Daughter's Hopper at her house I had to bring my TV there because she had not quite moved into yet and she had no TV. I had to change the settings on my TV because even going from a VIP receiver to the Hopper needed different settings. (BTW I judged the Hopper PQ a little better than my VIP receiver)

Moral of that story is don't be afraid to have different settings to make each source look good.

Wish there was a way to measure the picture quality as in a scientific way measuring pixels, bandwidth, data downloading or storing,
Anything
This debate has been going on for years on which is better and even which channels and SD is better.
No one has proven it one way or the other.
Always open to ideas on how

Wish there was a way to measure the picture quality as in a scientific way measuring pixels, bandwidth, data downloading or storing,
Anything
This debate has been going on for years on which is better and even which channels and SD is better.
No one has proven it one way or the other.
Always open to ideas on how
No need for such things. DISH is the best! :poke

Reactions: JSheridan
Shouldn't folks post if they are eastern or western arc when starting threads like this since it is two different DBS setups?

Reactions: ncted
Shouldn't folks post if they are eastern or western arc when starting threads like this since it is two different DBS setups?

If both arc's are working as they are supposed to there is no perceptible difference in PQ I can see. I have both now in two different locations and at one time both at the same house. So one person posting about a possible problem probably would make no difference to what ARC. If a few are posting however sure then it might be helpful what ARC they are on.

If both arc's are working as they are supposed to there is no perceptible difference in PQ I can see. I have both now in two different locations and at one time both at the same house. So one person posting about a possible problem probably would make no difference to what ARC. If a few are posting however sure then it might be helpful what ARC they are on.

I kind of thought that was his point. We've seen issues in the past that where a problem was only evident on one ARC. If the person posting the problem tells us which ARC they are on, then someone else on that ARC can confirm whether it is a problem with the ARC or not.

I kind of thought that was his point. We've seen issues in the past that where a problem was only evident on one ARC. If the person posting the problem tells us which ARC they are on, then someone else on that ARC can confirm whether it is a problem with the ARC or not.
Bingo!

Reactions: ncted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)