Is it ok to use a splitter?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Optical Serenity

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 4, 2006
Marietta,GA
I have one RG-6 line running to my cable model from the wall (I have comcast 6mb) and it just so happens my cable modem & router are right behind my tv. I was wondering if it would be ok to use a splitter, and run a RG-6 line to the TV from one output of the splitter, and another RG-6 to the modem? I don't want to lose any data speed or reliability, but it would be nice to use the PiP on the TV sometimes and have the cable as a backup.

Note: I do not use cable from comcast at all for watching TV. But, being as how it is there, I may as well have it hooked up just in case or when the rain fade is really bad.

And, what splitter would be best if this is ok?

Have you tried hooking up the TV to see if it works. Just because you have internet doesnt mean the TV is working also. That would then make the splitter a moot point.

Yes I have tv as well, and yes it works.

I have a powered splitter / multiplexer in the house, with one TV and then the cable modem attached to it and it's doing great.

Don't forget about a high pass filter. Or is it a low pass filter? I can't remember. But, it is a filter that goes on the coax that feeds your tv. It keeps the tv signals from interferring with the internet signals. So you would have it hooked up like this:

CABLE FEED ------> SPLITTER (Use a high quality, one that is rated for digital) OUTPUT 1------> cable modem OUTPUT 2 ---> Filter----> TV (or splitter to feed multilpe tvs). That is how our cable company installs some houses here. I had it hooked that way in the past with no loss or issues at all. The Filter I found on the internet for a couple of bucks. Be carefull! I have seen them as much as $99 as they claim to be able to get PPV - yeah right! Stay legal! It's not worth the price if you get caught!

Don't forget about a high pass filter. Or is it a low pass filter? I can't remember. But, it is a filter that goes on the coax that feeds your tv. It keeps the tv signals from interferring with the internet signals.

What do you mean?
You don't need a filter, the downstream channel for the modem is somewhere among the video signals (it varies from system to system) and you need to allow the upstream (return) channel to pass (usually below 50mhz).

If you use a splitter and the levels are high enough all will work fine!!

Yes, a filter is required for a proper installation. This is how the cable companies do it if they are tapping into the cable modem line for tv. It prevents interference from back feeding into the modem and into the drop outside. Without a filter, it is possible to have degrading interference on your end, as well as to others who are on your node. I will see if I can find the filter I am looking for. It is either a high pass or a low pass.

here is a link to a diagram and explanation:

http://www.askacom.com/pdf%20files/mmds%20accessories.pdf#search='hpf54%20cable%20modem'
scroll down to typical modem/tv installation

Our local Mediacom, as well as Comcast does hook ups like this when they can't run a dedicated line to either the modem or tv. You want to make sure that you do not split the cable modem side more than once. If you need more than 1 tv hooked up, put a splitter on after the filter. The best way is to have a dedicated line for each service (modem and tv).

I looked at that web page , they are showing a high pass filter on the TV side of the tap. If that filter really does anything is debatable,
The return signal (upstream) from the modem is below 50mhz, when using a tap as opposed to a splitter you have the additional isolation factor of the tapped signal to the untapped signal. If a STB is involved it could have a return signal that will also be below 50mhz.

I will repeat just put the splitter in and see what happens.

I am not debating if it works or not, I am just passing along how the cable company does it. I know they are clueless about alot of things, but they must do it for a reason?

If you cause interference to others on your node, how will you know if it works or not? I guess the best thing to do is call your cable company and let them hook it up for you. Then you know it should be ok.

If you have a STB, it will block the return from the STB. They do not put the filter inline when using an STB. There are alot of companies running ads that claim free PPV, and they sell you a HPF-54. All it is doing is blocking the communiction from the STB. Someday you will have to pay for the PPV. Could be very costly :) In years past, without the filter my cable internet speed was reduced, and I had packet loss issues. With the HPF-54 in place, there was no loss of speed or packet loss. YMMV.

I'm using a 5 MHz - 1 GHz splitter on the line that ends here at my desk. I am typing this with a broadband speed of 4.6 mbs, and watching the Cardinals wipe out the Tigers on TV. Not only the cable modem needs a splitter with that capacity, but so do digital channels if you need that capacity. A few months ago I added a powered distribution center where the cable enters the house, with the same capacity. This allowed me to eliminate a number of splitters, and where I did use splitters I junked the old ones and replaced them with some decent quality ones with the capacity stated above. Much better picture quality on a number of sets now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)