Is it possible to remove apps from the Hopper?

olds403

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
michigan
I was wondering if it was possible to remove apps from the hopper. My stepson watches some pretty obnoxious and inappropriate material on YouTube and I would like to remove the YouTube app from the menu. I know he could use his phone to watch it, I would prefer not to have it showing in the living room on the big screen. Thanks for any suggestions.

Hey, olds403. While there isn't a way to remove the app from the Hopper, DISH does provide the ability to restrict the ability to use apps by setting up Parental Locks. For the steps to get this set up, please feel free to check out MyDISH.

Hey, olds403. While there isn't a way to remove the app from the Hopper, DISH does provide the ability to restrict the ability to use apps by setting up Parental Locks. For the steps to get this set up, please feel free to check out MyDISH.

Does it allow restricting use by app? The Netflix app is used as well and I don't want to restrict that one, only the YouTube app.

That's a great question, olds403. With using the parental codes to restrict apps, it would require the parental code to be entered anytime one of the apps is trying to get entered including YouTube and Netflix.

That would not work for me, as everyone would get pissed off every time they had to enter a code to use Netflix. I wish there was a way to delete the youtube app. It is a difficult relationship being the step-parent and creates issues with my wife if I say he can't do something and would be much easier if the youtube app just disappeared. Thanks for the suggestions.

Reactions: Cypresstree
For channels you can lock and hide....Is it possible to do the same thing with an app? Or atleast the channel the app is mapped to

For channels you can lock and hide....Is it possible to do the same thing with an app? Or atleast the channel the app is mapped to
Youtube is mapped to channel 371.. I think you should be able to lock and hide that channel

The app will still be in the menu and he WILL find it.

I know that, maybe if I keep deleting the account and making it more difficult for him to access he will give up and go play on his phone or Nintendo. I just get tired of the crap he chooses to watch in the living room, but being the step-father I am the bad guy if I say anything about it. I honestly wish it was not on the Hopper at all.

Reactions: Cypresstree
I would put a password on the Hopper so if he wants to watch programming of a certain rating (determined my you) the password is needed. Of course it will apply to everyone using that Hopper.

I would put a password on the Hopper so if he wants to watch programming of a certain rating (determined my you) the password is needed. Of course it will apply to everyone using that Hopper.

And that is the problem as that would really piss off the wife so I guess I will have to figure something else out. Thanks for responding.

Would it be possible to swap the Hopper with a Joey in your home? The YouTube app isn’t on the Joeys, but they do have Netflix.

It would require some cabling changes, though, swapping the hub node connections, so a call to your Dish installer (unless you feel comfortable doing it yourself.)

Would it be possible to swap the Hopper with a Joey in your home? The YouTube app isn’t on the Joeys, but they do have Netflix.

It would require some cabling changes, though, swapping the hub node connections, so a call to your Dish installer (unless you feel comfortable doing it yourself.)

Unfortunately the Hopper must remain where it is, as all the bedrooms have wireless joeys. The satellite feed comes into the living room behind the equipment and I do not think it is connected to the coax that goes throughout the house ( and I have no idea how or where the coax that goes throughout the house would be connected). Maybe I can just suggest if he wants to watch TV he can do it in his room on the WJ, that way I don't have to see or hear it no matter what he is watching. Just have to tread lightly. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Reactions: Jimbo
Unfortunately the Hopper must remain where it is, as all the bedrooms have wireless joeys. The satellite feed comes into the living room behind the equipment and I do not think it is connected to the coax that goes throughout the house ( and I have no idea how or where the coax that goes throughout the house would be connected). Maybe I can just suggest if he wants to watch TV he can do it in his room on the WJ, that way I don't have to see or hear it no matter what he is watching. Just have to tread lightly. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Your alternative is, by far, your best effort. I have no idea what age your stepson is but this is a learning experience for him. You pay the bills, you make the rules...

There are also parental controls on the yahoo account...you might have to log into yahoo from a computer to access them

I would discuss it with the wife first and have Both of you break the news to him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts