Is it possible?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rickberk

Original poster
Sep 25, 2004
Long Island, NY
Hey all- Don't post here much if at all but I'm in a quandry. I currently have iO cable from Cablevision and was a DirecTV subscriber prior to that. I'm getting tired of the garbage service I get from Cablevision so after getting several letters and phone calls from DirecTV, I'm considering switching back.

Here's the issue: I have two HDTV's and need a DVR for each. I also have one standard TV and need a DVR for that. I no longer have my old equipment. I called D* to talk to them about coming back, but in speaking with them, I find it will cost me $600 to switch and maintain an identical setup to what I have now.

Is it possible to do it for less? Am I not asking the right questions of D*? Talking to the right people? It just seems like an awful big chunk of change to switch back and I can't see swallowing that pill right now.

Anyone?

Hey all- Don't post here much if at all but I'm in a quandry. I currently have iO cable from Cablevision and was a DirecTV subscriber prior to that. I'm getting tired of the garbage service I get from Cablevision so after getting several letters and phone calls from DirecTV, I'm considering switching back.

Here's the issue: I have two HDTV's and need a DVR for each. I also have one standard TV and need a DVR for that. I no longer have my old equipment. I called D* to talk to them about coming back, but in speaking with them, I find it will cost me $600 to switch and maintain an identical setup to what I have now.

Is it possible to do it for less? Am I not asking the right questions of D*? Talking to the right people? It just seems like an awful big chunk of change to switch back and I can't see swallowing that pill right now.

Anyone?
Call back again, they are charging you $ 199. for the first HD DVR and regular peice for the 2nd HD DVR ($ 299) and it sounds like $ 99 for the basic DVR.
Thats actually sounds reasonable ... you can try calling back and see if talking with someone else will help.
They don't like to give out more than 1 HD DVR at a time, within a 6 month period, I don't know why they are picky like that, but I was unable to get them to work with me on a second one for about 10 months.
Could you get I HD DVR initially along with a HD rec. and a SD rec, initially and upgrade to them 2nd HD DVR several months later ?
OR you could Get the 1st one,(HR20) have them come out and do the install free, get the lines run where you will be needing the others, remember to have 2 lines run to where ever you will be placing the DVR's and then, go to BB or CC and buy the 2nd HD DVR (keep in mind they are still leases.)

I know it sounds confusing, but ... IF they won't do any better there are a few other options.

Jimbo

Call back again, they are charging you $ 199. for the first HD DVR and regular peice for the 2nd HD DVR ($ 299) and it sounds like $ 99 for the basic DVR.
Thats actually sounds reasonable ...

That is their standard pricing right now. There is nothing special about this offer that was presented.

I saw in one thread that there may be new pricing coming out on July 12 (no proof that his is true) so if you can wait a few days it may benefit you.

That is their standard pricing right now. There is nothing special about this offer that was presented.

I saw in one thread that there may be new pricing coming out on July 12 (no proof that his is true) so if you can wait a few days it may benefit you.

Also, if the OP is interested in the NFL I would also hold off for a bit, as the NFL promo should be here shortly.

Jimbo

Thanks for the help. I am going to try and call back. It just seems so silly that they want me to switch back- and my old HD equipment (HR10-250) won't work anyway with the new channels. But to switch back would cost me so damn much- how do they expect to compete with the cable companies in that regard? Even if I was getting significant savings on their package, I still would never make up for the initial cost of switching.

Guess I'll keep calling and see if I get someone more sympathetic.

Thanks for the help. I am going to try and call back. It just seems so silly that they want me to switch back- and my old HD equipment (HR10-250) won't work anyway with the new channels. But to switch back would cost me so damn much- how do they expect to compete with the cable companies in that regard? Even if I was getting significant savings on their package, I still would never make up for the initial cost of switching.

Guess I'll keep calling and see if I get someone more sympathetic.

Actually,
If you pay the up front cost at least you CAN pay it off.
The Cable companies charge you monthly FOREVER for that equipment.
Around here it's like $17.99 for the HD DVR plus the HD programming cost $ 12, plus you have to be into the perticular package , digital package, not sure how much more that package cost...
But my point is, you end up paying 25-30 dollars just to rent the box w/ DVR.

D* could do business that way, but I would rather not pay an extra 25-30 P/M for it.
Thats just my opinion.

Jimbo

I am a current subscriber and with a 2 year agreement I got 2 free HD DVR's 20$ off a month and 10$ off a month for 12 months. They also are fixing a previous install by installing a 5x8 multiswitch and running a 2nd line for a DVR in my bedroom. (The previous installer lost my greyhounds out my gate and in the confusion forgot the 2nd line and didn't install OTA to my home theater. They sent a guy out to fix it but he ended up adding like 4 diplexers and diplexing other diplexers and its a total mess. 1 5x8 would prolly fix it.)

I just told him I spend $140 a month and am a great customer for them... They don't want to lose me. I had 1 year left on my original contract and it would cost 140-150 if I ended... I told them I could buy that out easily because thats 1 month of service to me. They ended up offering all the offers I listed and I am a happy camper!

I know they normally will jump through even more hoops for new customers so I would HIGHLY recommend you either start a new account under wife or roommates name and a cell number that they don't have... They will give you pretty much anything you want to join up.

I am a current subscriber and with a 2 year agreement I got 2 free HD DVR's 20$ off a month and 10$ off a month for 12 months. They also are fixing a previous install by installing a 5x8 multiswitch and running a 2nd line for a DVR in my bedroom. (The previous installer lost my greyhounds out my gate and in the confusion forgot the 2nd line and didn't install OTA to my home theater. They sent a guy out to fix it but he ended up adding like 4 diplexers and diplexing other diplexers and its a total mess. 1 5x8 would prolly fix it.)

I just told him I spend $140 a month and am a great customer for them... They don't want to lose me. I had 1 year left on my original contract and it would cost 140-150 if I ended... I told them I could buy that out easily because thats 1 month of service to me. They ended up offering all the offers I listed and I am a happy camper!

I know they normally will jump through even more hoops for new customers so I would HIGHLY recommend you either start a new account under wife or roommates name and a cell number that they don't have... They will give you pretty much anything you want to join up.

Actually a 5 x 8 multi switch won't fix anything. You need the Zinwell 6 x 8 that is used with the new 5 lnb dishes. and ka receivers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.