Is it possible?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

1bad9

Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
North Alabama
Have a 3-SWM dish, a DVR and three receivers in my home.

I want to take one of my receivers to my friends house, about 10
Miles from me, every other weekend to watch football games.

I bought a dish on e-bay, but it is a 5-SWM with a 21 volt power inserter, and splitter. Do I even need a splitter to hook up one tv?
I have never had problems aiming a dish before, but I can't get a signal with this set up? I see a message the the receiver cannot connect with the LNB? I tried resetting it, but nothing. What am I missing?

Have a 3-SWM dish, a DVR and three receivers in my home.

I want to take one of my receivers to my friends house, about 10
Miles from me, every other weekend to watch football games.

I bought a dish on e-bay, but it is a 5-SWM with a 21 volt power inserter, and splitter. Do I even need a splitter to hook up one tv?
I have never had problems aiming a dish before, but I can't get a signal with this set up? I see a message the the receiver cannot connect with the LNB? I tried resetting it, but nothing. What am I missing?

Have you changed the dish type in the setup menu? Also, the swm doesn't need the bbcs, and no, you don't need the splitter for one tv.

Yes power inserter plugged in, 21 volts at LNB. Also changed to 5 slimline SWM in set up. Used a compass to get the azimuth close, used the scale on the vertical, or tilt to get that close. Connected a small tv to the receiver, in view of the dish, and still can't get a signal? Took the receiver back home, hooked it up and after a reset it worked fine. Any ideas?

My friend had dish network at one time, and we were using the cable that was used in that system. It had four cables coming into the house from the dish, and we just picked one out to use. Not to sound stupid, but how would I tell what type cable this is, and could this be the problem?

My friend had dish network at one time, and we were using the cable that was used in that system. It had four cables coming into the house from the dish, and we just picked one out to use. Not to sound stupid, but how would I tell what type cable this is, and could this be the problem?

Are you saying you used the Dish Network set up to try and get D* service ?
If so, you can't do that and tyhe Dish set up points at different Sats.

Overall, IF your using a D* dish set up, your not pointed correctly.

No, the dish net stuff was all removed except the splitter box that is mounted on the exterior wall of the house. All that was used was one of the cables that was there from the old Dishnet dish. The cables all look good, but I don't know if this cable would prevent the receiver from communicating with the LNB?

Have you changed the dish type in the setup menu? Also, the swm doesn't need the bbcs, and no, you don't need the splitter for one tv.
I have the same setup described by the OP that I use in our RV when we travel. I have never had to change anything on the receiver. It doesn't seem to care if it is a 3 lnb or 5 lnb setup. So I would think the problem is elsewhere.

I see a message the the receiver cannot connect with the LNB? I tried resetting it, but nothing. What am I missing?
From the message you are getting, it certainly sounds like something is wrong with your wiring or the SWM unit in your LNB is not working correctly. You get a "cannot find satellite" message if you are just aimed incorrectly. (Been there, done that.)

As stated before, you do not need a splitter for a single receiver. My suggestion would be to just set it up in your driveway with some RG6 and see if you can just get a "cannot find satellite" message. If you can't get that your lnb is probably not working. Your other option, but it could be risky, is to temporarily replace your 3lnb head with your new 5lnb head and see if that works. If you are careful you should not upset the alignment of the dish and that would at least let you know if you have a faulty lnb. I have a 3 lnb dish at home and a 5 lnb dish at our RV. When we travel I take the bedroom HDR with us and never change any of the settings.

No, the dish net stuff was all removed except the splitter box that is mounted on the exterior wall of the house. All that was used was one of the cables that was there from the old Dishnet dish. The cables all look good, but I don't know if this cable would prevent the receiver from communicating with the LNB?
Pllease describe the splitter box. If it is a ground block it probably is ok anything else may be your problem.

Well, the splitter that came
With the 5SWM off e-bay is about 3" long and 2" wide, approximately. It has two red connections, for the power inserter, and I think it's an 8 way splitter? Anyway, I took it out and used the Dishnet ground block to connect the cable from the DTV dish to the receiver.....still can't communicate with LNB! I'm not sure if I have RG6 cable, and based on what I have read, that could be My problem. Also, I read that if the receiver was unplugged for some
Period of
Time, I may have to call the 800# and enter my
Phone
Number, then the error code, and it will be reset?

I'm thinking you should take a new piece of RG 6 and use just to test it, run one from the dish to the Power inserter and then to the recvr and then Repeat Sat Set up, it should auto detect the set up your using at the time.

Look in the menu, if you can get there and it will tell you what it SEES.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts