Is it True

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

nmfiredawg

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 28, 2007
Ok I have been a E person for going on a long time. I think 1997 or 1998. Since then I have been doing two receivers and paying the 5 dollar additional receiver fee.

Well I was talking to my friend that has the competition. He buys his receivers from like places as ebay. He says that if he buys the receiver they check it to make sure it is valid and then for 25 dollars they send him a activation card. He doesn't pay a a access fee each month.

He says that after the three year lease then they don't charge you afterwards.

So why doesn't E do something like this? If I can buy my own equipment (Which I have doen except for the 622) then why do I have to keep paying them for the use of it.

Oh and maybe I should have put this in the main E forum not HD. sorry

Last edited:
Getting a current card has nothing to do with eliminating the lease fee/additional receiver fee. Buying the receivers from another source does not change the fees either. The fee is only eliminated if you only have one receiver. It doesn't sound like your friend knows what the fees are to begin with and thinks he has found a way around them. As far as any other differences the competition has, you will have to check with them.

I know he has more then one receiver and does pay D, he goes through the deal with Qwest. He actually just upgraded to everything. It might be that he doesn't look to well at his bill, but don't think he will be to far off.

I'm sure he's talking about pirated smart cards. D was known for being able to place any card in for the receiver to work. E has all of their cards built into the the PC boards. For a long time dishhasn't allowed any smart card to activate except new ones they sent out to you

If your friend has had Directv since the days of Primestar he may actually have an account that allows for 1 mirroring free for any and alll of his owned receivers. Thus by buying receivers on ebay and getting new cards he owns these and does not pay additional receiver fees. Otherwise he is full of baloney.:)

Maybe he has been with them for awhile. He says he calls D and gets a new card from them for $25. He thinks that his new price is around 99 a month, but he doesn't hav HD yet. He has six active receivers, but says he is going to four. I think I will stick with E.

You have two single tuner receivers. Change them to one dual tuner and as long as you have a phone line, you don't pay the extra fee for the second tuner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)