Is moving with your Dish account actually free?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jfkittredge

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
Tucson, AZ
I will be moving to a new house in the same city over the summer. According to the Dish website, getting a new dish installed and having the service transferred is free, but it says that some restrictions may apply and fees may apply for *some* customers. None of the CSRs I have spoken to are able to give me a straight answer about how much this is actually going to cost me. Have any of you moved your Dish service? If so, how much did it end up costing you? Does having the service plan make it any cheaper?

Thanks!

I have moved twice w/ Dish. Neither time was I charged for anything. One house wasn't even wired for the inside cables yet and they hooked all those up. I'd say their process works really well. I do have the service plan, but don't think that was any factor.

As far as I know: For all normal DHA accounts the move is always free, same for flex. Pre-pay I'm not sure. Anything with a 500+ or 1000+ install is $99 unless you bring the dish and switch along

Wildblue and anything that need 118.7 has an extra $100 charge.

There still may be a $100 for other accounts as well (ie: if you get cut off every month for not paying your bill, chances are you'll be paying $100), but it depends on the account.

It should be free if Dish still want to keep a customer away from other competitors.

adkinsjm said:
Moving with cable isn't always free.

If you are saying new cable isn't free for the install.....a standard install is free. Custom work will of course cost as that is dishs policy for new and old customers.

I was moved for free. The antenna was already on the home, but needed to be re-pointed. The installer spent about 3 hours on site tracing down wires and getting three different receivers hooked up. A 622 just died and a replacement is coming in a few days. After that I'll be upgrading to a 722K to replace the 501 and 510, which will require another visit. Should be free as well.

If the customer is a turd they are costing dish and dish customers money. Let them go

Except sometimes the customer is still under a contract commitment. Seems a little unfair to tell someone they legally have to pay for your service (or a large bulk fee they may not be able to afford for breaking the contract), but then refuse to set up a dish at their new place of residence so they can actually use the service. It'd be a little like your electric company continuing to charge you a monthly fee but turning off the power. Now, if they charged a fee for moving the thing but said if you don't pay it, we'll waive your contract obligations and you can look elsewhere for service, that'd be more reasonable.

HanoverPretzel said:
Except sometimes the customer is still under a contract commitment. Seems a little unfair to tell someone they legally have to pay for your service (or a large bulk fee they may not be able to afford for breaking the contract), but then refuse to set up a dish at their new place of residence so they can actually use the service. It'd be a little like your electric company continuing to charge you a monthly fee but turning off the power. Now, if they charged a fee for moving the thing but said if you don't pay it, we'll waive your contract obligations and you can look elsewhere for service, that'd be more reasonable.

The thing is new customers are not generally in "turd" status. If you don't pay ur bill on time you are costing the comp money as so many people have stated before. And when it requires a 500+/1000+ dish/lnb or WB install it is more than a normal install and I would say may require more work. I'm not an installer so it may not. But I do know getting a WB modem to lock can be hit or miss

It does take more work, or did at least because of the external switch. I have a DPP 500+ on my van, but have yet to use it.

csmith5111 said:
The thing is new customers are not generally in "turd" status. If you don't pay ur bill on time you are costing the comp money as so many people have stated before. And when it requires a 500+/1000+ dish/lnb or WB install it is more than a normal install and I would say may require more work. I'm not an installer so it may not. But I do know getting a WB modem to lock can be hit or miss

I dont think its the more work part that makes dish charge for the 500+/1000+ equipment, i think its to offset the cost of the dish and equipment.

Dishman1978 said:
I dont think its the more work part that makes dish charge for the 500+/1000+ equipment, i think its to offset the cost of the dish and equipment.

Good point. Should have put that in there. Thank you for catching that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts