Is my 622 dead?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

RickyEarl

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Got home from 4th of July trip about an hour ago, and the 622 in my bedroom was making a loud fan noise and the TV1 green light was flashing fairly fast. I had no picture via HDMI. Plugged in the component cables (just in case), and same deal.

Unplugged the receiver for about 10 minutes and plugged it back in. Now it's flashing really slow (on for about 5 minutes, off for 30 seconds, repeat). Still no picture at all.

Called Dish and they said the receiver was in "recovery mode" and to wait up to 2 hours (starting from when I hung up) and call back if no picture then.

In case it matters, I got this receiver via RA last week when my original 622's HDMI jack finally gave out. It worked the first two days I had it, then I went out of town. It's been plugged in and turned "off" since Thursday (July 3) morning.

I'll wait it out and update, but I'm skeptical about the "recovery" thing.

I've got no real tech data to back this up but in my opinion it's jacked. Being "new" it ought not to have to do recoveries yet.

Even if it starts to behave I'd always be wondering if just as I had a disk full of good stuff I was saving it would quit entirely.

I'd stay on Dish's case until they send you a other "new" one. I say "new" because it's generally thought that free replacement DVRs are refurbs unless none are available and they have to ship you a real "new" one.

But that's just my opinion. YMMV

Not looking good. Still doing the same thing.

Yep, I've got a recording story too. My last 622's HDMI died, so I hooked it up via component and moved all my stuff to the external HDD. When I got this one hooked up, I moved some of it back, including my kids' favorite programs. Now they're likely gone.

You're right about "new" thing. The box this one came in clearly said "REMANU VIP622" on the label.

Wonder if this is enough hassle to get me a 722?

BTW, the box is dead. Dish was not intererested in giving my a replacement 722. I went up three levels and no luck on the upgrade. They even gave me a long speech about the fact that they were going to inspect this box upom return and if the problem was deemed to be my fault, I would be charged for the box and the warranty on my new box would be voided.

I've been a Dish customer for 7 years, and have always had the absolute highest tier of channels available (I literally have every channel they will sell me), yet they treat me like I'm stealing. It may be time to try DTV and take advantage of the new customer freebies.

OK, done. Got the form "thank you for contacting us" email. Should I expect a reply other than that?

Well, look at that! My 622 is doing the same damn thing. I've been out of town for the past 2.5 weeks. I get home last night from a long night/morning/day of traveling only to hear the whirling of my 622 with a quick flashing green light. Tried holding the power button in, tried unplugging. Nothing. After unpluging twice it actually did finally cut on, run a check switch, and it worked. However, I got up this morning and it's doing the same damn thing: fan whirls and cuts off, green light flashes on and off slowly. I can't get a picture at all. Same thing as you describe above.

B/c I've been gone for 2.5 weeks I don't know when the problem started. It can't be coincidental that mine is doing the same as yours at pretty much the same time? It looks like there was a software upgrade... Is there an issue there? Also, what is meant by "recovery mode?" Recovery from what?

I haven't called dish yet. I've had dish for about two years now... This is my 2nd 622, so it is a refurb as well. My contract is past, so believe me I will work that angle when/if I talk to them.

Any help would be appreciated.

'Recovery mode' means restore OS inside flash chip; usually it doing by small bootloader part what attempting connect to 'home' transponder then download current SW and restore corrupted code.

Well, look at that! My 622 is doing the same damn thing. I've been out of town for the past 2.5 weeks. I get home last night from a long night/morning/day of traveling only to hear the whirling of my 622 with a quick flashing green light. Tried holding the power button in, tried unplugging. Nothing. After unpluging twice it actually did finally cut on, run a check switch, and it worked. However, I got up this morning and it's doing the same damn thing: fan whirls and cuts off, green light flashes on and off slowly. I can't get a picture at all. Same thing as you describe above.

B/c I've been gone for 2.5 weeks I don't know when the problem started...

I never got a picture of any kind on the screen, not even a dish error message, so you maybe better off than me. Or maybe not.

Mine started the same thing this morning 7/9/08. One green light, whirling fan, no output. I'm component video by the way.

Came home from work on lunch to check it out. Unplugged the power from the wall, same problem. Then did a front panel reset, guess what; front panel lights come on, goes through a regular boot sequence.

Everything great except now, I cant see 119.

Has there been a software change?

Seems like alot of folks are singing the same 'fan whirling' blues.

I never got a picture of any kind on the screen, not even a dish error message, so you maybe better off than me. Or maybe not.

Ya, it worked once. Still can't get anything. Dish is getting a call tomorrow. Not real happy about this. Interesting that one more person has had the same issue. I'll check the SN to see if I got the software... maybe there's an issue with the new update.

Same here. My 622 had been working flawlessly for around a year. Then, a month or so ago it started doing the same thing. Lots of fan noise, flashing TV1 light. Tried rebooting via plug, plugged straight into wall outlet, etc. Dead as a doornail.

Dish sent me a replacement and charged a $25 shipping fee. The replacement worked fine for about a week and now it is doing the same thing.

Called Dish and they are going to send another replacement. I told the rep I am not paying a shipping fee for a product that craps out every week, so she talked to her supervisor and said they will waive it. We'll see if that actually happens. It seems to me that this is software problem since so many people have suddenly started experiencing the same thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts